• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long to stay off work and driving?

joanne7271

Shrink me please x
Just want to ask how long people stayed off work for with the bypass. I have a desk job so no heavy lifting or manual work.

Also, how long was it before you attempted to drive. I am the only driver in my house and have three children to get to school and me to work?

Any comments will be appreciated........

I had my bypass on the Thursday I worked 12 hrs on the following tues (I work from home on a lappy) I drove on the Friday (1 week 1 day after the op)

Thanks butterfly, I also have the opportunity to work from home but was trying to avoid this if possible as noone knows at work yet and i dont want all the weight loss questions when i get back as i work in a funny old office :-/ x

It really does depend JoJo...I drove 8 days post op, no problems. I've got 6wks off work, but could prob go back Mon which would be just over 2wks.
There are other gals here a week or so in front of me op wise still struggling.
You need to realistically allow yrslf a month x

I went back to work (desk job) after a couple of weeks. I was very weak from the lack of nutrition due to post op simple fluids only, and four weeks pre op LSD of four WW soups, four Muller Light yogs and 500ml of semi per day. I felt otherwise fine from the op. I drove about 10 days after.

Hope this helps.

xx

Last edited:
I'm a nurse and I took two weeks off. The driving thing depends you really shouldn't drive whilst you have stitches , but not everyone had stitches, I didn't. The rule of thumb we use at work is you need to be able to confidently perform an emergency stop without pain before you can drive.

2 1/2 weeks for driving and I'm going back to work (desk job) on Thursday which will be 3 weeks and 2 days. I had hoped sooner for both but I had a few problems post op.
I'm lucky in that I work for a small private company and they have not asked for a sick line, nor do they know what the op was for.

Hi

Everyone's recovery is different. Although have driven on a few occasions. Still currently off sick since op in December. Hopefully returning in the next few weeks.

Who is it that signs you off? The hospital or your own GP? (Sorry for jumping your thread) :) xx
No problem Laura, I just needed an idea as tryin to plan as much as possible before hand. xx

Thanks for posts everyone. I know I am usually a quick recoverer but I am taking nothing for granted. I will do a BIG shop before I go in and let work roughly know how long I may be off, sounds like anything from two weeks upwards.

Fingers crossed I dont have any complications and I will be back on my feet in no time xx

Back