• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Undecided - help, please!!

Gnomes

Hi, don't really now where to start, but here goes, I've had my 1st app, Mr Sufi @ Whittington last month, as I am out of my PCT area (Suffolk) I already have funding in place, so things can move a little quicker for me, have 2nd app for Echo and gastroscopy end of July, then who knows???

I only have 1 question that keeps going round and round my head, before all this started and up until recently I have wanted a band, now I'm thinking I only have once chance at this do I go for the sleeve??

I'm 90% sure I can make to band work for me, but that 10% is saying, what if you can't?? and I don't won't to waste this??

Can anyone help??

I'm sorry to ramble on, but I'm just so undecided and that really isn't like me.

Thanks all

Hi didn't want to read and run:) However I'm not yet officially a pre-opper as I am still in research stage. I started out thinking I wanted a band but have gradually thought that a bypass will be better for me personally. I know several people who have had bands and most of them have been very successful. I also know someone who has had a bypass with incredible results. I don't have funding so will be going privately and therefore, like you, wont be able to afford to go and do any of this again. For that reason, and the pattern of endless grazing, and large portions, I think the bypass may suit me better.

I think that the surgeon should discuss how and what you eat now and may have suggestions as to what he thinks will be better suited to you - maybe you should meet him again so that you might be a bit clearer in your mind. Good luck - this is a mammoth step and I know how much you want it to be the right decision!

Hi

I have no advice for you as I'm still in the early stages but why don't you give the nurses a call for a chat about things. I've found all members of the team so approachable and I'm sure they'll help. Their number is 07769926527.

Hi
its a very personal thing, but i originally went for a band and the surgeon said it wouldnt work for me because of my eating habits, ive got a sweet tooth, snacked and ate large amounts so he said the only op he would do for me would be the bypass !!
i was totally scared as this seemed like such a major op compared to the band but here i am 9 months post op and hand on heart i can say he was right !! ive lost 9 stone in 9 months and couldnt be happier.

The bypass was definately the right thing for me but everyones different. You should look at your personal eating habits and do lots of reading and research on here and decide whats right for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide
xxxxx

I can't agree more with Dawn. I was totally set on a band and dismissed a bypass straight away purely because it seemed so drastic. But a review of my eating habits and a bit of a leading word from my surgeon (never pressured just offered suggestions) that perhaps a bypass would be better, I did decide on it after much soul searching.
You have to do your research, it seems from here that 99% of people will support their choice of band/bypass/sleeve etc all the way and this is great, but shows how personal a decision it is. Only you can know what's best for you. I bet that in your heart of hearts the decision is made one way or the other...

Good luck with your choice! x

It took me several reads of the information sheets that I was given by Bournemouth Hospital, I was wholeheartedly convinced the band was the one for me, but then I looked at myself in the light of what the information said and realised that I got this way because I have no will power, so I just know that I would cheat and eat naughty things I shouldn't. Then of course there was the co-morbidites, diabetes, High Blood Pressure and Arthritis, plus a bmi of over 50. So I talked myself into the bypass, and now I am one month on and wondered what the fuss was about. This isn't a decision to be taken lightly, follow your heart and listen to your surgeons advice really, he will tell you his opinion but at the end of the day you have to do what you feel is best for you and you are happy with. Good Luck. xx

I started off exactly the same - and have now decided to have a sleeve. I can tell you the reasons why I decided against the band if you like (there are many!) but I wouldn't want to upset anyone on here that already has a band fitted. And of course, it is a very personal decision, that only you can make. I would suggest doing a bit more research about the pros and cons of each procedure, and then decide which is more suited to your eating habits/issues. x

Thanks for the reply
Please tell me all the reasons as to why you didn't go for the band? I would rather have as much information as possible, also you might come up with something that I hadn't even thought of

Hi Gnomes

The average statistics for percentage weight loss would mean you may not be able to lose all you want to with a band. With a BMI of over 50 surgeons in most cases would recommend a bypass or indeed a sleeve.

We have some very succesful sleevers on here some of which have lost a tremendous amount of weight. Im sure if you talk things over with your team you will come up with the right choice for you.

Good luck x

My advice would be to listen to your surgeon/consultant. At the end of the day they know best when listening to your eating habits.

Use this site to ask all your questions, get stats off banders/sleevers/bypassers. Get the pro's n con's and then make a balanced decision. At the end of the day only you know what's right.

I have to say 6 yrs ago i went to speak to a consultant with the view to getting a band and with his advice i realised a bypass was the way for me to go. I've lost the weight slower than others but i can eat most foods and had a period of not picking the right foods. I am now back on track and will be a succesful bypasser xxx

Back