• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

to treat or not to treat...

lousarah

Do you guys allow yourself a treat eg something like chocolate or crisps or biscuits etc or do you go cold turkey no treats.

If you treat - how often?
If you dont - why and how do you cope

Thanks.

I ask because I feel a bit like a recovering alcoholic I hate being near food it talks to me. I made my partner move what was left of his easter egg because it was looking at me. I keep a food and feelings diary and try to see the diff between me wanting food and gizmo being hungry and only feed gizmo when he needs it. Like an internal pet lol I talk to him.

Anyway enough before I get sectioned lol

Xxx

I think this is so individual. I have cut bread out completely until today. Tried a bit today and unlike everything else my pouch fails with it - I can eat a stupid amount. I stopped myself but it made me really aware that I made the right decision to forgo bread as a permanent lifestyle change. Same with biscuits. However, I can have other treats in moderation without overdoing it. So for me, bread and biscuits are gone now. Pretty much forever. And if I find anything else that I have no control over it will go too. But I see no reason why the things that I can moderate shouldn't stay as part of my diet as long as they are part of a balanced diet.

I'm pre op Yvessa and you are my inspiration, you amaze me and speak such sense. I want a little mini Yvessa to help me ehenever i need it lol
My op is 29/04/13 x

Thank you so much :) i'm sure you'll do fab :) April ops are fantastic :D

Thanks for your reply. I keep an eye out for you and topkat for advice. I think I am just finding my feet or rather hope. I replaced comfort eating yesterday with spending money and talk to you now on my brand new galaxy tab 2. Comfort eating was cheaper. X

Thanks for your reply. I keep an eye out for you and topkat for advice. I think I am just finding my feet or rather hope. I replaced comfort eating yesterday with spending money and talk to you now on my brand new galaxy tab 2. Comfort eating was cheaper. X

Your health is not cheaper Hun. You will find new ways to deal with things.

Do you guys allow yourself a treat eg something like chocolate or crisps or biscuits etc or do you go cold turkey no treats.

If you treat - how often?
If you dont - why and how do you cope

Thanks.

I ask because I feel a bit like a recovering alcoholic I hate being near food it talks to me. I made my partner move what was left of his easter egg because it was looking at me. I keep a food and feelings diary and try to see the diff between me wanting food and gizmo being hungry and only feed gizmo when he needs it. Like an internal pet lol I talk to him.

Anyway enough before I get sectioned lol

Xxx

I'm only two months out of my op and I've decided not to treat and that means no crisps, bread, wine and sweets - all my weaknesses before that I ate loads of. I'm fine with It and don't miss them. I've just gone cold turkey. I did it when I stopped smoking years ago, it was the only way for me. Because if I taste it again, that will mean I can try it again and then it's a downward spiral for me.

I think of food all the time still, but in a different way. I'll always love food, I still watch all the cookery programmes, and read recipe books, but I seem to have got over the fact that I need to eat all this food. I don't. It's just more of an interest now than an obsession which I put in my mouth.

I now replace treats with protein snacks, so ham, cheese, sliced chicken or turkey that you get in the supermarket and it works.

Find what's right for you. If you can treat and have willpower, that's fab. If you know you will keep doing it if you taste it again, let gizmo avoid :) good luck! Xx

I do allow treats and I religiously track everything on myfitnesspal. I want to try and control things in the past I have pigged out so now counting it I can't pretend I haven't eaten it!!

See that's why some things for me have to go. because they're the things where a taste just isn't enough. But not everything is like that - I can have just a square of chocolate for example. So chocolate stays. But I can keep eating bread, which is not normal for bypassers anyway, but I can. So bread went.

I suppose I think about things differently now I have my band. I no longer consider treats v no treats ... I have just about anything that I fancy, but I plan it all around getting in my protein first (and while i was losing around overall calories too). Generally if i stick to my banders rules of protein first then the crunchy veg, fruit, carbs, etc, then I am pretty full, so I don't need / fancy too much of anything else. If in my eyes it were a treat or a forbidden food, I would probably go off the rails ... :rolleyes:

If I'm honest I don't miss bread really. So it doesn't bother me. Trying to say never ever to biscuits feels harder.

I was really worried about bread as it used to be my downfall, but it really doesn't bother me in the slightest, I am take it or leave it nowadays. Biscuits can sit in the tin for weeks. Jelly beans feature in my food diary at the moment, but I have a little machine that I have to put coins in to get them :cool:

I think a lot of it is individual and what works for one person doesn't work for the other. I am comfortable with my decisions - you have done amazingly so clearly yours worked for you :) And I do agree in principle with the idea of never cutting anything out, but sadly it doesn't work for me :(

I can eat bread, my treat of a weekend is a bacon and egg sandwich, I look forward to that allllll week!!!!!
Bread does fill me up though which isn't a bad thing.

My downfall is biscuits, so I do avoid those!!!

Definitely ... We are all individuals. And you have found your groove too :D.

I am pretty happy at the moment lol :) I have already had more weight loss this month than the last two put together :D Here's to the next 4-6 stone :D

Thanks everyone. Just hoping I settle into a good routine. Im still new at this. Two pounds off this week so things are moving again. Yay xxx

Back