• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thoroughly depressed and don't know what else to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

beccyh1978

Had my band privately 8 years ago it's been a disaster from day one.

After a massive change in circumstances and desperate pleas finally got them to agree to help me on the NHS, they've tried various medications, several tests and today drained it but told me they won't do anymore as I need to see my original surgeon. Can't believe I've wasted another year of my life, I'm heavier than ever, and feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. They're going to write to my gp but apparently Walsall won't do anymore for me I've got to be referred to see Mr Super at Heartlands but if that's the case, why on earth couldn't they just do that in the first place.

I'm so sick of it. I feel like I'm existing rather than living and the nurse (who was slim and attractive) and probably never been overweight in her life just kept telling me not to get upset as they've done the best they can! I don't think they've got any clue the upset and suffering some of us overweight people are going through.

Wish I'd got the money to have it out and have a bypass but apparently most people don't lose much after a section bad operation, nothing like a bit of good old fashioned support from the nurse while I'm sat sobbing my eyes out.

I can't say anything useful but I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I don't think the nurse had any right to say don't get upset. You cant turn upset off. You are upset - fact, and it is not surprising you feel that way. I think you need an explanation about why you have been refuse this far down the line. Perhaps your GP can help or alternatively PALS. Good luck xx

Had my band privately 8 years ago it's been a disaster from day one.

After a massive change in circumstances and desperate pleas finally got them to agree to help me on the NHS, they've tried various medications, several tests and today drained it but told me they won't do anymore as I need to see my original surgeon. Can't believe I've wasted another year of my life, I'm heavier than ever, and feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. They're going to write to my gp but apparently Walsall won't do anymore for me I've got to be referred to see Mr Super at Heartlands but if that's the case, why on earth couldn't they just do that in the first place.

I'm so sick of it. I feel like I'm existing rather than living and the nurse (who was slim and attractive) and probably never been overweight in her life just kept telling me not to get upset as they've done the best they can! I don't think they've got any clue the upset and suffering some of us overweight people are going through.

Wish I'd got the money to have it out and have a bypass but apparently most people don't lose much after a section bad operation, nothing like a bit of good old fashioned support from the nurse while I'm sat sobbing my eyes out.

Hi there
I would go to the GP asap and ask for a referral to Tier 4 Bariatric Services. You need to be aware of the local guidelines but where I am in Suffolk part of the finding allows band removal. I had a band fitted privately in 2006. It was the wrong choice but was given little guidance. I was sick every day. I did lose weight but became very malnourished, ruined my teeth through being sick every day (rather like a bulimic) and in 2014 went to A&E as an emergency as I was unable to swallow even saliva. After a week of to-ing and fro-ing the water was withdrawn under x-ray and I was referred to dietetic service and spent 6 months on supplements and tabs as I was so malnourished. Then I was referred to Tier four as a mater of patient safety.

Get as much information about the funding of services from your local CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) and get the policy relating to Bariatric Services and work the system. Getting bigger is not helping you mentally or physically but information gives you a chance to see how to work the system and start to put the pressure on. Your GP is supposed to be the advocate for the patient so start there and explain how low you feel, etc.

Hope this is off some help.

SJ x

Beccy I am so sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. I can't offer you any advice about your band but I can offer you an internet hug.. Please don't be to hard on yourself as Sam said we are human. I can't begin to understand how you feel, but there is always a way forward. Maybe this procedure wasn't right for you as a long term tool. Who knows?

Seek out advice from your GP, I would go to the GP first and tell them what is happening maybe they will refer you without the wait. Do try and keep positive, I know its hard but the is a solution waiting. Take no notice to the nurses, most of them are very good and then there are a handful who have just finished school, Yeah!!!!

I hope that you can find a solution soon, don't give up. xx

Hi there
I would go to the GP asap and ask for a referral to Tier 4 Bariatric Services. You need to be aware of the local guidelines but where I am in Suffolk part of the finding allows band removal. I had a band fitted privately in 2006. It was the wrong choice but was given little guidance. I was sick every day. I did lose weight but became very malnourished, ruined my teeth through being sick every day (rather like a bulimic) and in 2014 went to A&E as an emergency as I was unable to swallow even saliva. After a week of to-ing and fro-ing the water was withdrawn under x-ray and I was referred to dietetic service and spent 6 months on supplements and tabs as I was so malnourished. Then I was referred to Tier four as a mater of patient safety.

Get as much information about the funding of services from your local CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) and get the policy relating to Bariatric Services and work the system. Getting bigger is not helping you mentally or physically but information gives you a chance to see how to work the system and start to put the pressure on. Your GP is supposed to be the advocate for the patient so start there and explain how low you feel, etc.

Hope this is off some help.

SJ x
Same as Suffolk Joy says.

Sorry you are going through such a tough time @beccyh1978 and you have every right to feel depressed about it. x

Let's hope seeing some of the replies on here haven't put @beccyh1978 off from posting on here again.

People who post here in desperation do so because they know we have been there and understand. When someone posts that they are so depressed and don't know what to do, they do not expect to be questioned as to why they have regained weight and nor should they have to answer such questions.

@flyawayhome I think the original poster meant that a second band op would not be the answer. Also, @SAM55 is a very supportive member of the forum and its entirely possible that you have misunderstood what she was trying to tell you as you have even miss quoted what she said. That's the problem with the written word.

Please can we all remember to treat other people with the same respect you would expect to receive in return from them on this support forum. I will be removing the posts from here that do not demonstrate this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back