• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To all whom are waiting for Weighloss surgery

emma-louise

my new life!!
I just wanted to write this little message to anybody who is waiting for surgery...
It seems to be at the minute waiting times are longer or appointments are being cancelled.
As someone who's had gastric bypass 15 months ago.
If I can offer any advice to anyone,it's to use this valuable time to do all your research and maybe to practice a few things like drinking more,chewing more,eating more slowly etc..
By no means am I saying it's easy me saying this as I've had my operation.
But believe me my operation date crept up on me so quickly.....my nights was spent reading books,researching on Internet,watching people giving advice and info on YouTube ...attending support groups etc.
After you get your operation,you will be grateful for the time before to get full of knowledge!
GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT xxx

Thank you for that thoughtful advice...I had not even thought to practice my post op chew, have got all my small bowls and kids knives and forks. That is going to be my goal for the next month, master the post op chew and practice the post op attitude!! Thanks xx

OOnion said:
Thank you for that thoughtful advice...I had not even thought to practice my post op chew, have got all my small bowls and kids knives and forks. That is going to be my goal for the next month, master the post op chew and practice the post op attitude!! Thanks xx

Your most welcome,

It's still a struggle for me regarding chewing enough/drinking at times x
But I'm getting better x

I agree. I have only recently had gastric bypass surgery (16 Dec 11) and I found that all the reading help.

Please do not underestimate the diet bits. At the hospital I had to ask a friend to bring in a strainer as they were giving me soup with bits in it. They were not clued up on what I could have. I just remembered that I needed to have protien, so I asked for cups of milk.

I found I could only tolerate lactose in small doses, otherwise. So be careful about buying too many protein shakes.

I would say a good supportive friend can make your life easy!

Good luck

gdlondon said:
I agree. I have only recently had gastric bypass surgery (16 Dec 11) and I found that all the reading help.

Please do not underestimate the diet bits. At the hospital I had to ask a friend to bring in a strainer as they were giving me soup with bits in it. They were not clued up on what I could have. I just remembered that I needed to have protien, so I asked for cups of milk.

I found I could only tolerate lactose in small doses, otherwise. So be careful about buying too many protein shakes.

I would say a good supportive friend can make your life easy!

Good luck

Yes,
Another good thing is to get certain equipment in at home,like a blender,sports bottles,small bowls etc...as the better your organised you will find you can deal with your recovery time far easier x

I have been doing all those bits and getting my head around it all. I have ben slowly getting bits in, blender, ricer, warm food bowl, and started moisurising more and getting as fit as possible before the op.
Getting some foods in like bovril, soups, nas squash.
Have watched, read and talked about every aspect and still learning :)

Excellent advice, thank you x

flowerofshona said:
I have been doing all those bits and getting my head around it all. I have ben slowly getting bits in, blender, ricer, warm food bowl, and started moisurising more and getting as fit as possible before the op.
Getting some foods in like bovril, soups, nas squash.
Have watched, read and talked about every aspect and still learning :)

That's good,I didn't do the moisturising but did use bio oil on my scars.

Xx good luck

Just over 2.5 years post-op and I'm still learning! ;)

Brunetteandred said:
Just over 2.5 years post-op and I'm still learning! ;)

Lol...I tell you I'm just happy I found this site,as got a few worries myself at minute regarding my bypass x

What fantastic advice Emma-Louise.

I am just 5 weeks post op tomorrow and it felt like my wait was never ending. (Although it was only 4 months as I went private)

I spent the time researching too and I attended a support group. Plus I prepared all I needed to take to hospital and made up small portions of puréed meals.

Another really useful thing I did was sell lots of old clothes on eBay. As someone whose weight has gone from size 12 to 32 in the past 10 years I had many different sizes in wardrobes and the attic.

I am also a bit of a shopperholic :). the money I made helped so much plus I have some put by as the weight comes off. I am already down 3 sizes. I find larger lady clothes go really well on eBay.

Lastly but certainly not leastly I joined two wls forums where I asked question and made a whole new bunch of wls cyber mates. This was invaluable.

Good luck to anyone who is about to take the leap. My surgeon has given me a shot at a new life. I just can't wait to grab it with both hands.

Lisa

Great advice will try to remember and start practicing

what books would you recommend were there any that you felt give you the best advice and help

lisad said:
What fantastic advice Emma-Louise.

I am just 5 weeks post op tomorrow and it felt like my wait was never ending. (Although it was only 4 months as I went private)

I spent the time researching too and I attended a support group. Plus I prepared all I needed to take to hospital and made up small portions of puréed meals.

Another really useful thing I did was sell lots of old clothes on eBay. As someone whose weight has gone from size 12 to 32 in the past 10 years I had many different sizes in wardrobes and the attic.

I am also a bit of a shopperholic :). the money I made helped so much plus I have some put by as the weight comes off. I am already down 3 sizes. I find larger lady clothes go really well on eBay.

Lastly but certainly not leastly I joined two wls forums where I asked question and made a whole new bunch of wls cyber mates. This was invaluable.

Good luck to anyone who is about to take the leap. My surgeon has given me a shot at a new life. I just can't wait to grab it with both hands.

Lisa

I agree with larger sizes on eBay,ive sold all my unworn big sizes on there to try and get a little money back x

goofy07 said:
Great advice will try to remember and start practicing

what books would you recommend were there any that you felt give you the best advice and help

I did buy weightloss surgery for dummies on amazon,and also a baratric cookbook by Carol ball(I think I've got that right)
But i found watching YouTube very good too x

Back