• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Travelling immediately post-op

Twiggie

I know my surgery isn't imminent but I need to start planning ahead now so I can mentally prepare myself for the big event. If I can visualise and mentally rehearse exactly what steps I need to take it should help to lessen some of the anxiety.

My biggest worry at the moment is getting myself home post-surgery as I will be travelling unaccompanied by tube/train. Not only will I have to cope with getting up and down stairs/escalators and on/off trains but I'll also have at least two bags to carry and it's a 2 hour journey.

How feasible is this going to be for me to cope with? Should I book a couple of nights at a hotel for when I leave hospital to give myself some recovery time before travelling?

You need someone with you, really, please. Try and find someone!

At the very very least, have a couple of days rest in a local hotel, get 1 bag with wheels and a handle.

I really hope someone will help you. If I was near, I would!

would the hospital be able to help you with patient transport and take you home in one of their ambulances? I don't mean the paramedic type ambulances but the ones like minibuses.

I could hardly walk a few paces without having to stop for a breather when leaving hospital, I'd recommend you have someone with you, no heavy lifting and if possible spend a few nights in a hotel. I had to use a walking stick for a week in order to walk any distance (I'm talking about from the front door to the loo here, not miles) and I was so out of breath doing it. I was particularly bruised as well so I couldn't wipe myself properly after using the loo so I had to use small dish mops wrapped in toilet paper in order to reach. It's the little things like that which make life hard post op. Make things easier on yourself.

Please try and get a friend or family member to accompany you on your journey home post op. You will not be able to lift your bags and you will struggle getting on/off the tube or train alone. Would it cost too much to pay someone to pick you up or get a taxi back?? I don't know how far from the hospital you are. I was only 30mins away and the journey felt like a life time. I had to hold a pillow to my tum when travelling over the bumps in the road. Good luckxxxxx

As the others have said, you will be feeling extremely uncomfortable after the op, and probably in a lot of pain. Carrying bags is not advisable either due to the hernia risk.

I had about a 40 minute car ride home from hospital and it was horrid. I didnt even have the strength to get dressed and went home in my night clothes.Every speed bump and corner was agony.

Please try to get someone to help you. I know that some people who live alone have stayed in hospital for an extra couple of days. Someones suggestion to get hospital transport back home is a fantastic idea.

I hope we havent all got you too worried, but please dont underestimate how fragile you will be feeling for the first few days.

I hope you don't mind me adding that once you are home, it would be a good idea for someone to be in your home with you. It is not a good idea to be alone in the first few days. If you live alone normally could you get someone to stay for a few days, or could you stay with someone, as you will need a lot of tlc.

I agree with what the others have said my husband booked 3 days off work but it wasnt enough really, I had my op on teh monday was released on the tuesday dinner time and my husband went back to work on the thursday and i had to get 3 kids up ready and 2 of them to school and back it was hard work.
The first few days you are sore and bruised and I was a bit emotional so if there is no one to help I would stay in a hotel for a night or two or get a Taxi home or ask the hospital if they can help you.
XXX

I couldn't have stayed in a hotel. I went from the hospital in Rochdale to my mums in Carlisle, and stayed there 1 night. I was going to stay longer with my mum and my husband and kids come home for a week, but I just wanted to be at home in my own bed, and turned down her hospitality! The idea of a week of my mum waiting on me and no children hassling me, sounds fantastic!

I would agree with what the others have said about having someone with you tho, it's really quite an overwhelming time and not one you should be doing alone.

If you really have to travel alone, I would suggest a taxi so the driver will carry your bags and you can have the pillow on your tummy. Prepare everything you need in advance so you don't need to get out of bed for a few days if you can.

Thinking of you xx

As the others have said, there's no way you can undertake this sort of journey, and bag carrying on your own.I doubt if i'd have managed the tube etc even with help as I felt sooo weak, plus had the runs really bad after the barium swallow.Is there no way you can get a lift in a car from door to door.Remember no lifting at all for quite a while after the op too:(

The hospital will not discharge you normally if you do not have someone to be with you...so bear that in mind too.

You will not feel like travelling on your own and you wont be able to lift bags safely.

please find another way as your safety and health is paramount.

