• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The first 6 months.... my story!

ditzeeblonde

So I'm six months out & figured I'd update my journey.

Whats happened... well first & foremost I have a life now, my house, my kids, my health have all benefitted from my op. My house now actually gets attention, its clean & tidy, the washing gets done, my kids get the fun & playtime they deserve & my health, well I forgot what it was like to feel like me! I no longer am that person that spends most of my day on the sofa... which is why I'm not on here so much! I have so much that fills my days & I find it hard to sit still (of course I still like to try!;))

I have dropped from 247 to 174lbs in the 6 months... from Sept to Dec I was dropping a stone a month but Christmas came & some of the old demons raised their heads. I'm one of the lucky or unlucky ones (depending on yr viewpoint) as I don't seem to dump badly. I can have a small amount of what I fancy (then I do feel sicky) but don't have the major symtoms that alot get. This has really suited me as I haven't shared my op with many so I feel pretty normal for nights out, dinners at friends etc etc.

Since December I have had to diet as hard as I did before my op to lose weight, losing approx 1-2lb per week unless I drop my carbs low (then its 3-4lbs).... carbs are a huge issue for me, (was type 2 diabetic pre op) I still get the 'omg I need to dive into a biscuit barrel feeling if I have too many' I have to constantly watch my carbs as I have suffered from hypo's & hyper's post op if I don't keep a close check on them. I use myfitnesspal daily to keep an eye on my carbs & calories but I never looked at my op as being for weightloss, I've spent my entire life learning how to lose weight, I know how to do it but what this op has given me is the ability to maintain, if I have a wobble it doesn't end in a massive binge, immediately I'm back on track & regaining control.... this never happened preop, I'd be off the wagon for months or weeks before trying to regina control!

There have been times when I've been hacked off that I've had to 'diet' harder than before, infact its been more difficult as my body doesn't respond how it used to, so I've had to learn all over again! There are times when I think I took the easy way out & there are times when I think OMG this is incredibly hard to manage, is it disheartening when you only lose 1lb a week, yes of course it is but usually you are rewarded with a big loss later in the month... the past 2 weeks I have lost over half a stone so it still happens when you least expect it!!

Life post op is so very different... I have a job, would never have had the confidence to apply for one before, I have kids that get fun from their mum, I have a house that people can rock upto & it looks presentable, I am dressing like a normal person & don't stand out in the crowd, I can walk, run upstairs, don't sweat, don't have to stretch my ankles out for hours to be able to walk, I enjoy a glass of wine, good food (that doesn't rule my life), I have skin I'm not happy with, I have issues that I didn't expect, how much more judgemental I am of my body now, clothed its great, undressed it aint pretty BUT my husband loves the new me & he's the only one that matters!

I know this is a bit indulgent sharing my story of it so far but I hope that something I've said will touch home to someone else..... its not all a bed of roses, don't expect it to be the magic solution... its amazing but only if you work with it & it can hack you off as much as it pleases you BUT at the end of the day..... it gives you the life you've always dreamed of!!

L. xxx

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Ditz,I am nearly a month out and find the juggling of food and fluids quite a challenge but feel sooooooooooo much better already!Maz x

Aww Bless Linzi,

You seem so much happier and it's a pleasure to read your story so far...

It's certainly a new and better world...

I'm finding the myfitnesspal to be really helpful and it keeps me well on track...

Good luck and keep in touch.

Love and hugs xxx

Thanks for sharing Ditz,I am nearly a month out and find the juggling of food and fluids quite a challenge but feel sooooooooooo much better already!Maz x
Getting my fluids in has been a major battle... but the days that I do well with my water are the days that the weight drops. Its a hard juggling act but becomes habit very soon. I have a bottle of water permenantly attached to my hand.

Enjoy yr journey... the ups & the downs. xx

Aww Bless Linzi,

You seem so much happier and it's a pleasure to read your story so far...

It's certainly a new and better world...

