• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ummmm

mandymoo

How can you eat cereal with milk, at the end I finish off the milk in the bowl but is this bot the same ad eating & drinking ummmm x

I tend not to have cereal for brekkie but if I do I have it dry or mixed with yoghurt for this very reason.

Im sure as long as you dont drown it in milk it will be fine if you want to stick to cereal x

on the odd occasion where i have special k i only use about 50ml of skimmed milk just enough to coat the cereal not soak it so as it stays crunchy and if there is milk left in the bottom i just throw it out i know wasteful but my dietician said it has to be crunchy. never tried cereal with yoghurt could give it a go:)

I have thought the same thing about ice lollies after tea. My husband and kids often have one of those mini milk things after tea and Im not sure if that would count as a drinking? Having said thar when I used to have cereal I didnt even think about the milk. x

OMG good question i have TONS of milk!

i have been eating weetabix every morning,. i wod say its more of a mushie dish x

Must make sure not to use so much milk, I tend to use a bit as I don't drink tea or coffee so was trying to get some calcium into me :)
X

So whats the difference,bypassers cant eat and drink at the same time either.Whatever bit of milk thats left will just go in her pouch with the cereal.Its not like necking a good amount.

The difference is that we are advised to eat slightly different things. Solid and dry textured foods keep us fuller for longer, cereals with milk can easily become slider texture.

What about soup & smoothies both are suppose to be meals but both have a lot of liquid??? Xx

They're great for the recovery period after op and also before and after fills.

If you want to make things a great deal easier on yourself though, following the advice from fellow banders is recommended

Eating the dense , crunchy, dry foods recommended by most banders nutritionists and surgeons, that take a long time to filter down through the band, helps us feel fuller longer on the small portions and will help us avoid getting hungry too quickly.

If we eat too many slider foods, the band can't really do anything to help us lose weight, we are hungry again sooner and we don't get good results...remember we don't have any malabsorbtion to back us up!

(Also remember we still have the hungry hormone Ghrelin, being produced - bypassers often have a big reduction in this hormone after surgery which can mean a big reduction in appetite...no such luck for us unfortunately)

Mazza knows what she's talking about! As a target/maintaining bander, her guidelines on the food side are definately worth checking and obviously work pretty well!!

Last edited:
Yes soups and smoothies are fine when you are on liquid stages either post op or post fill but when you are on a normal diet they are best restrcited or even better avoided.

Its hard to make good choices all the time - nobodies perfect but while you are newly post op its really worth taking your time to get your head round the 'rules' that work best for us.

You cant live without food, so you have to learn to live with it - all over again.

Dont worry, keep asking the questions and we will all help as much as we can x x x

Back