• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking out loud...

coogee

Hi all... this is my first post despite lurking and reading for a few weeks.

I have my first consultation booked for tomorrow evening and i'm pretty sure of my decision but I've just been pondering on a few thoughts... I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to share their experiences?

- I was really thirsty today and had a big long gulp of an ice cold drink... I suddenly thought 'I'll never be able to do that again'. Do you have a sense of loss for a long drink/big meal etc?

- Time off work - I own and run a coffee shop/restaurant and I"m worried about the amount of time I'd need to take of work... I think I'm Wonderwoman but I have a feeling that this surgery will come as a shock to the system.

- Wind... I suffer terribly with trapped wind now, I already get that pain in my left shoulder so I'm worried about that... does anyone have any advice?

- This one is a bit silly... but I sleep on my stomach, will I be able to do that again? I really struggle to sleep in any other position.

Having just written my biggest concerns down I realise that actually they are very insignificant... that is actually quite reassuring that the things i'm worrying about are actually not really worth worrying about at all! haha

Thanks to all in advance if you take the time to reply x

I was always a fan of long glasses of icy cold water so worried about that pre-surgery as well. Now that I'm nearly a year down the track, it's fine. I couldn't drink a lot in one hit for a few months but we've just had summer here and after some particularly hot days, I've discovered I can now cope with a decent slug of water.

Allow yourself at least three weeks to recover from what is a pretty big operation. Don't push yourself too hard, you don't want to make yourself sick.

The best thing to get the wind moving after surgery is to walk as often as possible. No one will expect you to be running marathons, but like so many other aspects of this process, the catchphrase is little and often! Further out, you may have probs with wind but you'll work out fairly quickly which foods aggravate things. Like watermelon.

You will be able to sleep on your tummy again, just be patient. I always sleep my right side and couldn't do that for about a month but after that I was good as gold.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Thats a relief to know that you can now take a slug of water... I realise its a ridiculous concern but it has been something that i've been thinking about.

Everyone's different and you might not enjoy things you did previously. I loved coffee preop but can't stand it now! Your tummy will let you know what's a yes or a no. Good luck x

Hi Coogee I'm 7 month post bypass & I do struggle gulping down fluids. The art is to just keep a drink near you & sip, sip, sip so you never get to the point of being so thirsty you need to gulp down a load. Easier said than done at time mind you. I'm a nurse in A&E & dreading summer (only when I'm working I must add) as I already struggle to keep up the fluids now!

Wind is a pain (in more ways than one) the art there is to let it blow free!!! Holding on makes it very uncomfy! Again difficult when at work or out socially!

I'm sure after a few weeks you will be ok to sleep in your tummy!

When you first start eating out it can be a tad stressful (if you're anything like me & hate waste) but it gets easier & you start feel more comfortable about asking for smaller portions or a doggy bag. I know people who take a container with them to take home leftovers! You've paid for it so why not!

Whatever decision you make I wish you all the very best. My only regret now is I wish I had surgery years ago. My life has already changed for the better in so many ways x let us know how it goes xxx

Thanks for your replies!

I'm very excited... and your replies have put minor things i'm worrying about a bit more in perspective.

I can wait to get my new life started after years of making excuses because of my weight.
xxx

I just had my sleeve on the 13th. It's hard but what the worse I am constantly thirsty. Just sipping doesn't take away the feeling if dry.... Any suggestion ?

I worried about all the same things.
I used to drink 2 cans of coke during a meal. I'm banded and have to wait 20 mins or more after food. A few days in and it's never bothered me since.
I used to dish huge portions in the early days because I was so used to it. I was gutted I couldn't get through and pushed a bit too much. Now I put a tiny portion and a spare bit in the fridge for later I always bin the spare but it's like a little comfort blanket.
I thought a few days off would be enough for me I too run my own business but I was wrong. The anaesthetic knocked me and made me sleepy. Listen to your body and don't do too much. Maybe source a little help now you may need it.
I've had irritable bowel for years and suffer with wind terribly. I did suffer after my op but mve around as much as possible try windeze or a colic relief. It takes a few days but it does go off by day 4 or 5. Don't hold your farts let them go and laugh or you will be doubled up. Hot water bottles and a back rub are wonderful. I lay flat and kept getting up and down and gravity shifted it.
As for sleeping I always slept on my tum with my face in the pillow. You will be so sleepy after the op you will sleep flat on your back anyway. Something in your brain keeps you off your tum. I've never gone back to my old ways I sleep on my back in side easily.
You will be fine honey it's normal to have these fears xx

Back