• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post surgery feelings? re travelling

top_kat

Hi,

I thought I'd made a post, but I cannot find it so unsure where its gone . . .

But I was just wondering how you felt post surgery, physically in relation to pain/travelling.

Due to logistics and the only person able to really pick me up from hospital looking after my son, it is quite likely that I will have to travel home by train. My stepdad is away on holiday so he isn't an option and my brother has just gotten himself a full time job so can't take the time off.

The patient co-ordinator has said that this is an option to travel by train and I would be ok but not to drive myself. However, my concern is whether I am actually likely to feel up to it.

One of my work colleagues has said they would come and collect me, but they don't know I am going in for weight loss surgery and as such, don't know how I feel about him travelling to pick me up either lol

Just wondering . . .how people felt post surgery and whether you'd have been up for a 90 min train journey (with 1 change at Birmingham New St)

Anyone any thoughts?

TIA Kat x

Absolutely not an option if you ask me. I felt awful after my journey home and I was driven home by my mum. Had been feelin pretty good before the journey. Also wouldn't want the risk of my tender stomach being jostled on the way home.

THank you ~ that is my concern is that I just wont feel up to it. . .this is the difficulty when who I am going to is so far away . . .

Yeah I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree that it really isn't a good idea. My mum drove me home too, it was an hour and half journey and I felt every bump. Trains can be really bumpy so if you can possibly get a lift I would. If you don't want to tell your colleague you could say you had a hernia repair. I know that is something others have said when they wanted to keep things to themselves.

I wouldn't have wanted to, you will have your bag to carry as well, but, there are lots who travel back from other countries after surgery. Maybe one of them will be able to offer an opinion.

Hiya - I would definitely go for a lift and not the train. I had a short 30 minute car journey home but felt every bump in the road. Although not ill, I felt very delicate in the tummy region (bit like being kicked by a horse!!). Not wishing to sound dramatic but train aside, potential of crowded station, luggage etc doesn't sound wise. Good luck. T xxx

I've never been to Birmingham New Street when it hasn't been busy. So not something I would contemplate after what is major surgery. Is there no chance you could confide in your colleague? Get someone else to babysit whilst your mum picks you up?

My husband came with me and stayed at a hotel overnight as we had a 3 hour car journey but if I had to I would have felt fine on a 90min train journey.
If I took a taxi from the hospital to the train station then again at the other end to the house I would have been fine. I did not feel that bad after being banded that an hour and a half of sitting on a train would have bothered me.
Everyone feels different though but even on the day of surgery they have you up walking around etc.
If it is basically your only option I think the train is fine, less bumpy than a car ride too. I will tell you going round, roundabouts was not too comfy though.
I suppose it all depends on what type of surgery you are having and if you feel you handle discomfort well?

Thanks everyone for you help.

I'm seeing what arrangements I can possibly make, even if someone can collect me in the evening, am sure I would be able to wait at the hospital. Need to find out.

Back