• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass - Weightgain - UPDATE

sydenham

Sorry but this will be a little long winded. This was my original post on 27th December and I can now let you all know the outcome.
"RNY - Weight Gain
I havent posted for a very long time but even in the early days of my surgery my posts always had the same theme to them. In a nut shell, I had my Bypass 7/4/11 and pre op lost exactly 2 stone. Post Op, I then went on to lose another 3 stone by July.
My issue was that I never felt I had anything in common with the other WLS patents on the Forums or that I met at groups or that I met up with individually.

They all talked about restriction or dumping etc and to give you an example, I went for coffee with a lovely lady that had the op two weeks prior to me with the same surgeon. We ordered a jacket potato with cheese and beans. Three mouthful's and she was done - but I ate all of mine with gusto, whilst she looked on in amazement.
My family have all asked "but I thought you had to eat differently when you had WLS?"
The point is - so did I, but I can eat anything and everything.

Now I am sure when this is read, I will be in for some tough criticism from a few but what I need to stress is that what I do have in common with those mentioned above is that I have the mentality of a fat person, so I am inherently greedy.
I have spent the majority of my adult life yo yo dieting and after several years of drumming up courage and deciding on a loan, I believed that the Bypass would be my answer. I required something to be in place that would deter me from over eating.

When I last saw my surgeon in August he was surprised that I had gained weight but neither of us said much about it, I was sent a copy of the GP letter and that was it. The weight gain has continued.

The straw that broke the camels back happened on Christmas Eve in the Supermarket as I was shopping. I was tapped on the shoulder by a woman I didn't recognize and she asked how I was doing. I was frantically
trying to put a name to the face but when she asked about my weight, I fell in.
She had the Bypass two weeks after me with the same surgeon but her 8 stone loss meant I just didn't know her. She looked amazing and we started to chat. I told her how unhappy I was and we compared our eating habits. She can eat bread but only just about half a sandwich - I could eat a whole baguette.
She eats from a side plate - I eat from a dinner plate and eat the same as the rest of the family and in the same quantity.
She never feels hungry and really makes herself eat - I do feel hungry and have done all along.

She said but you have to tell the surgeon so I came home and emailed him. I had felt too embarrassed to do so before as my weight gain had continued but was reassured when I had a reply.

I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss these issues and actually feel a bit better already as I have now taken the first step to attempt to resolve my difficulties."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw my surgeon on the 29th Dec but really it was a brief visit to discuss my issues. He was away in Jan, so next appointment was 9th February and my husband came with me. I am now up a stone in weight so only 2 stone lost since 7th April 2011.
Our appointment lasted for more than an hour and a half and at times got very heated and I was very emotional. The long and the short of it is that I am apparently one of the 1% of patients where a Bypass has failed.

He said the reasons are not known but it does happen. He didn't want to do any tests and said that Revision surgery is not an option as he feels its unsuitable for me and can be more risky than the original surgery.

He started to take about going to see a nutritionalist and maybe counselling would also help and he then said he had a good book that I might want to look at too. !

We were now in a state of shock and my husband quite rightly pointed out that like every other fat person that he is likely to see - I have already gone down that road and failed and that was why we came to him.

At the end of this mammoth session, he actually said he was sorry that it hadn't worked out for me and shook my hand.
But as we drove home, we both wondered if there was any other situation, where you would give someone £9000.00 for doing something but when that something fails, they keep the money.

I am still fat and getting fatter and we have used all of our savings plus a bit and may just as well have taken a match to the money.

Truly shocking as far as I'm concerned and how I wish that I had waited for the NHS, because with them , I feel that I would have had a leg to stand on and the surgeon would have had someone to answer to.

So sorry to hear about your problems, would it not be possible to see you GP and ask for a referral to see an nhs bariatric surgeon. Then might be an option of putting a band at the top of bypassed stomach. Don't no if it's possible but when I went to my post op diet appointment their was a lady their who had a sleeve and when she stopped loosing weight with sleeve they put a band in aswell. Always worth a look x

So sorry to hear about your problems, would it not be possible to see you GP and ask for a referral to see an nhs bariatric surgeon. Then might be an option of putting a band at the top of bypassed stomach. Don't no if it's possible but when I went to my post op diet appointment their was a lady their who had a sleeve and when she stopped loosing weight with sleeve they put a band in aswell. Always worth a look x

Thanks Suzie,

From what I have gathered so far, once you have gone down the road of going Privately, you cannot then be referred to the NHS but I will of course ask my GP.

What a terrible situation to be in...I can understand your disappointment and embarrassment. Were you told about the 1 % failure rate when you signed your consent forms? If not then I would contact a solicitor to see if you can get your money back? Keep us posted on your journey we are all here to help and support you xxxx

Hi! So sorry to hear about your situation. Did the surgeon explains HOW the bypass had failed? Did they make the pouch too big? Not bypass enough of the intestine? Either way it would seem to me that they had done something wrong and should be prepared to help you. I would continue to pester them, threaten to sell your story to a magazine.

Bless you all for your replies, its nice to know that people are willing to listen. All my surgeon ever says is that the surgery was done correctly and my pouch is the size of his thumb.

I also posted my story on the American version of this WL forum and have just had a reply from the Doctor that actually gives advice but obviously not of a specific, personal nature.
She has suggested that I have a Barium Swallow Xray to measure the size of my pouch and the size of my Stoma that empty's into the gut . I could approach my GP or go privately for this. If these results aren't as they should be, I should present the findings to my surgeon.