In all seriousness its traumatic using the tube n train when you're fit and healthy never mind post surgery! For the cost of 2 nights in a hotel surely you could just pay for a taxi home?

You are not going to help your recovery one bit by being a superhero. Please think again!

Hi Twiggie maybe email Lorna and speak to her, maybe transport can be arranged as u def wont be able to manage to get home urself on the tube and train, even if u spent 2 nights in a hotel ur going to be exhausted ad most prob not even able to walk up and down the tube and train station let alone carry your bags which could end up with you causing urself a serious injury so early post op.
You live so far away i hope there will be some way the Whittington can help you to get home xxx

In all seriousness its traumatic using the tube n train when you're fit and healthy never mind post surgery! For the cost of 2 nights in a hotel surely you could just pay for a taxi home?

You are not going to help your recovery one bit by being a superhero. Please think again!
Good thinking Julie!!!:D:D:D

Hi Twiggy, As everyone says you'll need support getting home and the tube will be too tricky. I'm sure the hospital will be able to arrange transport for you-why not give them a ring to discuss. there must be other people who have allsorts of surgery that don't have anyone to drive them home.
Will your lad be home to help you out for the first week or two? I know we mothers don't like to ask our kids to look after us but we have similar age boys and they're young men now and can help out a bit.
I know you're like me from another post and don't intend telling anyone what kind of surgery we've had but we are all going to need a bit of help after the op. Do you have older kids who could help out?
Take care x

Hun, there are no nice hotels around the Whittington (that I could find anyway!!) so you're still going to have to travel a couple of miles to get to one. My mum wanted to stay nearby when I was in but there isn't a lot in Archway. And for the cost of the hotels you could probably pay the cab to take you home. That way the cabbie can struggle with your bags instead of you. Do you really need two bags? I have one smallish trolley bag. I am totally limiting what I'm taking with me. I can wear the same clothes to get there and get back (or go home in my jammies!!!) and am taking 2-3 pairs of pyjamas. May not bother change out of the gown though. We'll see!! I'm taking small bottles of toiletries to limit how much stuff weighs as my mum will have to carry my bag. And a dressing gown. Was going to take my laptop etc but decided too heavy for my Mum to carry.

If I wasn't getting over my surgery myself then I'd offer to come and help but sadly I can't. Where is it you live again???

Please dont try this, it will do more damage than you can think, i dont think being stuck in a hotel room will make you feel good, quite a lonely place to be at the best of times. I would definitely speak to the hospital and see if they can help, if not get a taxi. Good luck.

Thanks everyone, I obviously haven't thought this one through very well so it's just as well I've asked now and not the week before surgery ;)

I'll look into the cost of a taxi but I know the last time I had to take one home from Stansted Airport (half the distance away than the hospital) it cost me £80.

There's absolutely no chance of the hospital arranging transport as I'm just too far away, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to either.... it's an elective op not an emergency or anything.

Guess I'd better start saving up now!! lol :D

Hi I dont think the hospital would discharge you if you didnt have someone to take you home ring them and fing out if this is possible and if there is any help they can offer.

Hun, there are no nice hotels around the Whittington (that I could find anyway!!) so you're still going to have to travel a couple of miles to get to one. My mum wanted to stay nearby when I was in but there isn't a lot in Archway. And for the cost of the hotels you could probably pay the cab to take you home. That way the cabbie can struggle with your bags instead of you. Do you really need two bags? I have one smallish trolley bag. I am totally limiting what I'm taking with me. I can wear the same clothes to get there and get back (or go home in my jammies!!!) and am taking 2-3 pairs of pyjamas. May not bother change out of the gown though. We'll see!! I'm taking small bottles of toiletries to limit how much stuff weighs as my mum will have to carry my bag. And a dressing gown. Was going to take my laptop etc but decided too heavy for my Mum to carry.

If I wasn't getting over my surgery myself then I'd offer to come and help but sadly I can't. Where is it you live again???

Yep, I've been using Travelodge rooms when I come down for my appts so would still need to get to the hotel, although a black cab is only about £10 so that's not so bad.

I said two bags as my handbag is almost the size of an overnight bag, nicely fits my laptop in it too ;)

I'm going to have to rethink this and maybe come up with some alternative plans.

Back