• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions For Surgeon During Consultation

cah-ching

Hi Peeps,

As some of you know, I went for a consultation with The Hospital Group today. My review of the process can be found here: http://www.wlsurgery.com/wlsurgery/125709-consultations-surgeons-one-down-one-go.html

As promised I said I would post a list of the questions I asked during my consultation. Now I appreciate a lot of the answers can be found on this and various other forums, but for [STRIKE]piece of my [/STRIKE]peace of mind and wanting to hear it from the horses mouth (as differring surgeons say differing things depending upon who you talk to) I asked them anyway - no harm in it after all they ARE the experts in their field so they SHOULD be prepared to have you ask the questions and be prepared to answer concisely after all you areplacing your life in their hands on the operating table. One thing I should stress is no matter stupid you think your question never be to shy to ask it - I have no qualms in asking seemingly silly questions because I want and most importantly NEED reassurance.

So I implore you to ask. My consultation lasted about 2 hours in all ... and I didn't care. The only alloted me 1 hour, but I wanted reassurance ... keep this in mind also.

One more point to add before I list my questions; these are the questions I asked I am posting them to help you formulate your own questions. However you may feel to add or omit (or both) to the list below. Feel free to add to the list in the post as I like inspiration and may well ask further questions when I go for my other consultation in a few days time (see the other aforementioned thread!).

In no partcular order:

1. Will having weight loss surgery (WLS) impact other surgeries that may be required in the future?

2. Will I need to go to pains to ensure I tell surgeon of my gastric band should I need surgery?

3. Although reducing weight will increase my life expectancy, will having the band reduce impact upon life expectancy any more than if I had lost the weight conventionally?

4. Is there a possibility of the WLS failing? If so, what remedies can you offer?

5. Is there a possibility of my stomach stretching again?

6. Is the band meant to last for life or will it need to be replaced at some point? If so, when?

7. Will I need to undertake a pre-operative diet? if so, what does it entail?

8. What will constitute the post-operative diet regimen?

9. What are is the likelihood of baggy skin? Can it be mitigated in any way?

10. Will i be able to exercise as I normally do post-op?

11. The band port is under my skin;
i) please show me where it will be
ii) will I be able to feel it?
iii) will there be extensive scarring in the area as a result?

12. Will I be able to fly long-haul following the op? What are the implications?

13. What should/can I bring with me on the day of the operation?

14. What are the chances of hairloss following the operation? (I've heard some scary stories)

15. What are the average recovery times from the operation? What can I expect?

16. How many years have you been a Bariatric Surgeon?

17. How many WLS's do you perform each year?

18. What are the advantages of the procedure?

19. Lets be frank, what are the disadvantages over conventional weightloss?

20. Will YOU be performing my procedure?

21. Pre & Post-op testing, will there be any?

22. What is my expected weight loss in the first year?

23. What type of band do you use? (manufacturer)

24. What are the chances of infection? (What are your rates?)

25. What are the chances of band slippage? (What are your rates?)

26. What are the chances of erosion? (What are your rates?)

27. Will my bowel movements be different post op? (short-term and long-term)

28. Will I be able to have the operation if I'm on my period (menstrual cycle)?

29. I hear your aftercare is questionable ... outline specifically what it is you offer as after care?

30. You have already mentioned you perform these surgeries day in and day out .... I don't want complacency and/or boredom to set in when you are undertaking my surgery. Can you offer me some reassurance?

31. Tell me what advice you offer and wound care instructions you offer patients ater surgery? do you also supply replacement dressings etc.

32. How will I be discharged? I want a face-to-face post operative discharge with my surgeon. Can you offer this? As I'm not prepared to do it over the phone, by email or by carrier pigeon.

There you go. A list of questions I asked. As I said, some of these questions have been answered on the pages of this forum, and some are covered in the overall discussion anyway. However there is no harm in satisfying yourself.

I hope this helps ... and yes I REALLY DID ask the 32 questions above.

Cheers ... any questions you'd like to ask me, or any additions you'd like to add then please feel free to post.

CC :)

Last edited:

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
wow. good for you on asking them everything you wanted to know. I was the same with my dad's surgeon when he had a kidney op, and received some stick for it from my stepmum for daring to question an eminant surgeon. But I would never consider having anything done to my body without being 100% knowledgeable about it.
Bet the surgeon needed a lay down after seeing you though lol.

cah-ching

wow. good for you on asking them everything you wanted to know. I was the same with my dad's surgeon when he had a kidney op, and received some stick for it from my stepmum for daring to question an eminant surgeon. But I would never consider having anything done to my body without being 100% knowledgeable about it.
Bet the surgeon needed a lay down after seeing you though lol.

Thank you yorkiegal

He did look rather dishevelled afterwards :D

Sambucca

Brilliant questions CC. I hope you got the answers you wanted. x

gillabean

Really living now!
Those are very good questions. In fact, I wish I'd asked some of them at my consultation. Particularly the one about flying post-op, what was the answer?

cah-ching

Those are very good questions. In fact, I wish I'd asked some of them at my consultation. Particularly the one about flying post-op, what was the answer?

Hi Gillybean,

The answer was:

Shorthaul flights (< 3 hrs) - no issue
Longhaul flights (> 3hrs) - fills should take place no later than 4 weeks prior to flight, liquids only to be consumed on flight, if needed have the band fill taken out.

HTHs

Cah-ching :)

Rache

looking for my mojo
very interesting thread hun thank you for posting. I did ask alot of those questions in my appoinment too so I'm glad I'm not alone in having done so.
The flying one is very interesting too.

xxxx

Miss Tickle

Brill questions. I'd like to know the answers to all of them!!
Good luck on Saturday

Sambucca

LOL! OK. I have to get ready for my consultation with Mr. Khan now. I'll post when I get home. x

Ooh, what time are you seeing him, and where?

Bev

This is an excellent thread and everything has been thought about and included in this... great for those who feel uncertain about how to approach the surgeon... never be afraid to speak out and get the maximum out of your visit!

Love and hugs xxx

MrsPill

Excellent thread. I've got a couple more on my list!

What happens re: medication ie will it still work or will it got through the band stoma etc.,,will it get absorbed properly?
Also, what happens if you get a stomach infection ...vomiting etc. Can this affect your band?

So much to find out.:rolleyes:

cah-ching

Excellent thread. I've got a couple more on my list!

What happens re: medication ie will it still work or will it got through the band stoma etc.,,will it get absorbed properly?
Also, what happens if you get a stomach infection ...vomiting etc. Can this affect your band?

So much to find out.:rolleyes:

Hi Mrs.Pill - there is a banders section where predominantly banders go (I'm stating the obvious here lol :eek:) http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/there are experienced people there who may be able to help answer your questions ... or at least allay your concerns until you confirm things with your surgeon.

In respect to absorption of medication - that shouldn't be effected because there are no malabsorptive issues as with the gastric bypass.

Stomach infection would be treated more seriously and I'd broach the subject with your surgeon. If it's from the surgery then I assume it'll be treated. I also assume you'd have a complete defill to allow the stomach to rest and recuperate following any problems/illnesses and/or infections.

HTHFN :)