• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work after wls!??

vanda said:
Hi everyone

I'm considering surgery and am a tad concerned about sick leave. I'm a nurse and work in the NHS. I havent contacted HR yet but informal enquiries say that I will not get paid leave for this and will have to take annual leave. Have those of you working with the NHS been paid for your sick leave?

Thanks

Hi I work for the NHS and I contacted HR with regards to sick pay, u are entitled to sick pay (I'm not as ive used my entitlement for the year on other sickness) depending on ur length of service u get so many weeks at full pay sick leave then so many at half pay. I'm not sure how it works tho if u are having surgery privately tho xx

Thanks for the reply

I am entitled to 6 months full then 6 half due to long service.

I wonder why it would make any difference if the surgery is private or NHS. I think I'll make a sneaky call to HR as my manager seems to think I should get it done over annual leave - bit mean really cos it will improve my overall health to get the op done. Will have to see what happens

I'm nhs too & having it as sick leave , was never any mention of using annual leave . Think your manager is being unfair .
Good luck with HR

vanda said:
Thanks for the reply

I am entitled to 6 months full then 6 half due to long service.

I wonder why it would make any difference if the surgery is private or NHS. I think I'll make a sneaky call to HR as my manager seems to think I should get it done over annual leave - bit mean really cos it will improve my overall health to get the op done. Will have to see what happens

I'm just unsure as if it's NHS and ur GP has referred u then they will see it as u needing where as if it's private they may see it as cosmetic and not compulsory. This is NOT my opinion in anyway!!! I believe if u need it, u need it and should be paid matter less. I'm having to use annual leave which I'm annoyed about but if I go on the sick I will only get half pay and can't afford it. So I've only got 2 weeks off after the op :( I rang HR but just asked advice and didn't let on who I was so it couldn't get back to my manager. Ring HR and see where u stand but u should not have to use annual leave xxx

i had 6 weeks off work, but then i work at a till in a shop and i have to help disabled people with there shopping.. and as they dont have to carry there shopping as usually goes under or on the back of there chairs... its usually very heavy stuff x

Raynebubble said:
i had 6 weeks off work, but then i work at a till in a shop and i have to help disabled people with there shopping.. and as they dont have to carry there shopping as usually goes under or on the back of there chairs... its usually very heavy stuff x

Yeah I've been told not to bend and lift after. I'm going back after 14 days but just going to have to try and take it easy. I work in a mental health hospital for sectioned patients. Just hoping everything is nice and settled when I return x

I had from Wed of one week to Wed of the next week, but I have a desk job. I also had my gallbladder out on Friday o last week and went back to work on Monday:)

Hi

I had almost 8 weeks off after my sleeve, and to be honest I needed it. Hope everything goes well for you :) x

Yeah I've been told not to bend and lift after. I'm going back after 14 days but just going to have to try and take it easy. I work in a mental health hospital for sectioned patients. Just hoping everything is nice and settled when I return x

If there is a chance that you are on reduced pay if you find that you need longer off of work, then please remember - If your pay isnt enough to live on you can claim statuary Sick pay from Social security and you can apply for housing and council tax benefit on a week by week basis. So if you need say 4 weeks off and you end up having to take two on half pay then for those two weeks you could try claiming housing benefit and council tax benefit, thats even if you rent privately (I don't know you living situation) and if you half pay is under the minimum amount then Statutory Sick Pay can be claimed.

So there are other options out there. This is your new life that is about to start, dont worry about the little stuff.

PurpleKylie22 said:
If there is a chance that you are on reduced pay if you find that you need longer off of work, then please remember - If your pay isnt enough to live on you can claim statuary Sick pay from Social security and you can apply for housing and council tax benefit on a week by week basis. So if you need say 4 weeks off and you end up having to take two on half pay then for those two weeks you could try claiming housing benefit and council tax benefit, thats even if you rent privately (I don't know you living situation) and if you half pay is under the minimum amount then Statutory Sick Pay can be claimed.

So there are other options out there. This is your new life that is about to start, dont worry about the little stuff.

Thanks for ur concern hun. I won't go back unless I'm ready, money or no money. I have a mortgage so wudnt get any help unfortunately and my job is quite well paid so I don't think statuary sick pay would help. (I maybe well paid but all accounted for with bills etc). It's terrible when u have to worry about things like this :( x

Thanks for ur concern hun. I won't go back unless I'm ready, money or no money. I have a mortgage so wudnt get any help unfortunately and my job is quite well paid so I don't think statuary sick pay would help. (I maybe well paid but all accounted for with bills etc). It's terrible when u have to worry about things like this :( x

Housing benefit helps with morgage payments as well I believe, they can pay a certain percentage, Im sure of it. Its really worth looking into :)

Oh darn I'm wrong :( http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=69 But you can get help with Council tax benefit... its better than nothing... I guess Aberdeen must just be really good with that kind of thing, I thought it was UK wide rules that said they had to help with all housing costs, private, council or morgage

Mortgage payment protection?

PurpleKylie22 said:
Housing benefit helps with morgage payments as well I believe, they can pay a certain percentage, Im sure of it. Its really worth looking into :)

Oh darn I'm wrong :( http://www.durham.gov.uk/pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=69 But you can get help with Council tax benefit... its better than nothing... I guess Aberdeen must just be really good with that kind of thing, I thought it was UK wide rules that said they had to help with all housing costs, private, council or morgage

Mortgage payment protection?

Nar my other half lost his job a couple of years ago and we got NO help wot so ever!!! Still struggling to repay things now 2 years on. I think we do have payment protection but don't really want to mess round with the mortgage. I'l sort things some how. Thanks for ur advice x

Nar my other half lost his job a couple of years ago and we got NO help wot so ever!!! Still struggling to repay things now 2 years on. I think we do have payment protection but don't really want to mess round with the mortgage. I'l sort things some how. Thanks for ur advice x

Just sorry I couldnt be of more help :(

Try not to worry though hun, things always do work out ok in the end

Back