• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about quorn and protein

This has probably been answered before, I did search but couldn't find a complete answer.

I'm a vegetarian and I'm worried about getting enough protein after my op. I don't really drink milk either but I do eat quorn. Will I be able to get sufficient protein this way?

I'm seeing the surgeon at Charing Cross this Friday and I know I'll be able to ask the dietitian, but like to arm myself with as much info as possible.

I am vegetarian, so eat a lot of quorn. It's really not bad protein wise. Here is a comparison to chicken...

Sorry don't know why this is underlined and bold!!
Quorn

Energy (kcal) 107
Protein 16.3g
Carbohydrate 4.5g
(of which sugars) (1.1g)
Fat 2.6g
(of which saturates) (0.7g)
Fibre 6.0g

Chicken breast

Energy (kcal) 116
Protein 21.8g
Carbohydrate 0.00g
(of which sugars) (0.00g)
Fat 3.2g
(of which saturates) xxxxxx
Fibre 0.00g

Bean sprouts are good source too. I know people have said that chicken gets stuck but that they can eat quorn ok, so that's a bonus.

And if you are worried about your protein you can add in a protein shake. I don't do that because I don't like them, but would if I did.

If you eat cheese eggs and fish, you can boost your protein with them, depends what sort of veggie you are

Rx

Thanks Rose.

I don't eat fish, but will eat eggs and some cheese. I'm definitely not keen on the idea of the protein shakes, but would possibly use the protein powder in soup or something if I had to.

I've been a Vegetarian for over 30 years, so just be used to all the meat substitues that are available - but not keen on a lot of them. If I have to though, I will (such is my determination! :)) xx

I know how you feel.I have been veggie since I was 11. To be honest, lack of protein is not something I have worried about too much. I eat a small amount of cheese everyday. I don't eat meat fish or eggs so it's hard. I am doing ok so far without protein shakes (they actually make me vomit). I occassionally take a couple of quorn slices (for sandwhiches) to work to nibble.

Let us know what your dietician says

Rx

Will do. xx

I know how you feel.I have been veggie since I was 11. To be honest, lack of protein is not something I have worried about too much. I eat a small amount of cheese everyday. I don't eat meat fish or eggs so it's hard. I am doing ok so far without protein shakes (they actually make me vomit). I occassionally take a couple of quorn slices (for sandwhiches) to work to nibble.

Let us know what your dietician says

Rx

Hi - I also am veggie and have been for 30 years :)

Was also concerned about protein, but not so much now I am well into the post op phase.

I do use Quorn, but protein comes from all sorts of things - adding plain yogurt to soups for instance.

Also adding milk powder to semi skimmed milk for use in tea/coffee or whizzing up fresh banana with milk and milk powder.

The shakes are not too bad and I am experimenting with freezing the shakes in small portions using yogurt pots.

I know its off the subject, but my problem has been iron - I have low iron stores now so have to ensure I take the iron supplements every day and am cooking with spinach quite a bit lol!

Good luck and let us know what the dietician says :)

Hi - I also am veggie and have been for 30 years :)

Was also concerned about protein, but not so much now I am well into the post op phase.

I do use Quorn, but protein comes from all sorts of things - adding plain yogurt to soups for instance.

Also adding milk powder to semi skimmed milk for use in tea/coffee or whizzing up fresh banana with milk and milk powder.

The shakes are not too bad and I am experimenting with freezing the shakes in small portions using yogurt pots.

I know its off the subject, but my problem has been iron - I have low iron stores now so have to ensure I take the iron supplements every day and am cooking with spinach quite a bit lol!

Good luck and let us know what the dietician says :)
I use lots and lots of spinach - it's my favourite food. Just as well as I have a tendency towards anaemia.

Plain yoghurt should be ok for me (believe it or not, I don't eat fruit - apart from melon - I'm allergic to berries and bananas - awkward vegetarian that I am!)

Bean sprouts are a good option! I used to grow them too - must start again. I just looked up the values for 100g of them -Calories 27 Protein 2.3 Carbohydrate 3.2 Fat 0.6 Fibre 1.2

Don't forget all the high protein values in nuts and beans.
I'm a vegetarian too, gosh I didn't realise there were so many of us here. I'm not too worried about eating enough protein, especially once I can start and eat a little more variety after my op last Saturday,

Back