• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tonight - ITV1@8pm. Weight Loss Ward

brooke_marie

Just thought I'd share on here that Series 2 of weight loss ward is starting tonight at 8pm on ITV1. Might be interesting to those considering WLS or those who are already in the process!

Description is:
New series. Return of the documentary following staff at Sunderland Royal Hospital's obesity unit, where thousands of patients go under the knife each year in an attempt to shed the pounds. The programme catches up with 30-year-old Terry Gardner, who weighed 47 stone 18 months ago, as doctors give him the option of a permanent gastric bypass. Two of his friends also feature - 29-year-old Laura Lamb, who has been refused surgery twice already, and David Harper, 35, who struggles to follow the advice of surgeons. Narrated by Dominic Cooper

I will be watching, I am fascinated by programmes like this and it is educational in a way to see how other people are getting on

Definitely agree Nina! I'm still waiting for my date (18 weeks from appt with surgeon would be mid April) so I'm gonna be waiting a while until I can get really excited...this is definitely going to help cheer up my dreary Tuesday!

I watched the first episode of this programme, I was pre-op so didn't want to watch too much, now post-op I will be more interested :)

I'll be watching and set to record, just to ensure I dont miss! xx

thanks for the heads up ,I will be watching !

All set ready on series link record :)

will order he who thinks he is to record this thanks for the heads up

Lucky I set my recording - just starting to watch it! :) xx lol

Just watched, recognised many faces from the "team" who are all lovely at Sunderland. I do wish they would show more balanced people who have surgery oppose to extremes. I have always worked, haven't had a major trauma but had a weight problem. Then again my story would have been boring! (And I do think these people are brave as I wouldn't have gone on TV). I couldn't have watched this pre op but feel strangely uncomfortable watching it post op. I wouldn't have wanted people to have judged me and when you are on TV, you put yourself up for that.

I thought that young woman on it was totally taking the Pi** and the fact she had been refused surgery 2 times,and still wasn't following her diet plan for the 3rd time!...why should someone like this deserve surgery???

How did Terry only lose 4 stone with a balloon? He's massive. It's ridiculous!

Just watched, recognised many faces from the "team" who are all lovely at Sunderland. I do wish they would show more balanced people who have surgery oppose to extremes. I have always worked, haven't had a major trauma but had a weight problem. Then again my story would have been boring! (And I do think these people are brave as I wouldn't have gone on TV). I couldn't have watched this pre op but feel strangely uncomfortable watching it post op. I wouldn't have wanted people to have judged me and when you are on TV, you put yourself up for that.

Me too. We aren't all lazy idiots!

Her head was clearly not in the right place for WLS. Why would you book an all inclusive holiday when you are on your last chance and jumping through hoops to get the surgery. It makes me feel sad.

Another programme that adds to the hatred of the obese..
This is exactly why I kept my surgery quiet.
Why show that girl eating a mars bar?...just to plainly embarrass the overweight.

Hey guys. As we all know, our obesity and its 'cause' is complex in origin and individual. I don't want to judge the people featured on the programme - as that could have been any of us, and in some cases was! As Beegee says, I too felt very sad. I also felt angry at society, to the politics that destroyed those mining communities 30 years go, and not least at the NHS system which leaves desperate people waiting years for their life-saving/changing surgical assistance. I think it was very sobering at the seminar when the doctor was explaining how limited the resources are ie not enough surgeons to process people more quickly. Yes of course we all need to take responsibility ... and indeed, our heads need to be in the right place to achieve the desired result from WLS. Bearing this in mind, surely the fact the young woman (Laura?) wad refused time and again shows the system is not investing in those who do not engage. Look at Terry - he was a reformed character. I am sure he was on the last series and was struggling to lose and in fact was admitted to the ward where his secret eating was rumbled (I recall Mr Small dishing out some tough love to him). I also agree that it would be good to see some less 'vulnerable' extreme cases, sprinkled amongst the more entertaining Terrys and Lauras ...

Back