• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

This Band Is Going To Be The Death Of Me

Monalisa

Firstly I'll apologise for this negative post just need to have a rant!
I had my band repositioned in January thought great all off to a new start back to basics followed all the rules fine first couple of months then it's been a living hell too loose too tight coughing all night choking on acid one week can eat loads then as I am now two weeks of throwing up fluids sick to death of fills and de fills seeming fine one minute then just tightening without a fill worried to death its slipped again trying to get an X-ray first time I've ever said this but I wish I could rip it out but I know I'd gain even more weight still got two of the three stone I put back on to loose aaarrrgghhh rant over any help advice appreciated x

I feel so sorry for, im not a bander but it does sound like your having a horrible time I can only wish you better days ahead

Firstly I'll apologise for this negative post just need to have a rant! I had my band repositioned in January thought great all off to a new start back to basics followed all the rules fine first couple of months then it's been a living hell too loose too tight coughing all night choking on acid one week can eat loads then as I am now two weeks of throwing up fluids sick to death of fills and de fills seeming fine one minute then just tightening without a fill worried to death its slipped again trying to get an X-ray first time I've ever said this but I wish I could rip it out but I know I'd gain even more weight still got two of the three stone I put back on to loose aaarrrgghhh rant over any help advice appreciated x

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. If yiu can get a barium X-Ray then at least you will know if there is a problem. Mine was like that, too tight , too lose self tightening and my persistent cough which eventually made my life hell. You definitely sound like you need a defill at the moment though. You shouldn't be throwing up all the time. My band did all this whilst being perfectly in place, no slip no erosion no dilation.. Nothing. It was just problematic. It was hard to fine tune it. As you know I had mine removed after nearly 8 years and had a revision to bypass.

Only advice I can give is get an unfill and diagnostics done and take it from there.

Take care hun x

Thank you
I'm going for another Defil weds only had half a ml put in last time and before that I could eat everything even steak and I could eat fine post fill up to two weeks ago I've got a consultants appointment on 4th October when I can request an X-ray just seems like I'm going round in same old circles I transferred to nhs as a medical necessity but they would on,y fund band repair not revision. How you finding the bypass Chrissy did you consider the sleeve x

Thank you I'm going for another Defil weds only had half a ml put in last time and before that I could eat everything even steak and I could eat fine post fill up to two weeks ago I've got a consultants appointment on 4th October when I can request an X-ray just seems like I'm going round in same old circles I transferred to nhs as a medical necessity but they would on,y fund band repair not revision. How you finding the bypass Chrissy did you consider the sleeve x

If you have had reflux then a sleeve is not recommended. One of the potential downsides of a sleeve is reflux so if you have had it before its off the menu so to speak.
As far as the bypass is concerned, i have recovered well and can now eat practically anything just in smaller amounts. In my opinion it is a much better way to eat than with a band having now experienced both. When you have eaten enough you feel full in a more normal way in your stomach, though this can happen all of a sudden. With a band it was a higher up tightness in the chest area. I can eat salad , fruit, steak etc must chew chew chew.. I do not get sick as a norm.

However, I seem to be losing weight very very slowly, I cant explain it even with my current problems of being somewhat inactive and waiting on a hip replacement. My bowels have a life of their own but that is caused by painkillers mostly. So, it is frustrating, I put on 4 and a half stone whilst my band was playing up. Lots just over 2 in 3 months and even gained last week on 860 cal average a day. I still have almost 4 stone to lose to get to a normal BMI, I fear I wont get there. Lol. Still working it though, thats is all I can do. But sorry, no miracles here.

Seems to be a lottery as to if you are a slow loser or one of those who are almost at goal in 6 months.

Hth

Think it's not as easy second time around certainly hasn't been for me I only seem to get the reflux when something is wrong with my band did fancy a sleeve more than a bypass but suppose would have to see if it's suitable and then there's the cost don't know if I'd have the guts to go to Belgium like you have hope you get the results you want x

Think it's not as easy second time around certainly hasn't been for me I only seem to get the reflux when something is wrong with my band did fancy a sleeve more than a bypass but suppose would have to see if it's suitable and then there's the cost don't know if I'd have the guts to go to Belgium like you have hope you get the results you want x

Thanks hun. I hope you get some resolution soon. X

Ps. Meant to say, in no way do I regret my decision to have a revision to bypass. It's just a lot slower than I hoped but I am grateful for feeling so much healthier.

Think long and hard about a revision. Your band has and will still be causing scarring on your stomach that could make revision surgery more complicated. But you have to do something and soon. That is not a life. Personally and in my life I think it's a daft idea that you can do this alone without surgery of some kind.

Think long and hard about a revision. Your band has and will still be causing scarring on your stomach that could make revision surgery more complicated. But you have to do something and soon. That is not a life. Personally and in my life I think it's a daft idea that you can do this alone without surgery of some kind.
Correct, scarring is an issue, one reason to make sure if you decide on a revision that the surgeon has plenty of revision experience.

Last edited:
Hi it could have been me writing your post, I had all the same issues with my band. Which I had removed in 2010. I have now had a bypass six months ago and lost 5 stone, it is much easier to live with than a band although I had a rough time post op (see me diary).

I love my bypass - good luck to you.

That sounds awful Monalisa :( I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm going for my first appointment on Wednesday, I'm planning on a band but I'm scared now :/ I can't afford the bypass!

Thanks grumble tumble
If I had my time again I would look at the sleeve
But I know some people who have had plain sailing with their bands and others who like me have not but I'm trying not to give up
Good luck in your journey x

Back