Thanks again everyone.

Bless you all for your replies, its nice to know that people are willing to listen. All my surgeon ever says is that the surgery was done correctly and my pouch is the size of his thumb.

I also posted my story on the American version of this WL forum and have just had a reply from the Doctor that actually gives advice but obviously not of a specific, personal nature.
She has suggested that I have a Barium Swallow Xray to measure the size of my pouch and the size of my Stoma that empty's into the gut . I could approach my GP or go privately for this. If these results aren't as they should be, I should present the findings to my surgeon.

Thanks again everyone.

Wishing you all the luck in the world with getting the test results you need to be able to get your revision, honey ... seems that once they have your money, all compassion goes out the window :mad: Hope it all ends well for you, babe xxx :wave_cry:

Hi! So sorry to hear about your situation. Did the surgeon explains HOW the bypass had failed? Did they make the pouch too big? Not bypass enough of the intestine? Either way it would seem to me that they had done something wrong and should be prepared to help you. I would continue to pester them, threaten to sell your story to a magazine.

I was also wonder, in what way the bypass has "failed" ..... I find it hard to believe your surgeon says the pouch is the correct size of his thumb if you find yourself able to eat baguettes etc.

I have heard of one other (rare) condition in which the RNY can fail, and that is the pouch they have created at the top of the stomach has not been sufficiently separated, and basically reattaches itself to the large stomach. (So even if your intestines are bypassed your stomach capacity could in that instance be exactly the same as it was prior to surgery.)

I have only come across one other case of that in all the research I have read online, but I do think you need yours checked out.

Even if the NHS is not an option for revisional surgery because you went private, you are at least entitled to some diagnostic tests to find out what the size of your pouch is, or if it has re-attached to the lower stomach.

Once you have the results of these tests hopefully your next course of action will become clearer to you (i.e. whether you do want to pursue either the NHS or another private surgeon for revisional surgery .... or whether you might like to sue the pants of your original surgeon for the £9,000 you wasted.)

I was also wonder, in what way the bypass has "failed" ..... I find it hard to believe your surgeon says the pouch is the correct size of his thumb if you find yourself able to eat baguettes etc.

I have heard of one other (rare) condition in which the RNY can fail, and that is the pouch they have created at the top of the stomach has not been sufficiently separated, and basically reattaches itself to the large stomach. (So even if your intestines are bypassed your stomach capacity could in that instance be exactly the same as it was prior to surgery.)

I have only come across one other case of that in all the research I have read online, but I do think you need yours checked out.

Even if the NHS is not an option for revisional surgery because you went private, you are at least entitled to some diagnostic tests to find out what the size of your pouch is, or if it has re-attached to the lower stomach.

Once you have the results of these tests hopefully your next course of action will become clearer to you (i.e. whether you do want to pursue either the NHS or another private surgeon for revisional surgery .... or whether you might like to sue the pants of your original surgeon for the £9,000 you wasted.)

Thank You - Well Said. I definitely feel less hopeless now as I can start a plan of attack
x

Good luck hun I hope it all gets sorted for u x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I do so hope that you get some good help and advice. I to think it sounds starange that you can eat so much if as he said your pouch is the size of his thumb. He sounds like he was fobbing you off. Don't give up and let us know how you get on. Hope you now know that we are here for you hun through the good and the bad. xx

I've had a breast reduction privately years ago and when I had problems you wouldn't believe what they put in the small print of the consent forms you sign.
The NHS docs will read them through to you and explain each part and in my experience privately they pop a booklet in front of you to be signed.
I hope you manage to get to the bottom of this and get some help honey.
xx

I've lost about 10 stone and in the very early days experienced the fullness and restriction but now can eat almost anything - I still dump and have gained a couple of stone too.

Hun i just want to send you a big big hug xxx

There is certain operations that can be done if the pouch is too big, not sure if they do it over here. They basically put a fold in the stomach which reduces the size.

The NHS can help. I had a friend who went private and went the other way. She could not eat at all and lost to much weight. The surgeon kept fobbing her off till the years care ran out. She is now under NHS care 2years after her op and they where looking at doing a stretch.
You need to find out how much your pouch takes have test and then get a solicitor in as your surgeon is not keeping to the after care contract.
I hope it gets sorted hun big hug xx

If that happened to me (God forbid) I'd want answers. I wouldn't have shaken him by the hand and left..I know you felt intimidated and overwhelmed and didn't know what to do, but to me it sounds like he's a bit of a dodgy geezer who's done a less than competent job and is wriggling out of any responsibility for it. Don't take this lying down. Do what others have suggested; get some kind of examination to prove how big your pouch is and what is happening to food, threaten him with the media (they hate that!) and get hold of a good ambulance chasing lawyer. (if such a person exists!)

I have heard of one other (rare) condition in which the RNY can fail, and that is the pouch they have created at the top of the stomach has not been sufficiently separated, and basically reattaches itself to the large stomach.

This is what I was referring to, as (almost) demonstrated in picture format ....

RNY 2.jpg

You know all those "RNY" images where there is a pouch, completely and totally separate from the stomach? That is not the reality (that is for illustration purposes) -- the pouch is created at the top of the stomach and unless those stitches are put through properly and thoroughly it *could* still be attached to the lower stomach.

There is a way of measuring your pouch size at home, google cottage cheese bypass pouch test and you should find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You have all been lovely, thank you so much. I feel quite emotional with all the interest being shown. I have an appointment on 16th to discuss a Barium X Ray and I hope that I have something positive to report back.

Back