• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Third application since 2010

MoonCake

Have already applied twice since 2010 (first got turned down as I don't have severe sleep apnoea or type 2 diabetes, second because I haven't followed a strict diet plan)

Since the last application I tried Cambridge diet and lost 2 stone but couldn't afford to continue and put the weight back on, I'm now seeing a dietician at the hospital but they just told me to eat more and they were pretty pants.

I'm 19 stone and 5'6 and I have hypermobility syndrome and live on pain medication and my mobility is poor. I nee this op so bad, if they turn me down I don't know what il do :,(

I've already been down to London to meet the surgeon (before I got turned down first time) he agreed I should have the bypass but can't obviously go ahead without the funding.

I'm in Suffolk, Ive made an appointment to see my GP on the 28th to tell him I Want to reapply.

Is there any advice/tips to help me get the funding? I'm desperate and I don't have anyone to talk to.

MoonCake xXx

Jump through every hoop, and if you can't afford a diet ask to be referred to a dietician.

It's so unfair that there's different rules depending on where you live, some have to jump through endless hoops , whilst others get a relatively smooth ride.
Some wait years whilst others wait months.
I really do think there should be a national criteria rather than lots of different regional ones.
Lots and lots of luck for the 28th, let us know how you get on!

In the meantime, look at the different threads on here and read though some of the WLS stories, they really give you a good insight into what to expect.
If you have any questions there's almost always someone who can give you an answer too.
Em xxxxx

Thanks ladies,

I'm already doing all I can in terms of hoop jumping (seeing the dietician)

I feel the PCT are being really unfair as my GP, pain consultant and the surgeon all agree surgery is the best option!

Thankyou for the good luck, think il need it lol.

Glad I've found this forum :)

MoonCake xXx

Try enlisting the support of your MP. My friend is going through same problem & is finding her MP very helpful. Although as with PCTs each one is different. Worth a try. God luck.

Hi bellydancer,

What can the MP do to help? How do I find out mine? (I'm crap I know :-/)

MoonCake xXx

Hi!

Copy and paste this link into your browser.

findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Your MP can write a letter to you PCT, ask them to investigate your case and promote your needs.

Good luck! Keep going!

Xx

Thanks so much :)

Do you think I should write to him ahead of applying again on 28th or wait to see if it's rejected again first?

MoonCake xXx

It wouldn't do any harm to write straight away.:)

I don't foresee any probs in contacting him and discussing the present situation. He/she may be able to advise wether or not he should intervene at this stage and pre-empt the decision on the 28th? What do u think? Xx

I think writing now is a good idea, especially as I've previously been rejected twice!

Thanks ladies! I shall write the letter first thing tomorrow :)

MoonCake xXx

This Is a first draft so appologies for bad grammar/spelling... But does this sound ok? Or stupid? I have no idea what I should be saying!

Dear Mr Ruffley,

My name is Laura and I'm 27 years old and living in Thurston, Bury st Edmunds.

I am writing to see if you can help with my situation.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome whilst working at the London Eye, I was fit (although chunky) but able to work and enjoy life until I was signed off and eventually dismissed on ill health capabilities in 2009.

My mobility decreased and my HMS took over and I became depressed, taking daily prescribed painkillers and started to pile on the weight as my pain was so high it stopped me from excersizing.

In 2009 I also became pregnant with my son who was 6 weeks premature as my joints could no longer hold him, arriving on valentines day 2010.

In late October it was discussed by my GP and pain consultant at the hospital that I should apply for Gastric Bypass surgery as with my disability alongside being very overweight and in alot of pain,I'm unable to excersize enough to lose it myself.

In late 2010 I went to see the surgeon for Bariatric Surgery (Dr Adamo) at UCHL in London, who agreed that I should have surgery and that not doing the surgery would be more risky to my health.

Unfortunatly the application was rejected by the PCT in Suffolk for two reasons, I don't suffer from severe sleep apnoea or have type 2 diabetes.

According to guidelines, you can still be considered for surgery if you have a disability which would be benefited from by having the procedure and mine would be.

So I appealed/applied again in 2011, only to be rejected again (for a different reason) that I hadn't been on a 6 month intensive diet.

Since then I have been on the Cambridge diet and lost 2 stone but couldn't afford to keep going and regained alot of this, I'm also seeing the dietician at west Suffolk hospital and they have given me advice on what the PCT would like to see that would make me a good candidate for surgery. I'm due to see the dietician again next month.

I have made a doctors appointment for the 28th of June to reapply for surgery and I hope with all my heart that I get accepted this time and I was wondering if there was anything you could do to help support my application?

My main goals for surgery are to get fit, releive some of my HMS pain caused by extra strain on my joints from the weight, be able to be a better mummy to Luke as he grows up and last but not least I want to have a career and get back into work which I can't do at the moment and I desperately miss working as I'm a very social person and being home every day not working isn't me and to see that in the future gets me down.

Please, please, if there is anything you can do to help me get funding from the Suffolk PCT for a Gastric Bypass surgery, I would be so grateful.

Kindest Regards,

I look forward to hearing from you.

MoonCake xXx

I would add your PCT criteria to the letter to help your MP & attach any correspondence from your PCT particularly the reject info. I would put in the cost saving in the longer term of you having this surgery now i.e. drugs, NHS doctors & hospital appointments, future complications to the NHS with weight related illnesses. I would also put something in about the scandal of 'the postcode lottery' we have to endure with the NHS. From my experience they seem to respond to this. My friend found that her MP had already had a number of complaints about their PCT & her MP was most helpful.

I spoke to a lady from the PCT and she said I'm borderline as my BMI is only 40-41 and that I do t have the criteria they need and that my GP would have to apply differently under an exceptional circumstances individual funding...

She also said that IF.. Big if... I got accepted it would be at least 2 years from surgery and I'd have to go addenbrooks for 6 months and do different diets etc.

I'm so deflated I could cry. I really wish I had the money to do this privately. Life is really depressing me :(

MoonCake xXx

Adding the points that Bellydancer highlighted to the letter is a good idea. I think you should send it ASAP!
Keep fighting for your goal!

Good luck. & next time u get weighed put stones in your pocket to raise your BMI - worth doing every trick in the book.

Back