• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi I'm New - I can't get positive about the band !

Elly569

Hi All

Initially I was hoping to have the bypass but on visiting my consultant Dr Sufi at the Whittington Hospital last week I was told that I was best suited for a band due to the fact that I am on some pretty toxic medication for rhumetoid arthritis and before the bypass I would need to come off this medication for a while and this will result in a very painful flare up of arthritis. Needless to say I so disappointed, I have done all my research into the bypass and nowI have to research the band. Is there anyone on this site who suffers from arthritis who can give me any advice or anyone who has the band and has had a positive result. In fact any advice I would really appreciate.

Thank you x :wave_cry:

Hiya Hun, I've not had any op's yet but you lose the same amount of weight with each procedure after 2 years. The bypass you lose more faster at the start. The bypass is better for people who love sweet things as a lot of people dump. The band can be cheated by melting chocolate. The band you also have to have refills. I think sagging skin would be better with the band as its slower. I think they would both work for you hun. I myself personally prefer the bypass. Could you bare the pain of your arthritis for a short time? If you can't there both good, hope I've helped a little till somebody comes along xxxx

Hi Elly. Both my partner and I are under the Whittington, and have met Mr Sufi, i would personally go with what he says he is a fantastic man with alot of experience, what i would say to him is, is ther any possibility once my weight is down and hopefully off these tablets that they could change the band to a bypass, i know it would involve 2 ops but you would get the best of both worlds, see what he says keep us informed xx

Hi, with the band you will have to work at it but it can be successful with a good positive mental attitude and willpower. There are some very successful banders on this site who will give you a more positive acount...

I personally cannot see your pct paying for two operations especially as some struggle to get funding for one...

I know very little about the sleeve but could this be another option? Is it you can't have the bypass because of malabsorption and your meds?

Initially I was hoping to have the bypass but on visiting my consultant Dr Sufi at the Whittington Hospital last week ...

Hi,

Han's pretty much beaten me to what I was going to say, but I'll say it anyway...

I don't know why protocol dictates it, but surgeons tend to be "Mister" rather than "Doctor" over here, which I think is a little disrespectful of their chosen career as they would have had to study alongside their general medicine colleagues until they went into their speciality.

Mr Sufi (and his registrar, Mr. Ramar) are both absolutely wonderful. If you discussed your concerns with him and he addressed them, why are you still so disheartened? If you didn't discuss them with him, why didn't you? It could be that his plan is to get a band on you to get some initial weight off then look to revise it at a later date. It may also not be that so this is why it's best to discuss directly with your healthcare professionals.

I do know exactly how you feel, however, as I just can't feel positive about the band either but I may end up with one as a temporary measure. Due to previous surgery there may be internal scarring that prevents my chosen operation (a bypass) being carried out successfully so Sufi might have to go for a sleeve or - last resort - band if he can't get the access he needs. The aim is that if it's a sleeve or band a later revision can be carried out.

Regarding the PCT/SCG funding mentioned by phatmomma, I really wouldn't worry about that at this stage. If Sufi recommends a band then it will be out of medical necessity so if/when revision is required you'll be looked upon more favourably then someone who elected to have a band at the outset but now wants an alternative option. That said, who knows what the government is going to do to the NHS so there's really no point thinking about a future operation before you get through this first one!

Your choice of wording makes me think that he wasn't saying that he wouldn't do a bypass, only that a band is a better option to prevent an unpleasant experience pre-surgery. If you're prepared to see through the pain then he may well consider it - normally the patient can choose the surgery they want but if the consultant is recommending something else it's definately worth finding out why.

If you're that unsure about it and didn't discuss it with him on the day, give Lorna or Kirsten a call (details on the Whittington web site) and mention that you have concerns and would like to discuss with them. They may be able to arrange a telephone appointment or quick chat. Depending upon what happened at your appointment, there will probably be other chances to discuss or change your mind; if you were given a form to fill in and take to the Day Patients desk to schedule the surgical date then you need to speak up now!

Regards, Ade.

you lose the same amount of weight with each procedure after 2 years.

From the NLOSS Obesity Surgery Handbook issued by the Whittington Hosptial:

Expected Weight Loss
- Gastric Band: 30 - 60% of Excess Weight
- Gastric Bypass: 70 - 80% of Excess Weight

Everything else you've said, I absolutely agree with.

Regards, Ade.

Hi Elly, I can't offer any advice on your medical situation but I'd just like to re-iterate what the others have said about taking Mr Sufi's advice. He was also my surgeon and I have the utmost respect for him, he's an excellent surgeon.

I originally wanted a band but Mr Sufi didn't think it would be suitable for me and advised I had a rethink about having a bypass. Like you, I'd fully researched the band (in your case the bypass) so found it extremely difficult at first to accept I couldn't have one. I think you need to speak with someone to get further advice on your particular medical situation, either Kirsten or Mr Sufi, both of which can be contacted directly via email and they'll get back to you very quickly.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Elly,
could we ask what the meds are called that your on please ????????? it maybe that someone on the site also uses these meds they may be able to help you more x

Hi Elly,
Welcome to the site ! I have not had my op yet but am waiting to hear if and when!
I hope you find all the help and support you need ,good luck .
Marie.:welcome2:

Elly,
could we ask what the meds are called that your on please ????????? it maybe that someone on the site also uses these meds they may be able to help you more x

With all due respect I don't think anybody here is going to be able to offer Elly medical advice over and above that which her surgeon has already advised her.

Hi Elly, welcome to the WLS forum. Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, but I agree with Twiggy in that your surgeon really is the best person to give you that sort of advice. What I can say, is that there are lots of very positive experiences on here from ladies who have had bands!
I understand what you are saying though, if you had your mind on one thing, it can be hard to get your head around if that option may be taken away from you. Do some research yourself & have a read through threads on here for yourself, then you will be better informed to go back & have another chat about things with your surgeon xxx

Back