I'm finding the myfitnesspal to be really helpful and it keeps me well on track...

Good luck and keep in touch.

Love and hugs xxx

Thanks Bev... I do feel guilty for not being around so much but life really has got in the way. I lurk & post when I feel I have something constructive to say (so not often!!;)) I think keeping track from the start is key plus a fab reference to look back on. You'll do brilliantly. xxx

I think you are so right there Linzi... never feel guilty, it's good that your life is moving forwards for the better!

You inspire me on myfitnesspal and I often take a peek at your daily intake.

I'm doing really well thanks.... and it's thanks to all the learning I did pre op... thanks to you and all...

Keep in touch love xxx

Fantastic Linzi ..... Im so pleased for you!! You have done so well and it has made a massive difference in your life....surely this is the magic the bypass brings us rather than a certain amount of pounds :D Well done XX

Aww Ditzi :D
Its so nice to see this update from you, i too did an update yesterday and its all the same stuff as youve put really, we are so lucky to have had this op and so blessed with the life changes it has given us :D.
I followed your story very closely as you had your op a month before me and it helped me to know what to expect.
I too havent been on so much lately and also wanted to share my post op experiences with people on here to let them see how wonderful it can be.
Good luck with the next 6 months hun and like me, we mustnt be strangers on here lol.
Well done
xxxx Dawn

you sound like you are doing fantastic well done im a week and a half past post op gastric bypass and i fing the fluid intake hard i manage about 1ltr a day sometimes more please keep us updated on your journey please
brad xx

Lovely to hear from you Ditzee. What's your job, may I ask?
You sound so happy and I also relate to what you say about having to work at the healthy eating; though I'm blessed I haven't had a proper stall yet, but my weight is coming off steadily rather than fast.

I'm also finding life is getting much busier and I have less time on come on the forum.
Enjoy your life Linzi, you so deserve to!
Grace xxx

:)Thanks Ditze-that's a cracking update:)

Aww Ditzi :D
Its so nice to see this update from you, i too did an update yesterday and its all the same stuff as youve put really, we are so lucky to have had this op and so blessed with the life changes it has given us :D.
I followed your story very closely as you had your op a month before me and it helped me to know what to expect.
I too havent been on so much lately and also wanted to share my post op experiences with people on here to let them see how wonderful it can be.
Good luck with the next 6 months hun and like me, we mustnt be strangers on here lol.
Well done
xxxx Dawn
Awww thanks Dawn... will have to go & check up on yr update too. Loving the avatar misses you look smokin'!!

you sound like you are doing fantastic well done im a week and a half past post op gastric bypass and i fing the fluid intake hard i manage about 1ltr a day sometimes more please keep us updated on your journey please
brad xx
Thanks Brad,, good luck with your journey how are you finding it so far?

Thanks misses. x

very inspiring Ditzee :) Lovely to hear how well youre doing x
Thanks hun. x

Lovely to hear from you Ditzee. What's your job, may I ask?
You sound so happy and I also relate to what you say about having to work at the healthy eating; though I'm blessed I haven't had a proper stall yet, but my weight is coming off steadily rather than fast.

I'm also finding life is getting much busier and I have less time on come on the forum.
Enjoy your life Linzi, you so deserve to!
Grace xxx
Hey lovely C. xxx

My job.. I'm a Sales Development Manager for a company about 7 minutes away from my house!:D:D I'm lucky that I haven't stalled either infact I'm now thinking about how to slow my weight loss down a bit now my goal is in sight... if thats were my goal ends but I think it might not!

Great read, thanks so much for sharing
THank you. xx

:)Thanks Ditze-that's a cracking update:)
Thanks Poppet. x

How lovely to hear from you... and how well you've done! You should feel very proud honey. Good for you. Enjoy your new life xx

Hi Ditzie it was a pleasure to read your story so far and inspiring to someone like me who is waiting paitently. It has reminded me that this is not an easy way out and hard work is still ahead of me.

Back