• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Travelling in the car after gastric band surgery

blossom11

Hi all,

Just trying to get organised for my surgery. I know it will be in the afternoon and HW have suggested I will probably be fine to go straight home. I live about 1.5 hours away from the hospital. Will I be ok to travel that distance straight after or would it be better for me to get a hotel?

Thoughts appreciated please!

Obviously my husband will be driving!!

Thanks in advance x x x

Hi blossom
I thought usually it included an over night stay I travelled that distance the following morning with the hospital group and was fine but personally wouldn't have fancied it straight after surgery X

Hi Blossom, I live in Leeds and went for my surgery at Dolan Park in Birmingham so with the bloody rd works on the M1 it was about a 2.5 hour journey. I travelled the day after my surgery and I have to be honest it was the most uncomfortable part of the whole experience.

After my surgery I remember just dozing a lot so perhaps if they give you something stronger than paracetamol (they did give me something think it was diamorphine) you might be OK.

Quite surprised though that they're sending you home so quickly as that was when I experienced the most amount of discomfort and needed something stronger than paracetamol, also they checked my blood pressure throughout the night.

If your planning to reaves home, have a nice puffy pillow with you in the car. Place it in between you and the seat belt and it'll give you extra padding and comfort.

Back