• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Three weeks in...i need advice...

Scarlet

OK tomorrow will be three weeks post op...and i am seriously doubting what i am eating..

I am on soft/pureed foods....however 3 teaspoons seems to fill me....and about a quarter cup of anything fluid.

on average i am getting in maybe 200 calories per day..and my energy levels are really effected by this. I went back to work a week ago against better advice and I am finding it hard.

My other half is worried he thinks i am not consuming enough as the sheet I have says tablespoons - but i dont know.

I have called the L&D - and awaiting the dietitian getting back to me.

What did you guys eat at this stage, how much were you eating?

thanks your all wonderful!

Didnt want to read and run Scarlet but cant really help as Im a bander but no wonder your struggling on so few calories.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice x

Hi Scarlet,
I was eating mashed food three weeks in and about three table spoons but we are all different
try to eat the higher proteen and calory foods soft cheese ect

hope you get to talk to the didtitan soon

Rich

I was also eating mashed foods at that stage, mashed potato with my all kinds of soups for instance. I could manage about 2 tablespoons of mash with my (chunky) soup. I would eat those laughing cow soft cheese triangles througout the day (still do sometimes).

Best to have a chat with your team/dietician to get some advice. 200 calories seems too low.

Hi Scarlet im 2 months post op, im eating a little bit more than that but not loads.I find ready brek gives me a fair bit of energy or muesli i dont think its to much to worry about.All the best .Jason.

I was eating same amounts as you too but as others have said I just tried to up the calorie intake by say not just having mash but making it cheesy mash and obviously you are getting protein then too which is a good healer. Hope you get your advice soon xx

Increase you fluids if you can - use a water bottle with a drinks cap - say a 500 ml one and refill it 4 x a day then you know you are getting 2 litres in. And sip sip sip all the time outside the rules regarding eating and drinking.

Have as much protein as you can - even shakes if necessary - you will be ill if you are really only having 200 cals a day

Hope it gets better soon

xxxx

Hi Scarlett,
I had my bypass on the 13th Jan - so just a day behind you! I too am finding it difficult to eat much of anything - today i have managed 1/2 weetabix x2 and about 1/3 of a potato mashed with a little milk and some cheese. I'm worrying its not enough calories also and i am really tired although am not yet back at work as i was advised no driving for 6 weeks and i live in a rural area. i have found if its too thick it sticks and i feel awful....are you making it sloppy enough? The other thing the diet sheet i was given says 6 small meals per day...are they having a laugh....i'm lucky if i can manage 3.

Fingers crossed for our impending weight losses!

Claire xx

scarlett, ive struggled from day 1 to eat enough, and still dont now, but im lucky i dont have to work, so its not so bad for me, because of it, my loss has been quite slow, but it has come off. like has already been said, if you cant eat much, make what you do eat count, and make it protein. babybel cheeses, (although i dont like em, lol), if you like them, pilchards, or a little piece of fish, cheesy mash, things like that, at least then your getting some protein in, and of course, make sure you sip sip sip. hope you feel better soon, and can up your intake. hugs xxx

Hi girls!

I had mine done on the 14th Jan!

So I'm finding it hard fitting stuff in, but a lot easier when it's something I enjoy. But I'm not eating 6 meals as recommended, and get tired easily, really need to up my water drinking! And I may have to have a look at what good protein shakes are about. Anyway this is what I had today.

Brekkie: 1/2 a weetabix with mashed banana and semi-skimmed milk.

Snack: laughing cow light soft cheese triangle and glass of semi-skimmed milk.

Lunch: 1 cube of sweet potato, 1 cube of potato, small portion of baked beans, all puréed together.

Dinner: a tablespoon of mashed carrot and parsnip, and 2 tbsps of puréed Weight Watchers cottage pie ready meal.

Desert: strawberry petit filous

I feel stuffed today. Do your tummy's still gurgle? Mines like a drain!!

I'm finding it difficult to drink all the water between taking half an hour before and after each time you eat!! Arghh.

Steph xx

Thanks girls that's been really helpful advice.

What I managed today was

- 150ml semi skimmed milk
- about 1inch of banana
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of hummus
- 3 teaspoons of quiche filling (no pastry)
And about a litre of NAS juice

It's nice to know it's not just me suffering.

My post op appointment is the 10th of march so hopefully I will get advice then.

Dont know if its any use to anyone but what i have tried yesterday and today is soup with added chicken...i poached and pureed a chicken breast, then liquidised it with some of the stock and have kept it in fridge. When i heat up some soup (about 1/2 cup) i add a spoon of the chicken puree....tastes ok and its all protein!

One question for you guys on another matter altogether..... am finding i am badly constipated despite stopping all painkillers and someone else who i have been in touch with who had op several months ago says she has diarrhoea every day.....am wondering if i am abnormal....can anyone shed any light on this unpleasant subject?:confused:

I think constipation is more common after surgery than diarrhoea, I know everyone is different but I think thtas true in the main. The iron tablets make it worse and if your on painkillers for anything that just compounds it!
There are lots of remedies available though, speak to your gp and he will prescribe you something suitable. I was given Laculose but luckily I havnt needed it yet although I thought I would a few times :eek: Good Luck and the pureed chicken is a really good idea for getting more protein in :D XX

Back