• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice

Meimi

Hi, Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread but anyway... Im currently on the waiting list for a gastric bypass and i am doing Cambridge diet at the moment to lose weight before my op. Does anyone know if i will still be able to stay on Cambridge diet once ive had the op?

Thank you :)

I dont know about the Cambridge Diet but isnt that shakes etc?
Post-op you will be on liquids for some time and then sloppies and then soft etc etc and the weight will fall off and you wont need the Cambridge Diet, kind of got to wonder why you would want to stay on it when you wont be needing to.
Steph xx

Because when on cambridge you are in ketosis, which means u are never hungry even though you are only eating a liquid diet and dont want to go onto foods and lose less than 1 stone a month :(

when you have the surgery, you won't be hungry, not for a fair while after in fact, me...haven't been hungry since 25th August when i had my op...and bear in mind there is no guarantee that you will lose a stone a month, you will lose a large amount very quickly, but if you set unrealistic weightloss targets, you'll set yourself up for disappointment, it'll come off in it's own time, your body will lose it at it's own pace ;)

Sorry dont think i explained it very well :) i lose 1 stone per month now doing cambridge and if i am going to be on liquids for a while after the operation, it would just seem easier to stay on cambridge, as i wouldnt feel hungry and still lose 1 stone a month. Also, as i am currently only "eating" 400/500 calories per day, im quite worried if i sudenly come off this diet onto normal food i will actualy put weight on, and yes i will lose it in the long run but it wont be as fast. Ive also read quite a few threads on this forum and everyone seems to be saying that they are still hungry to some extent... that is what got me thinking :)

i have lost lots of weight on Cambridge diet in the past, and can see why you would want to stay on it when you are post op, but you really need to think carefully about what you want to gain from this op.

Personally I think staying on CD afterward is a bad idea. For starters, you will manage such small amounts in the very early days that you will not get even half a shake or soup down in one go. Also Im not sure what the sugar content of the shakes and soups are but if they are not extremely low you are at risk of dumping on the shakes.

Finally, the op should be used in conjunction with a new way of eating for life if you want to get the best results.

All the best, whatever you decide. xx

i have lost lots of weight on Cambridge diet in the past, and can see why you would want to stay on it when you are post op, but you really need to think carefully about what you want to gain from this op.

Personally I think staying on CD afterward is a bad idea. For starters, you will manage such small amounts in the very early days that you will not get even half a shake or soup down in one go. Also Im not sure what the sugar content of the shakes and soups are but if they are not extremely low you are at risk of dumping on the shakes.

Finally, the op should be used in conjunction with a new way of eating for life if you want to get the best results.

Thank you :) that was great advice!

Hi again Sambucca, was wondering if i could ask some advice as you have done cambridge in the past. As my operation due date is getting closer i keep getting second thoughts on whether to stay on cambridge or go for the operation. I do want to change my eating habbits for life and currently abstaining from food completely on Cambridge so that i can introduce new eating habbits when i do finally go onto maintenance but my biggest worry with cambridge is that i will put it all back on once i stop but i also know that there is always the chance i will put weight back on if i have the bypass also. In my opinion, both cambridge or the bypass are giving me a way to start a new healthier way of eating but im getting slightly scared of having the bypass, although it does feel that the bypass will be a life turning point and that might be just what i need.

Hi again Sambucca, was wondering if i could ask some advice as you have done cambridge in the past. As my operation due date is getting closer i keep getting second thoughts on whether to stay on cambridge or go for the operation. I do want to change my eating habbits for life and currently abstaining from food completely on Cambridge so that i can introduce new eating habbits when i do finally go onto maintenance but my biggest worry with cambridge is that i will put it all back on once i stop but i also know that there is always the chance i will put weight back on if i have the bypass also. In my opinion, both cambridge or the bypass are giving me a way to start a new healthier way of eating but im getting slightly scared of having the bypass, although it does feel that the bypass will be a life turning point and that might be just what i need.

I'm not Sambuca but i can say probably along with a lot of others on here that some of us have lost quite a lot of weight before on vlcd's and gone back on later to put the weight back on.

I as others before me don't see the point of having drastic wls and then to carry on doing the cambridge diet... I can honestly say i've heard nobody say they are 'hungry' after bypass surgery... Unless of course it is the 'head hunger' xx

Hi Guys

CD or any other liquid replacement diet will not work post op, you will have a small stomach with a tiny stoma (restriction) to stop the food you eat falling directly into your intestine ! - you will be able to consume liquids on an empty pouch (stomach) without reaching any state of fullness, as the liquid will run straight through in a matter of minutes, therefore negating the effective use of the bypass.

The bypass works in two way, restriction of the amount of food you can consume in one meal and weight lose through malabsorbtion of the food you eat. As many have previously said, the bypass is a tool to help you, you will need to re educate yourself longer term into eating a healthier diet to sustain long term weight lose.

Meimi

I used to be a Cambridge Diet Counsellor and I would tell you to steer clear of using the Cambridge Diet after your op, it would not be a good idea. This operation is to help you change your way of eating for ever, the Cambridge Diet does help you lose weight but it is not a permanent method.

I gave up counselling because time and time again clients would lose the weight and put it straight back on again when coming off sole source. I lost 19stone using Lighter Life and the Cambridge Diet and put it nearly all back on within 2 years.

I would only recommend the Cambridge Diet for a quick fix, i.e. losing some weight for a wedding etc.

Your body and the way you see food will completely change once you have had this op, you will not have to use the Cambridge Diet anymore. Think of the plus's you will have, Cambridge ain't cheap for a start, think of the savings you'll make. Also I know from experience the side effects Cambridge can have, hair lose, serious constipation, fatigue, freezing cold hands and feet, and more seriously, dehydration and gall stones.

I have struggled with my bypass, but I can honestly say I would chose a bypass over using the Cambridge again any day. It made me miserable and more obsessed with food in a whole new way.

Hope this helps.

Back