• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too Much Information?

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Is there such a thing as too much information pre-op?

I've only got 3 weeks till my surgery and to be quite honest i think i'm just reading way too much.

My main worry is dumping and food getting stuck.

I don't intend to test the dumping theory but i'm worried that i may unintentionally have something that'll make me dump.

I just read a story about a woman who's heart gave out because she ate something bad and dumped but then ate some more of it while she was dumping :(

I also keep forgetting what i'm supposed to be having immediately post op, so then i refresh my memory then forget again.... I'm obviously going slightly mad :D

what is "dumping"? x

Is there such a thing as too much information pre-op?

I've only got 3 weeks till my surgery and to be quite honest i think i'm just reading way too much.

My main worry is dumping and food getting stuck.

I don't intend to test the dumping theory but i'm worried that i may unintentionally have something that'll make me dump.

I just read a story about a woman who's heart gave out because she ate something bad and dumped but then ate some more of it while she was dumping :(

I also keep forgetting what i'm supposed to be having immediately post op, so then i refresh my memory then forget again.... I'm obviously going slightly mad :D

Don't worry I was exactly the same pre op.

Dumping whilst unpleasant isn't as bad as it sounds. I get a rapid heartbeat and feel incredibly sick. I just go to bed to sleep it off and then get woken up by the runs! lol

As for the woman who kept eating the wrong thing whilst dumping, I have no idea how she did it as when I'm dumping I feel so sick I don't want to eat. It comes on quite quickly so you'll know.

Food getting stuck, again it's unpleasant and a bit painful it's not as horrible as it sounds. I've had a problem with thickening of scar tissue around the entrance to my pouch so I'm always getting food stuck. You should be ok if you stick to the diet plan your team gives you and don't push it too quickly.

I was still referring to my post op diet sheet for weeks after my op just to make sure I was doing the right thing. Don't worry, you're not meant to learn it by heart straight away. Eventually you'll automatically look at something and know if you will be able to manage it.

Also to prevent dumping, check all food labels. I made the mistake of thinking that because I could have something on the pre op diet, that I could have it on the post op diet and it made me dump.

It's natural to have concerns about what happens after and we're all here to support and give you advice when you need it.

Got this from Wikipedia :)

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the upper end of the small intestine, the duodenum, expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (substances with increased osmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric surgery.
It is speculated that "early" dumping is associated with difficulty digesting fats while "late" dumping is associated with carbohydrates.[citation needed]
Rapid loading of the small intestine with hypertonic stomach contents can lead to rapid entry of water into the intestinal lumen. Osmotic diarrhea, distension of the small bowel (leading to crampy abdominal pain), and hypovolemia can result.
In addition, people with this syndrome often suffer from low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, because the rapid "dumping" of food triggers the pancreas to release excessive amounts of insulin into the bloodstream. This type of hypoglycemia is referred to as "alimentary hypoglycemia".

Emm28 dumping is caused by having too much sugar in your food. It causes all the food in your pouch to 'dump' straight into your intestine and it can cause severe nausea, stomach cramps, weakness and diaorrhea. Some bypassers are prone to it and others aren't.

Thanks Jaxx ,

I think because i have a bit of a phobia about choking/being sick - i sometimes now find it difficult to swallow meat.

Also have suffered in the past from panic attacks - i used to be obsessed with my heart rate, although thankfully haven't had those for around 8 to 10 years i'm aware how easy it would be to fall into that vicious circle again. :(

You'll be fine hun if you go easy on sugar and fat as per the recommendations.I have dumped properly twice due to hidden sugar in medicines, and it was horrid, fainting , severe diahorrhea etc, but am now more careful regarding meds:D

Back