• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tonight - ITV1@8pm. Weight Loss Ward

Yes, Terry was/is amazing. Such a moving story. Especially last series when his secret eating on the ward was discovered. I think his case now shows no matter how 'extreme' someone's situation is, with the right team in place with the tools, someone's life can change simply by them changing their mind. Good luck to him, and utter respect to all big losers out there xxx

I am fuming with the show, especially this week when just before her surgery that lady ordered a huge box of sweets. When really her energy would have been better spent getting her head around the life changes she has a head of her. I am upset as I don't want people to get the view that its easy and can use surgery as a quick fix. It is bloody hard work and the people on the show other than terry who worked I thought hard to get where he was don't seem ready to take on the weight loss challenge :(

i enjoy the program but yes it is so annoying! the lady in the first and second ep seriously annoyed me especially when it came to light she had already been refused 2 or 3 times. Then the lady in ep too had serious issues! x x

the one who swanned off on her holidays really annoys me why was she given a 3rd chance when she blew the first 2 really i would have told her where to go not given her chance 3

the lady with the sweets was she listed for surgery i dont recall it being mentioned but yes that was ridiculous ordering that amount of sweet i know i order from a friend in bulk for my grandkids but it lasts them 6 months and thats only 1 or 2 as a treat would certainly never do that for myself if i had her issues

Doreen, the sweet-buying lady in question, has serious OCD mental health issues. This of course is a whole separate challenge for her and her team. No, I don't recall she was listed for surgery - but admitted to the ward for monitoring, and no doubt some support to start addressing the issues she had. It will be interesting to see where it goes with her.

Doreen, the sweet-buying lady in question, has serious OCD mental health issues. This of course is a whole separate challenge for her and her team. No, I don't recall she was listed for surgery - but admitted to the ward for monitoring, and no doubt some support to start addressing the issues she had. It will be interesting to see where it goes with her.

Exactly Lilac.. It's easy to forget that this was us before our surgery.. Well me any way okay maybe not the sweeties as I don't have a sweet tooth except for maltesers :eek:..haven't had those for over a year now though but it wasn't unusual if I was super stressed to down two family bags one after the other. Thankfully that didn't happen too often but I wouldn't have thought twice about eating two pies for dinner. Not in the same league as Doreen but I still needed to address it. For Doreen, she will need psychiatric support before surgery to do that. In the months before WLS became really tangible for me I "played"at losing weight and didn't take on board my eating issues at all... It took a rather horrid dietician to lay it on the line for me and as much as I hated the woman I have to include her in my list of "people to thank".

Good way to put it Frankie! We've all had to address our issues for Doreen I'm guessing that will be a long road x

It will indeed.. Lifelong

Well said Frankie. I for one, being someone who has been judged, bullied and 'overlooked' for 50 years due to my size, would never judge someone for their size and the cause thereof? As there but for the grace of God (as you perceive 'him') and my surgeon's knife goes I!

Hi. I may have been judged but I to think some of these people are opening themselves up to ridicule.
They do not represent the majority of people and the lady who had OCD and sniffing sweets clearly had mental health issues. I think she was being exploited for TV.

i know for many over eating is the cause of the weight but what i hate is that people just assume every over weight person just sits eating all day when thats not always the case for many it could be medical like thyroid issues etc and every one needs to address their reasons why in different ways but i just hate that stereo typing that we are all the same and them programmes do that all the time

Society labels big people greedy, lazy and sometimes simple. I suspect if asked, 'normal' weight folks would have more sympathy for someone with Anorexia than for someone who is morbidly obese. I agree the programme in featuring the extreme cases with issues does little to alter that perception, which is very frustrating.

Incidentally, oN my WLS journey I have had more support and understanding from friends without weight issues, than I have from larger friends.

Society labels big people greedy, lazy and sometimes simple. I suspect if asked, 'normal' weight folks would have more sympathy for someone with Anorexia than for someone who is morbidly obese. I agree the programme in featuring the extreme cases with issues does little to alter that perception, which is very frustrating.

Incidentally, oN my WLS journey I have had more support and understanding from friends without weight issues, than I have from larger friends.

Yes and that is what peeves me so much about these programmes. They don't show someone 23 stone, BMI 55 who has held down a full time job for 20 years (shiftwork), raising a family of three, goes to the gym three times a week and who cycles for miles twice every weekend.
This was me before I became disabled.
I meant to add that I had the support of my heavy friends but it is not so full on now as I have become thinner.. Shame really but I suppose there will always be a bit of envy but hey ho thats life

Last edited:
Yes and that is what peeves me so much about these programmes. They don't show someone 23 stone, BMI 55 who has held down a full time job for 20 years (shiftwork), raising a family of three, goes to the gym three times a week and who cycles for miles twice every weekend.
This was me before I became disabled.

Exactly! That's me too Frankie, minus the family and at 19 stone not 23. I'm am 50 years old and a few lbs off being the lightest I've been since 12 years old, and am still in the obese section of the BMI chart. Morbidly obese for 38 years but as my surgeon said the fact I was so active has gone very much in my favour and the bypass will hopefully protect my "biological integrity". Why oh why can we not see a balanced representation of large people in this programme.

Yes I agree with your surgeon... Yes I was a really active heavyweight but at the end of the day my weight was to become my demise. It was a very bad pneumonia that laid me out for six months and I never recovered fully or got that verve back again. My body just couldn't cope any more with the excess weight and with inactivity the weight just piled on even further and very rapidly too. That is the reality of being super obese ;)

I agree with everyone's points about the portrayed perception in the programme being very biased. However, in my head I'm thinking, that's well well and good, but at the end of the day, I ate too much and was lazy enough (despite being on the wards 12 hours a day)that my daily calorie burn was less than my intake.... so in a way, I am that fat lazy person...there's no denying it.

I agree with you in that yes I ate too much at all the wrong times too but no I was never ever lazy hun & I doubt if you were either. I worked with many who were lazy b's who sat an ate while the un lazy ones ran around doing the work. I was a care coordinator for adults with learning difficulties and never had a minute to sit down but worse still the lazy ones were as skinny as matchsticks :mad:.. Just not fair

i always worked it was ill health made me have to quit and in my job i must have walked miles a day back and forth as i ran a working mans club the ill health meant less mobility and it does have a knock on effect on the weight even now i have to do 2 30minute walks a day they take me an hour as i have to keep stopping and starting but i still try some of them on them programmes make no effort what so ever thats why they shouldnt stereo type everyone as we all have different reason/stories to our weight gains

Back