• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tonight - ITV1@8pm. Weight Loss Ward

I did think that going on an all-inclusive holiday was the worst thing she possibly could have done, but I guess she'd already paid for it...Did find myself moaning at the TV a little bit...I went to Australia for 9 weeks in between dietitian appointments and still managed to lose 20lb whilst over there!

They will never show 'normal' people who are 'model' patients. It's just not enough drama. Leads the public to have a poor perception of us. We aren't all lazy, stupid, on benefits etc!

thought the same thing! it seemed to me that she wasn't ready to go ahead with wls just looking for what she thinks maybe a quick fix this wls lark is not that

They will never show 'normal' people who are 'model' patients. It's just not enough drama. Leads the public to have a poor perception of us. We aren't all lazy, stupid, on benefits etc!

Totally agree Victoria. I was operated on at Sunderland and the team are fab there. The programme generally had bad representations, not just for obese people (who as you rightly say are not all lazy, stupid and on benefits), but for those of us who live in the north east. I didn't see one scene that showed this area in a good light, and the north is actually really very nice. It generally gave a bad impression of the area and the people who live here I felt. Shame really as it really took away from the superb work those surgeons do and how they really do change lives. There was no real need for the dramatic back stories which are just there to fuel people's misconceptions even more about obesity.

watching it now although im not from north east we visit regular as hubby has family there i have never from visiting got the perception that they are all lazy no goods on benefits yes some unemployment same as everywhere also find the people really friendly

Why do we still watch such trash, I could have turned it of but didn't.it was the same with too fat to fly. I went to Turkey and had a very large person next to me. I did'nt say a word because I have been there, and he was a really nice man.

I don't think I will watch it again. Yes, the girl who put on weight just looked silly. I went on an all inclusive before my op and was being weighed the week after I got back. I lost weight. She can't have wanted to do it after 3 attempts.
I wish they would show a positive person who has had surgery, a role model even!

I don't think I will watch it again. Yes, the girl who put on weight just looked silly. I went on an all inclusive before my op and was being weighed the week after I got back. I lost weight. She can't have wanted to do it after 3 attempts.
I wish they would show a positive person who has had surgery, a role model even!

I agree,it would be nice to have weightloss surgery represented in a proper manner.

I think Terry (I think that’s his name) was portrayed in a positive light. Once he got going he was a reformed character! I felt almost proud of him.

I saw a post that he ‘only’ lost 4 stone with a balloon, I thought that was great as he only had it in for 4 months. Everyone loses at their own rate, WLS or not. He seems to take the challenge with both hands and clearly deserved to have the surgery.

I agree, that the programme doesn’t show obese people in a positive light though, although I think my inner ‘Laura’ has shown its head more times than I’d like… The programme did enforce to me why I am doing this and made me more determined to lose as much as possible myself, again, before the op. xx

Just watching it now on catch up. Not being funny but I couldn't afford an all inclusive holiday for my family in the UK let alone abroad! Yet because it was important to me I took a loan to pay for my surgery as I didn't meet the criteria for NHS and my health meant that I couldn't wait to put on the extra weight in order to then jump through the hoops. She is such a bad advert for those of us who've struggled!
Terry on the other hand I take my hat off to. Would never have thought he was the man trying to smuggle food on to the ward. He should be really proud of his achievements.

The only thing I was surprised by was that after the surgeons had decided to give him the bypass, he only had to wait four weeks!

The only thing I was surprised by was that after the surgeons had decided to give him the bypass, he only had to wait four weeks!

Wasn’t that because they had just taken out the balloon? I thought when they have to use the balloon on high risk patients to lose weight for the operation/liver reduction; they like to do the operation ASAP as they have already been approved and were waiting for a date?

xx

They made it look like a bypass wasn't the plan. They were gonna put a second balloon in and the head guy said no let's do a bypass! I guess I'm just a tad jealous of how quickly he had it done :)

They made it look like a bypass wasn't the plan. They were gonna put a second balloon in and the head guy said no let's do a bypass! I guess I'm just a tad jealous of how quickly he had it done :)

Lol… Yeah I understand that, same here!

I only thought that as I know someone at work, who had a balloon when it was removed, 2 weeks later had a Sleeve and now after a year, they are doing a bypass for him.

He said it was as his original BMI was over 70, the balloon reduced his BMI to 63/62 and then he was able to stick to a diet/healthy eating to reduce his liver enough, make his heart ‘healthier’ for the operations that he really needs. The Sleeve has served him well, but due to his initial size, he needs the bypass now to give him the help to get to a healthy BMI. xx

Ah yeah. I've heard of doing the balloon first and then actual surgery for the reasons you said. Terry was just lucky i slide... Sure the ITV film crews presence helped somewhat too haha :)

I suppose* haha

that damn woman annoyed me more why is she even bothering really she really cant want it that bad if she can swan off on holidays and forget the preop diet etc

I found it really frustrating too, especially the woman. Terry had tough love in the first series and he had listened, total credit to him for walking and swimming which cannot have been easy. The woman though, well, totally gob smacked! A couple of things got me, firstly her commitment even though she KNEW it was last chance for her operation, secondly, she quite clearly has an issue with comfort eating due to events in her life. The operation is not going to suddenly change that. I actually felt they were irresponsible offering her the surgery, at the least she should be going through therapy alongside the surgery and I would have thought that should have begun before the operation. She has serious issues with her relationship with food and to be honest that's so much harder than if you are someone who likes large portions etc. it's an emotional hunger that no operation is ever going to solve. It's not a magic wand that is suddenly going to work if they make her capacity smaller.

I feel passionate about this, I may be wrong and I'm the next episode she will be shown in a different light but I think they actually like to portray obese people as greedy and ignorant. I guess that I know first hand that without therapy (that is ongoing still) for me this battle would have been lost before I started. If you use food as an emotional hole filler no operation will change that, it won't even temporarily put a band aid on it because emotionally surgery and recovering is hard enough. They are setting people up to fail and then telling the world it's because they are greedy lazy fat guzzlers cause that's what most of the population want to see. Well that's utter tosh!! We spend millions treating drug addicts and alcoholics but treating people who are obese is frowned upon, what is the difference? Oh yes I know, you can stop drinking, you can stop taking drugs but you cannot stop eating!!!

Sorry that turned into a rant lol I don't think I better watch it again

Her head was clearly not in the right place for WLS. Why would you book an all inclusive holiday when you are on your last chance and jumping through hoops to get the surgery. It makes me feel sad.

Watching her made me so angry. I have been trying to get help for my weight since I was a child but severely in the last 5 years. My gp kept refusing to refer me and it took me to write a letter that was the hardest I have ever written explaining how my weight impacts my life for them to finally refer me 4 years ago. It then took 4 years to finally get a surgery date. I am 9 stone heavier than this woman with health issues so I was screaming at my tv when she kept taking the Michael!

He's been waiting a lot longer hun as he was featured in last years series before he even had the balloon inserted. His balloon was all part of the process and the anxiety over whither or not you are going to make it to that final hurdle is still very real. Once the balloon is out all restriction is gone and any success you had with it could well be and more than likely lost if you do not get some other form of restriction put in place. I was 1 week between removal and my bypass but the whole process was 18months in total not a week ;)
To the lady who thought he should have lost more with the balloon I have to say the balloon is perhaps one of the hardest ways to lose weight with intervention and Terry did very well just to lose those four stone ;).

Back