• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tinned Meat

Josiegirl

I have read here and there on the forum that tinned meat goes down much easier than fresh meat. However I need to ask if anyone has had problems with tinned minced beef? The reason I ask is that when I open a tin it generally seems to have quite a bit of fat on the top. Does this cause problems?

Also been thinking, my dietician recommends half a portion of a frozen weight watchers meal i.e. Shepherds Pie or Fish Pie for the "Soft Stage" or pureed for the earlier stage. Has anyone tried these and had problems?

Sorry to be a pain but need to ask before trying stuff just in case :)

I used to take this greasy film off the tin of meat before I put it in a pan to heat it up. You dont need that extra fat so you can discard it.
I used to have tinned stewed steak and minced beef often and I found it very useful. I could only manage about a third of a tin at a time with a tablespoon of mashed potato. Its the gravy in the stewed meat that make it easier to eat.
Lynne x

i'm 9 weeks post op and finding meat really difficult so thanks josie for highlighting the joys of tinned meat for me x

added that to the list :)

I tend to have a lot of low-fat shepherds pies, or childrens shepherd's pies, but for some reason my pouch doesnt like the fish pies - tried few fishy dishes - and its a big NO NO - dumping, frothy mouth - you name it xx put me off for a long time, but give me mince any time xx

My life saver when nothing would stay down was tinned Irish stew,take the fat off and heat,you can get about half a tin down!Or tinned minced lamb/beef with weight watchers frozen mash.it comes in handy little portions.So I would have two mashed with tin mince Yum.It does get better,Ive just had a small steak and five oven chips for my tea!Maz x

Yes hash melts and goes down very well!You forget what we ate early on as we get further out and can eat 'normally'again!It doesnt take long,in my case I found around 6 months and I can eat anything really.Maz x

I would adore the recipe for Corned Beef Hash if you would be so kind :) It is something that, surprisingly, I have never made.

I have bought some Aunt Bessie's frozen mashed potato and also some Aunt Bessie's frozen mashed swede and carrots (I like them mixed) so will make the quick cottage pie as suggested. Also been thinking about those very tiny frozen cottage pies from Iceland, the ones with four in a pack. They are so small I expect they might just do the trick for when I get to the soft food stage. I tried them once and they were delicious. Have to check the fat content in them though - new habit I am starting to acquire is trying to find foods that are less than 5% fat or sugar per 100g.

Hash.
Boil a pan of potatoes with a small chopped onion.
Mash with a little milk and/or lf spread.
Take fat off tin of corned beef and chop.
Mix into mash
I put in an ovenproof dish,sprinkle with lf grated cheese and grill till brown.
Serve with baked beans or gravy!

made my mouth water , might try it myself!,,,,,,,,,,has anyone noticed how expensive corned beef is at the moment?,,haha,god im turning into my late old mum,god bless her! x,

Thank you so much Big an Bouncy for the recipe. It sounds totally delicious and I can't wait to try it once I am able to eat again. I really appreciate it :)

Also thanks for the tip about low fat corned beef. I will add it to my shopping list for Saturday - doing a last minute shop before the op as I prolly won't feel like it for a while.

Oh Starr you really make me laugh. Sounding like your mother indeed :) I got one worse than that, I looked in the mirror the other day and saw my mother looking back at me :8855: I am waiting for the time when I say to people, "When I were a lass, all this were fields".

Starr it will go further so won't be so expensive overall if you can feed the whole family or freeze portions for another day.

Errr ... sorry to butt in but ... maybe it is just the different parts of the country but in Yorkshire, corned beef hash is a stew made with corned beef instead of beef or chicken. Very warming for winter evenings & equally good for the sloppy stage once blended. Easier to digest than beef or chicken for a while (I would have thought, being a pre op'er with no experience yet). I intend to make mini portions for the freezer so I have control over the fat content. OK, that's me butting out :eek::eek::eek:

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Errr ... sorry to butt in but ... maybe it is just the different parts of the country but in Yorkshire, corned beef hash is a stew made with corned beef instead of beef or chicken. Very warming for winter evenings & equally good for the sloppy stage once blended. Easier to digest than beef or chicken for a while (I would have thought, being a pre op'er with no experience yet). I intend to make mini portions for the freezer so I have control over the fat content. OK, that's me butting out :eek::eek::eek:

Too right! Some joker I used to work with tried to convince me corned beef hash was made with mash and baked beans! Crazy talk! ;-) x

Sent from my HTC Desire using WLSurgery

Back