• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work!

Hi I know this will have been asked numerous times but I am struggling to find answers! Can anybody advise if 2 weeks off work (teaching job with travel) will be sufficient after a bypass? I have to take holidays and I am struggling with time:) Many thanks for your help in advance:553:

I took two weeks off work as I couldn't drive there and back. I do work a desk job though and was ready to go back to it within a week. I know I have had it really easy - no pain and no side effects - but not everyone has the same experience. I was told two weeks by my surgical team and consultant. I would suggest go with what your team suggests - they have had much more experience than you or I! :) Good luck x

Hi, I had a Bypass, on leave for two weeks and I am a preschool teacher in a pack away setting of very active children and staff. I was more than ready to go back, I done everything apart from heavy lifting and was fine. Your school cannot discriminate when it comes to operations as its beneficial to them you being fit. I took two weeks mid term before Xmas then worked the two weeks leading upto Xmas. Everyone's different however I just hated being away and wanted to get on with my life. I took sieved soup in a flask and no one questioned anything.

Many thanks and well done on your fantastic weight loss! You must so pleased:) They have not really given me any guidance if I am honest! Infant I don't think it has been mentioned except when I said I was putting holidays in! Hopefully I will be like you:)

I work with disabled people so both my G.P and surgeon agreed that I must have 8 weeks off I was fine with that no pain or discomfort to speak of infact it was pretty much text book but will admit to been very tired for much of that time having naps during the day so I have to admit they were both right in on insisting on the length of time off

I had a bypass and I had 6 weeks off work and when I went back I found it exhausting...I work in retail and am on my feet for the 5hrs I am there. 4 weeks after my surgery I made the trip to work by bus to test myself and had to ring my husband to collect me as I was shattered.

Everyone is different though and you might be fine

Lynn x

Thanks everyone - I will just have to see how it goes I am expecting some days to be more hard going than others:) Its just the driving bit I am worried about as sometimes have to travel 3 - 4 hours just to get to work then do a full day then 3 - 4 hrs just to get home :(

Thanks everyone - I will just have to see how it goes I am expecting some days to be more hard going than others:) Its just the driving bit I am worried about as sometimes have to travel 3 - 4 hours just to get to work then do a full day then 3 - 4 hrs just to get home :(

I found two weeks fine (active job, on my feet all day) and survived long days at work - but it was a full three weeks post op before I felt comfortable driving long distances of around an hour and half either way. Week 2 to 3 I felt fragile driving, but did it anyway. If you can take an extra week do it. I think regardless of how long you take off you'll be exhausted for first few days.

Thanks Marz like you say I will feel exhausted for the first few days regardless so if I plan my days around that I should hopefully be fine:)

Back