• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Travelling immediately post-op

I have to agree with caz on this one Ime afraid. The form that I filled in 3 weeks before my op had a question box stating who is taking you home from hospital. Also will you have help at home after your op. Gail x
The hospital will not discharge you normally if you do not have someone to be with you...so bear that in mind too.

You will not feel like travelling on your own and you wont be able to lift bags safely.

please find another way as your safety and health is paramount.

I know I keep giving my strong opinions on this, but it is for your own good hun.No way will you be ok on public transport, whether it's first class or cattle class:(:(You will be weak, tired, and very emotional and quite sore at the least, and all you will want will be your own bed asap:(
A taxi, no matter how expensive is the only option if you can't get a lift off someone, and as Gail said you will need help at home once you get home:eek:
Maybe this isn't what you want to read, but i'd hate to see you collapse on public transport after what is after all MAJOR SURGERY!!! :eek:

Twiggie, I hate the idea of you doing that journey on public transport. I know you have said you don't like the idea of going in someones car that you don't know, but isn't that what a taxi is? I would be only too pleased to help you out with a lift. I do work full-time so if it can be done evening or weekend so much the better, otherwise I can organise some time off. This is a serious offer, please consider it.

I will even carry both bags for you. :D xx

Twiggie, I hate the idea of you doing that journey on public transport. I know you have said you don't like the idea of going in someones car that you don't know, but isn't that what a taxi is? I would be only too pleased to help you out with a lift. I do work full-time so if it can be done evening or weekend so much the better, otherwise I can organise some time off. This is a serious offer, please consider it.

I will even carry both bags for you. :D xx
Awww John you're such a sweetie:D:D

I appreciate all your concerns over this, honestly I do. The only reason I considered travelling home via train is because this is actually the fastest route, and possibly the smoothest journey home. It's a non-stop train, taking just an hour, whereas by car/taxi it would take double that time with no doubt lots of stopping/starting which I assume would cause severe discomfort :eek: ...and also, the 1st class carriage is usually empty during the afternoon, mainly used by commuting business men ;)

Glenville - thank you very much for your kind & generous offer, I'll certainly bear it in mind when considering my options, thanks :cool:

candie/Gail - I do have someone at home, my son lives with me :)

Last edited:
Hun have u got a date yet, sorry if u have told me my brain is working extra slow these past few weeks lol x

I had every intention of travelling home by bus & then by train after my surgery, the hospital refused for me to use public transport to go home, my hubby picked me up by car in the end but I live approx 2.5hrs from the hospital. You may find that your hospital has the same policy, despite your high pain threshold etc you need to give yourself the very best recovery, risk of infection etc travelling on public transport would be too high for me the NHS has just spent a huge amount of money on your op transport home will be a drop in the ocean. I wish you all the very best & a speedy recovery.
Regards
Bunny xx

Back