• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I eating too much/too little/just right??!!

chivasgirl

It's so hard to know whether we're eating the right amounts any more. Pre-op, you could look at a plate and think to yourself that the volume looked about right. Then you would sit down with your plate and just eat as much as you needed to make you full. I always thought of myself as a slow eater because I was still eating after hubby finished his meal. However, the reason I never realised I was full, I'm sure, must have been because I was eating faster than I thought so that 'full' sign never went up in my belly. Not while I was eating anyway!! And if I was somewhere having a lovely expensive meal, no way would I miss part of the meal or leave anything - I've paid tons for that, I'm going to eat it.... (familiar?).

Now it is so hard to judge. You get a normal size muller light yogurt at 200ml - one day you can eat 4 or 5 teaspoons, the next you can eat almost the whole thing with no problem. If you put something on a plate, it looks so small you think it can't possibly be enough. So what do you do? Well, you could put a bit more on your plate and then put it back if you can't manage it, or you could simply start telling yourself "if I finish all this and am still hungry, I can get some more", knowing in the back of your mind that there is no way you are going to need any more!!! I am still struggling in my head with seeing the small amount on my plate and thinking that the puny amount on the plate can't possibly be enough.

Generally as hubby makes dinner, things are okay because he will put a very small amount on my plate and then tell me I'll have to get off my backside if I want any more - he knows me too well, not much chance of that!! :rolleyes: But during the day I will make my lunch and always put too much on my plate/in my bowl and then have to leave most of it.

I am getting better, but it is really hard to get your head round the small amounts and what I'm finding hardest now is that I am not shifting any weight. I have stayed at the same weight for 2 weeks now!! :sigh: Having said that, it's not far off 3 stones in almost 7 weeks, so it ain't that bad is it!!

So what am I doing wrong? Not enough food? Too much food? Need more water? Exercise??

A normal day would be something like this:

• breakfast: 1/2 to 1 weetabix with 1% milk & 1/2 tsp of sweetener
  • snack: dairylea triangle
  • lunch: small bowl of soup (eg plum tomato covent garden - very low fat/low sugar - very high taste!) with tbsp of grated cheese
  • snack: diarylea triangle / small bowl of applesauce (low sugar, use sweetener) / small tub of ambrosia low fat custard / yogurt / etc
  • dinner: about half a small teaplate of something like corned beef hash, or small bowl of soup, or 3-5 tbsps mashed up fish/spud, eaten very slowly!
I manage about a litre of water a day and don't really drink much else any more, I've gone off all the fruit & herb teas I used to like, and don't drink milk.

We are told to try to have 4-6 small meals a day, and I think this all sounds about right, but I think I am going to have to right down all the nutritional information for a while as well. It's hard to do that when the amounts are so small (normally I could say well I've had half of what hubby has made, and could work out what he'd put in it, but now my half will last me about 6 meals!).

I don't really know why I'm posting this, except to get it in writing and perhaps see what other people think about the amounts I'm eating. I also think it's great to read how people are getting on with things!!

Right, must now get off my backside and go and have a shower, start getting ready to go back to work in a week or so's time now I'm feeling a whole lot better. And get a drink of water!!!

Lorna...xxx

Hi there Lorna

I have not had surgery so my knowledge is very limited I'm afraid...

Looking at your diet, I wonder if it's perhaps a bit low in protein!

It must be so difficult to gauge amounts now...I have a hard time now so what will I be like if I ever have the bypass...I always cook way too much...I cook for for 6 when there are only 3 of us at home...You could do is put your dinner on a tea plate and this would help you mentally.

Well done on your loss so far...that's brilliant.

Hope it all works out for you soon.

(((hugs)))

Hi Lorna hope you are keeping well I am 6 months post op and still struggle as to wether I am eating to much. Strange thing is I can eat a pitta bread with chicken and salad no probs But I can not eat a whole muller light lol So started to buy small yogurts. Every day is differant and your body/mind will tell you what you need. We are all different and things change from day to day

Take care

Hi Lorna hope you are keeping well I am 6 months post op and still struggle as to wether I am eating to much. Strange thing is I can eat a pitta bread with chicken and salad no probs But I can not eat a whole muller light lol So started to buy small yogurts. Every day is differant and your body/mind will tell you what you need. We are all different and things change from day to day

Take care

Hi Teen

I wonder if that's because milk/yoghurt ferment and swell your stomach a bit?...(That would definitely be the case if someone was intolerant to dairy).

(((hugs)))

Hi hun, great losses so far! Your food looks like the amount is right for your stage. You do need to drink 2x what you are drinking though! 2L per day of low cal fluids is minimum and when hot you should add another .5L! If you are concerned about the fact that you are eating so little, why not add a protein supplement? You could add a shake to boost your protein and increase your overall fluid intake. I find that some days I can manage more than others as well as some times of day I can manage more or less. It does just vary and you will get the hang of knowing how much is right, it all comes with practice. When do you go on solid foods? When you do it would be smart for you to up your daily veg, you aren't getting much now.

Keep up the good work, your head will catch up with your body soon.

Nic:p

Take care
Hi Lorna - wow i think your doing ok on the food stakes. I have struggled to put in snacks and i am just getting round to it. I eat about the same as you but i get that FULL feeling and then just stop even if i have left something on my plate (but i do think i could always eat it later - but i never do).

My big problem is fluids - i seem to be drinking/sipping on a 24hr clock!!! Don't drink tea or coffee so my main fluid intake is no sugar added squash or the occasional hightlight. But i'm working on increasing my fluid intake everyday so hopefully i'll get there.

Glad to hear your feeling better to what you did - take care and sending hugs with fairy dust xx

Back