• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy bugs and the band?

Sarah Metcalf

I woke up this morning with stomach cramps and bad diarrhea, I've still got it and am now getting aches in my upper torso. I've not been sick, but was wondering if there's any chance this could affect my band?

I'm freezing so off to bed now xx

Poor you, there's a fair bit going around at the moment. I don't think it would affect your band (only guessing). As the doctor always says..drink plenty of fluids xxx

I'd just stick to water. I spoke to my consultant before surgery about having a band and my main concern was a stomache bug and how to be properly sick. If I feel ill I want to be sick not feel uncomfortable while you wait for it to go through you.
He told me that you do have to be carefull as one of his patients had a band and got a severe gastric bug within a couple of months of his op. He ended up with a badly inflamed stomache where he had part of the lower pouch having gone through the banded area and obviously needed surgery to remove the band.
This is obviously the extreme, so I'd just sip on water until your over it.

hope you get better soon xx

Aw Sarah - sorry to hear you`ve been feeling poorly, hope it does`nt last long hun x

Probably would`nt hurt you to have a slimfast, thats if you think you could keep it down. It has lots of nutrients that if your not eating could benefit you.

Just try to sip it and take it slowly over an hour or so. Gives your digestion a chance to recover from it. x

Hope you rest this evening and sleep well tonight, and perhaps by the morning you`ll feel a little better.

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

Just stick to plain water until it passes, anything milky might well feed the 'bug' that might be causing it. Just think to what you would have done pre-band if you got a tummy bug, you didn't eat just drank water i bet, same applies. If you get at all worried speak to hospital where you had it put in. Get plenty of rest and hopefully you'll be over it quickly. xx

Back