• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work

I had 6 weeks. Some have 3 or 4. We all heal at different rates and have different jobs. The more labour intensive your job is, the longer off the better. I was only just really getting comfortable after 4 weeks. I'd gone to my Doctor after 2 weeks, for a new sick note, and he just wrote one for another month straight off.

Hi, im a sleevie and was off work for 2 weeks. i was fine when i went back, im mostly office based and supporting support staff the rest of the time.

apart from having a nanny nap when i got in from work at night, i felt,and still feel fantastic. take your time and listen to your body.

Hi, im a sleevie and was off work for 2 weeks. i was fine when i went back, im mostly office based and supporting support staff the rest of the time.

apart from having a nanny nap when i got in from work at night, i felt,and still feel fantastic. take your time and listen to your body.

i was the same x

While I had the bypass and not the sleeve, I think the recovery times are similar for both. I was off from the office job I had at the time for 2 weeks. Definitely wouldn't have been able to manage after 1 week. Don't try and push it, you need the time to rest and heal. 2 weeks was plenty for me, I was actually slated for 3 but towards the end of the second week I was feeling good and going stir-crazy being at home so I called my boss and told her I was coming back early. She was flexible and said that if I need to come back just half days that week I could but I ended up being fine going back full-time.

I'm still on the sick, 8 week sick note from my GP for me. and am feeling really well.xx

Yep, hosp gave me a sick note for 2 weeks, went to my GP and asked him for a sick note as still feeling sore were my drain had been, he just gave me one for 6 weeks. mind i am the 1st client that he has had for wls, so it's all new for him.

I was told you are off work roughly 2 weeks but I must admit following my gastric bypass it wasn't enough time. I was feeling very shaky and at times quite faint as I was hardly eating anything. My GP signed me off 6 weeks.

I'm due to have my bypass soon nurse says 2 weeks some only have 1 week off I have signed up for 3 possibly longer on my request for absence sheet, as I have to walk and stand a lot teaching and supporting in a large comprehensive school that is spread over a large area. At the moment my latest date is 3 wks before the end of term so wot rush back if they move it to a bit earlier then I may go back for the last few days of term depends I need my body and brain to be back on the normal level not the sluggish post-op one I think I will have to start with.

Hi all

This might sound like a strange question but what did your doctor write on your sick notes?
I don't really want everyone at work to know :(
(newbie to this site :))

Hi all

This might sound like a strange question but what did your doctor write on your sick notes?

why should anyone find out .............your sicknote is private and confidential

My current line manager is aware of what I am hoping to achieve. However I am in for a new job and if I get it I don't want them to know. Yes it's confidential but where I work everyone knows everyone's business :(

After having a sleeve fitted how long do you have off from work?
Had six weeks as recommended by my original consultant partially due to fact I am a nurse and partially due to the post op diet then had phased return.
I have heard of some going back earlier (sometimes under pressure) and some being off longer due to post op recovery problems everybody is different. If you have physically active job minimum 6 weeks but warn your employer it might be longer, it is MAJOR surgery at end of the day.

I have told my employer it may be about six weeks and they have agreed to a phased return using my annual leave/non working days.
Luckily I changed my working hours last year to 42 working weeks so am able to do this.

I told my employer it could be 6 - 8 weeks and my GP signed me off for 6 from the date of surgery. 2 weeks out and there is no way I could go back as 2 of the wounds are still tender and I get tired very quickly. It really does depend on the individual, and how easy or difficult the surgery was.

I have been signed off for 6 weeks, but am thinking it will be more like 8 as my energy levels are so low xx

Hi all

You can get the Doctor to put post opp and then it's up to you what you tell them, I said gall bladder, good luck.

Hi all

I wasn't bothered who knew at work so never hid anything, however that said anything to do with your personal life/health should be treated as confidential by employer. It should only be for attention of department manager and personnel dept.
Make it clear to your manager that you wish any information regarding the exact nature of your sick leave to remain private and that you will take it further if you hear of it being discussed openly.

Back