• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too fat for surgery

frodoald

I keep wondering about this but have been too embarrassed to ask so far. But, what the heck - I know you are all lovely people :)

Thing is. I have my first appointment at the Luton & Dunstable hospital on 8th July and I am really worried that they will tell me that I am too fat to be accepted for surgery.
If this is the case then I will just have to deal with it and know the reason will be because the risk is too high. But - I would like to know in advance if this is likely because I will then at least be prepared and not feel quite so gutted.

I know the L&D require you to lose at least 5% of your body weight before surgery and I am determined to lose as much possible before then as I know this can only make things safer/easier. However losing 5-10% is a bit different to perhaps being told I need to lose at least 25% before they will even consider me :eek:

I know it probably depends on the surgeon/procedure but wondered if anyone had any experience of being told this?

The whole idea of what you are applying for is to help/aid you lose weight.

All the first appointment is about is discussing the different types of surgery available and which one they would recommend for you, however YOU make the final choice, but not that day.

They will weigh you and then send you away and ask you to lose 5% of your body weight, so depending on how much you weigh, depends on how much you are required to lose.

Most people do it in a 4 week period, however if you haven't achieved it by then, then will give you another 4 weeks. I lost 7.3% in 4 weeks, and I weighed 28 stone.

So you have nothing to worry about, obviously the bigger the person, the more risk there is when it comes to the operation. But I had the full bypass on Wednesday and I was in and out again in 3 days.

Feel free to ask away though if you have any questions, there are plenty of people on here that had there surgeries at L&D.

Gary.

Can't answer you question about being too big sorry. But you have to lose the 5% of your body weight in a month on the milky only diet. If you can't do it in the month they allow you another 2-4 weeks and if its not done by then they won't let you go any further. You have to do this to prove to them that you are commited to the journey and to be able to do it again pre op and post op.

I was advised to loose 3kg, I'm not sure what % of my weight that is. I was 20st 13lb when I went to the seminar. I hadn't lost the required amount by the time I saw the Consultant but I had managed 3/4 of it so was advised to loose the 3kg and more by the time I went for my gastroscopy. I managed 5kg but my weight yo yo's. Try very very hard to stick to the diet sheet you will be given or you will loose your chance and have to wait again. I wish you well on your journey and hope you come back and say you have been accepted. Good luck.

Thank you all for your replies. And thank you Gary for letting me know what to expect on my first appointment. I hope you are recovering well this side of the op :)

hi frodoald,
im with l&d and you dont have anything to worry about. your first visit is with the nurse and the dr. they are there to meet you weigh you, take bloods and monitor your heart. at that time, they dont tell you to lose any percentage of weight. that will be on your next appointment.
im very heavy and there were people, i would say that seemed much bigger than me and they were weeks ahead of me. when the time comes for you to lose your 5% body weight, thats when you need to commit. in the meantime, do lots of investigations and read peoples diaries, which are so helpful!

My BMI was 57 and I was told to drop 2 stone, only managed 21lbs and BMI was still well over 50 had DS in two stages three years ago.

Hiya,

I was advised that I needed to lose weight to shrink the liver for the surgery. And that if the liver hadn't shrunk - because I'd not followed the pre-op diet - they wouldn't proceed. In reality I lost about 12lbs but I was 28 stone'ish so not that much different to you and at no point did anyone suggest I was too heavy. Also don't forget that this surgery is designed for people with chronic weight problems they are (or should be) fully equipped to cope. Also my Dad is as heavy as you and is considering surgery and no one has suggested he is too heavy.

I think if there's a problem it's going to be more likely if you have other health problems such as a heart condition and/or if you're older but if you've no major health problems, other than the weight I think you'll be fine. They might make you lose a set amount of weight to demonstrate that you're committed but that depends on your hospital/consultant.

Xxxxxx

Back