• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

*The Most Important Questions For Appointment With Surgeon*

Snowcrystal

Hi Everyone

I have my one to one tomorrow morning at 11am...Of course I am apprehensive to say the least.

What I wanted to know and I think would be helpful to all those who are about to go to group meetings and one-2-one's with their surgeons is:

What are the most important questions to ask him/her? :confused:

:):):)(((hugs))):):):)

Last edited:
hello snow crystal,my question was does he think band or bypass best for me,then basicly what happens when book in ect,how long does he think ill be in hospital,but with saying that he went through every think and drawn me diagram and explained why bypass best for me. hope this helps you abit chris, good luck

i went into mine armed with loads of questions.
which is best bypass/band, even though I knew what I wanted
how long in hosp, which procedure lap or open, why open, recovery out of hosp, catheter as standard, gall bladder, how big scar, exercise after, chance of regaining, what weight/bmi expect to lose/get down to and in how long, did he stitch or staple, B12 injections, blood thinning ( i have history of DVT), carrying lifting restrictions how long, if my post op care was always with him, chances of getting hernia,tummy tuck, how many deaths, swine flu
Most important Question - how soon for surgery !!!
To be fair he explained it so well that he asked me if I had any questins, i dug my list out and he had answered them all, He made me read them out though lol.

I wrote down questions that I was sure I knew the answer to anyway and asked, just to make sure.
I also wrote down how the weight affects me, like I cant kneel at all and my feet n ankles swell, as he may ask you.

Good luck you will be fine:D

There are so many important questions Snow, I think as the others say, write a list, ask for pro's and con's of different ops, how experienced is the surgeon and surgical team, which ops do they do most often, ask to have diagram drawn, ask what happens in case of emergency, what happens if you have a minor ailment at time of op. e.g a cold - will it have to be postponed, what aftercare can you expect to have, um things like that really x

My consultation was ages ago - but from memory, my questions were about how many procedures Mr Khan had done, whether he had lost any patients, what complications was I at risk from, and what aftercare was in place. I had already decided bypass was for me prior to the op and was glad that the dr agreed with me.

This is what I have from you all so far...feel free to add any more?

1. Bypass or Band
2. How many operations done by the surgeon
3. Who is going to do my operation
4. If surgeon had lost any patients
5. Length of stay
6. Lap or open (which is safer)
7. Recovery times for lap or open
8. Catheter (as standard?)
9. Gall bladder (remove or keep)
10. Recovery if gall bladder removed
11. Hiatus hernia repair
12. Stitch or staple or both
13. Testing of leaks
14. Prevention of blood clots
15. Scars
16. Post op care
17. MRSA, minor ailments, Swine flu
18. When will operation take place
19. Rescheduling if cancelled op
20. Diet after operation
21. Vitamins and mineral and VB12 shots

This is what I have from you all so far...feel free to add any more?

1. Bypass or Band
2. How many operations done by the surgeon
3. Who is going to do my operation
4. If surgeon had lost any patients
5. Length of stay
6. Lap or open (which is safer)
7. Recovery times for lap or open
8. Catheter (as standard?)
9. Gall bladder (remove or keep)
10. Recovery if gall bladder removed
11. Hiatus hernia repair
12. Stitch or staple or both
13. Testing of leaks
14. Prevention of blood clots
15. Scars
16. Post op care
17. MRSA, minor ailments, Swine flu
18. When will operation take place
19. Rescheduling if cancelled op
20. Diet after operation
21. Vitamins and mineral and VB12 shots

Snow I think you have it all under control.Good luck at the appointmentxx

Snow I think you have it all under control.Good luck at the appointmentxx

Thank you so much Gaynor

I'm having little pangs of nerves right now but I know I'll be fine tomorrow...My husband has taken the day off to come with me, so hopefully if I forget, he'll remember stuff.

(((hugs)))

Good luck hun xxx

:Dgood luck you will be fine, like I said earlier your surgeon will probably answer all if not most of them while hes discussing it all with you, just have it to hand and check it at the end, then ask away

How did it go? Were all your questions answered to your satisfaction? What op did you opt for and are you happy with your decision? All the best for the rest of your journey.

Rebirth

Back