• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what to do waiting for surgery on the nhs?

jellykelly

whats the longest time anyones waited for bariatric surgery on the nhs ?

and what do you do in the meantime while your waiting apart from the obvious
( dieting)?

my waiting time:
my first letter in may 2014 estimated surgery date may 2016

this bit is my ramblings on.. read if you like sorry if i bore you
my surgery is expected to happen in may 2016 (latest i hope!!) and the waiting is just so hard to do.
originally i was told it would be around march 2016 but now have been have told may 2016, and i just don't want any more push backs as they are just so disheartening as I'm sure many can empathise .

anyone have any tips on how to just put it to one side of your mind and forget your having surgery as my weight is all i think about everyday and the surgery?

I know its defiantly not happening anytime soon so i really just want to forget about it but its so hard. I'm like a big child waking up in the morning wondering when it will be time i just need to put it aside and focus on not putting any weight on as I'm really scared of that as to stop my health conditions from getting worse i don't think my body could bare another pound of weight being put on.

no disrespect to my bariatric hospital or team , I'm very grateful that I've been given this opportunity to have the surgery .

BUT i also feel like my life has been put on hold i can't move forward so I'm just trying to stand still rather than moving backwards not just in regards to weight loss but emotionally and in life career and aspirations i physically cannot do / go anywhere further with them because of my weight and i feel like I've waisted the last 4 years of my life especially.

i can't start my dream job which is abroad until I'm at a healthy weight so I'm stuck in a job that i don't really have much passion for . I'm not really feeling to get involved with social events and by that i also mean going out with friends as I'm just not comfortable putting myself out there, I've done all the research i can do on surgery so thats not an option.

anyone got any ideas on how to fill the time , achievable things , and possibly enjoyable take a break from weight being the main focus of my life .

I'm basically trying to cheer up and suck it up but finding it difficult.

Sounds like you are doing good you know you have to wait don't think there's any magic remedy to help but you'll get loads of support on this site I know it's hard I waited 18 months and towards the end got really impatient which annoyed me lol but you have to wait focus on the fact your on the way to surgery in the new year don't dwell on it put it to on side and start to get on with things xx try walking or join gym that will be good to take ya mind of things but you've achieved loads it's just a waiting game now xxxx

how far out are you with your gastric bypass ?

yea i know and i keep telling my self my last appointment i wait so long for but if i can wait 7 months just for an appointment i can wait 8 months for the op .
just so hard thanks for your words of encouragement though i just want to get back out there again start living x

how far out are you with your gastric bypass ? yea i know and i keep telling my self my last appointment i wait so long for but if i can wait 7 months just for an appointment i can wait 8 months for the op . just so hard thanks for your words of encouragement though i just want to get back out there again start living x
am 6 weeks post op bypass lost 13kg to date and yes don't wish it here to quick take ya time to get ya head round it believe me it's hard emotionally physical I was all over the place so relish this time xxxx

is that 2 stone in 6 weeks ? wow that really good.
how long did you have to do the milk diet for i have to do it for 2 weeks .
what do u think the hardest bit so far has been for you emotional and physically.

is that 2 stone in 6 weeks ? wow that really good. how long did you have to do the milk diet for i have to do it for 2 weeks . what do u think the hardest bit so far has been for you emotional and physically.
Yeap Hun about 2 stone in 6 weeks I didn't do milk LRD. mine was a low fat low cal diet of about 800 calories it was not to bad but I suppose after the op did a lot of soul searching and am disgusted in the amount I used to eat and I think surgery is such a drastic thing to do cause you can't control your eating , your body's weak due to lack of calories it's just hard nothing will ever be the same tastebuds change no hunger hair loss it's things I never thought about before surgery in fact I was quite blinkered to what it all entailed don't get me wrong am getting better would I have op if I knew what I knew now then prob not but I needed something to help at 23 stone it's hard but not sure surgery is the ultimate answer I was lazy and over eating that's the facts I loved food and first 3 weeks ish there was a void where food was but that's gone now as getting me head around the fact my life should not be controlled around food xx

yes I've done a lot of research so i know its not easy but i think you must feel better for losing weight already ?
and I'm 23 stone as well my body is making me unhappy now not just emotionally but physically i can't carry on this way , i know post op will be hard but I'm already finding things so hard just in a different way.
but your right food for me is something i enjoy as just like most slim people out there food is meant to be enjoyed.
some peoples bodies work in different ways as well, but your right its about getting your head around that life should not be controlled around food and that food is just fuel for your life , while i know this its really hard to put this into everyday life .
i just need this tool to help me and would never abuse it or take it for granted i am so grateful to be having this surgery.

keep me posted on your progress xx

My GP referred me in July 2013, attended my seminar on 04/09/13 and eventually had my operation 11/08/15 so around the same timescale as you.

I was losing weight and managed to lose 5 stone in 8 months so talked to the doctor about delaying referring me for MDT to see if could keep losing and then stopped, by my next appointment I was still the same so I lost about 5 months in the middle all my own fault, idiot I am.

I went to the seminar and it scared the life out of me, I was very very big myself but actually not in bad health surprisingly, but I looked round at the people with walking sticks and listened to the stories about diabetes and other problems and saw my future. It was just the wake up call I personally needed at that time, hence the immediate weight loss

My GP referred me in July 2013, attended my seminar on 04/09/13 and eventually had my operation 11/08/15 so around the same timescale as you. I was losing weight and managed to lose 5 stone in 8 months so talked to the doctor about delaying referring me for MDT to see if could keep losing and then stopped, by my next appointment I was still the same so I lost about 5 months in the middle all my own fault, idiot I am.

Wow that is a long time to wait! I went to my seminar 11/03/15 and had my surgery 07/07/15.

Wow that is a long time to wait! I went to my seminar 11/03/15 and had my surgery 07/07/15.

Different area's different rules I suppose, as I said I cause a 5 month delay myself, so should have been nearer a year and an half.

I agree with vain especially with putting things in place now,like healthy eating smaller portions walking more all those things as well as coming on here for brilliant support will go a very long way before you know it your on the losers bench and all this will be behind you

I've been waiting 2 years now from beginning in sept 2013, had my pre op 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything else

yes I've done a lot of research so i know its not easy but i think you must feel better for losing weight already ? and I'm 23 stone as well my body is making me unhappy now not just emotionally but physically i can't carry on this way , i know post op will be hard but I'm already finding things so hard just in a different way. but your right food for me is something i enjoy as just like most slim people out there food is meant to be enjoyed. some peoples bodies work in different ways as well, but your right its about getting your head around that life should not be controlled around food and that food is just fuel for your life , while i know this its really hard to put this into everyday life . i just need this tool to help me and would never abuse it or take it for granted i am so grateful to be having this surgery. keep me posted on your progress xx
totally get it it's just hard but like u say being 23 stone is pants been there am now in the teens 19st realised I'll never be 23 st again but all good I get up and down but really need to have the op was my only way of banishing the flab it's so hard I spent the last 20 years yo yo dieting some good results but weight always came back on I think as long as you've researched then your ready and ultimately you only you know what's right it was for me xxx

Back