• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To any pre opperes who are wondering if its worth it or anyone looking for inspiratio

This will be a long post! (sorry)

To anyone who doesn't know me, Hello, my name is Rebecca.
I am 25 years old, and live with my better half in the highlands (though I am from Leeds)

When I went for my op I weighed at least 19 stone 7, and I was miserable.
My lovely other half met me when I was roughly 14 stone; I had lost a lot of weight just prior to meeting him. And despite becoming huge, he always loved and wanted me. We got engaged very quickly after meeting, and have been engaged for coming up to 2 years.

We have set a wedding date. The 23rd of May, in Las Vegas.

There is no way I would have ever considered doing that a year ago. I had no confidence. I felt awful. I would wear a black hoody and jeans, in roughly a size 20-22 (I did get up to a 24 in jeans before my op), and that’s pretty much it.
Now I have bought my wedding dress, which is strapless and tea length (50s style), and I have got it in two sizes, as I am currently a 12, but still have a stone and a half to loose (although I'm just nearly a healthy bmi now, I want to be 10 stone) and in the past two weeks alone I have lost half a stone. So I have also got it in a size 10, something I never thought I would be able to do! (I may not get there, but better safe than sorry)

Now I'm not claiming its all sweetness and light.
It is hard work, last night I found myself throwing up due to some pork getting stuck, and in the early days I was vomiting almost daily.
And some days, I wish I could just sit down with a big cream cake and chow down (I probably could... but my will power has increased with the more weight I lost) and there are times I'm wondering passed the lovely smelling fresh bread and yummy baked goods (ha I just licked my lips as I typed that lol) isle in the supermarket and damn my bypass to hell. But now, I am at a stage, where I let myself have the odd yummy thing, and in nowhere near the quantity as before, and it fully satisfies me. I'm so grateful to the bypass for that. I’m so grateful I can have half a cookie and know it’s enough, rather than 4 and still want more.

I have struggled with the changes, and currently I am getting medical help for depression (something I suffered from pre op, but now, its more anxiety, I have had a lot to deal with the past 2 years and it all got a bit much), but I can say, without a doubt, if it weren’t for the bypass, I would be a million times worse.

I still struggle with how I look, I worry I'm not pretty, or that I’m still fat etc, but only on bad days.
The bypass isn’t a miracle cure all. And it can't fix your self esteem, but it can help.

To anyone who wants this op, there will be days, where you will wonder if it’s worth it, and there will be days you will be sad, or struggle, or hate the bypass... and it will be hard, you still need self control, you need to be stronger than ever. It won’t fix all your problems.

But for me, being able to marry my wonderful boyfriend, who has always stood by me, is a good enough reason alone, to have had the bypass.

And the fact my good days huuuuugely out weigh the bad... well, I never thought my life would be like that.

Sorry if I went on, and thank you for reading this post, I hope it helped someone even a little bit.

.x.

If there is one person that shouldnt worry about whether or not they are pretty it is you, you are a stunner!
Steph xx

Thank you for posting your story. Good luck with your wedding I am sure you will look beautiful in your size 10 dress.

Thank you very much for the best wishes and kind words.

I really hope at some point someone reads this and it helps :)

.x.

Thanks for writing your story, it's very inspirational :)

I've just worked out you've lost 8st in around 8mths... that's amazing!!! :D

It's hard to imagine that if I have my surgery in April I could theoretically lose a similar amount and be wearing a size 10/12 by Xmas!!!! I haven't been that size since my youngest was born in 1993!!! :eek:

Good luck with your wedding, you will look amazing which ever dress you end up wearing! :D

What an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful wedding.

Very inspirational. Thanks for posting.

Great post, congrats to you and looking forward to seeing the piccies! :D

Cuppa xx

Thank you so much for the feed back, i'm glad i posted this...

twiggie, I never thought id get to a size 12! i couldnt even imagin it.
Ive got my fingers crossed for you!

Ive lost 8 stone in just under 9 months, i think my average loss is about 3lbs a week or something, i dunno... either way im happy with it! lol

I cant wait for the big day and i cant wait to post piccies and show all the lovely peeps on here! im so excited lol

.x.

Rest assured your story has helped.

Good luck with the wedding, sounds like you've found a good bloke there. I will look forward to seeing the pics xxx

ooh a wedding in Vegas, brilliant. I love Vegas. It was very thoughtful and kind of you to share your story, and I am sure there will be many pre-ops as well as those of us who are only recently post-op who will find it reassuring and inspirational, I definitely did. Many thanks.

What an inspiring and positive story. Thanks so much for sharing xx

Thanks for posting Rebecca. You are very inspirational. Just one question. Did your previous problems with depression cause any problems with the decision makers when you were referred? I have a long history of depression and anxiety and worry that I wouldn't pass the appointment with the psychiatrist if I decide to go ahead and be referred.

Well done rebecca! We had our ops at the same time and have lost similar weight(although i was 2 stone heavier to start with). I love my bypass, it's the best thing i've ever done, not only for me but for my family as well, everyone has benefitted from it especially my 8 year old daughter whom i can now bounce on the trampoline with without sending her into orbit!

Hya Becca

Just wanted to agree with what everyone has said, you are lovely chica your soon to be husband is lucky to have you.

Your acount of your journey is very honest and you are right it is important for those thinking of having surgery to realise it isnt a cure all, or pass go, get out of jail free card, it is very hard work but the rewards I think are worth it.

Take care hun Xx

Thank you all so much for the well wishes and the feedback, I know im not on here as much as id like to be, but i am only a msg away if anyone ever needs anything or has a question.

Yorkiegal, i went private, and the issue of depression was never even mentioned!

This really is a fantastic forum, i am so glad i found it all those months a go.

.x.

wow, what a lovely story.......i'm currently waiting for a bypass and i have been thinking that maybe i'm being selfish as i want this more than anything, and im prepared to put myself in debt to get it.
your story has made me more determined than ever to go ahead with the surgery. i think you're an inspiration to others.
thank you tasha xxx

Back