• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update: Surgery Booked!

Nellyphant

So, DH and I have made the decision for me to set things in motion for a bypass. I had my initial consultation today and can make my pre-op assessment appt as soon as I'm ready.

DH is trying to be sensible and suggesting that I wait for surgery until the summer holidays and we can send our daughter to her grandparents whilst I'm in hospital. We still have dogs to think about sorting out. We don't have any family nearby so my support network is a few good friends that I have. My DH works an hour and a half away and is self employed so he can't just take off extra time from work as we've a couple of weeks booked away this year.

Is there a better time? Will there ever be a good time? I'm of the impression that there never is a 'good time' and if you wait for it it just doesn't occur.

A little hand holding is needed please.

Last edited:
Not sure re a good time, just glad to hear that you have reached a decision with DH. WOuld it be possible for a grandparent to come and stay - they could look after daughter and dogs and keep you company while DH is at work? Do you work? If so when can you arrange the time off - I was signed off sick for 4 weeks, but have a pretty a ctive job, others in office jobs have gone back as early as 1-2 weeks.

When I had my op I was surprised at how little I could do and how much I slept! I slept a good 10-12 hours at night and a couple of hours during the day for the First couple of weeks. So having someone else around to look after you might be helpful too :)

Hi

I cannot really help, being the man of the house and with all our kids being grown up, but I would say that even the bypass operation which I had dosen't knock you our for long, and you could be doing basic housework and cooking after only a week. So I would just go for it, before you ore someone around you changes there mind, the more you think about the problems the more important they will become.

Go and get it done as soon as possible I say.

Paul

Yes just go for it, there will never be a good time the sooner the better, just get prepared with freezing meals etc. that will save you a lot of hard work and worry if you get that sorted, friends can see to your dogs through the day, and how old is you child? I am sure that for a week or 2 someone could help you out if its a case of getting them to school, honmestly you will cope with whatever, I was back to work after 2 weeks, as long as you are prepared, get your house a good clean just before you go in and your beds changed and then you won't be worrying bout little things like that when you come ho,e cause everything will be done, by the end of the 2nd week you will be doing things you usually do. xx Good luck hope this helps. xx

first 2/3 days I just needed to be in my bed but after that I did usual housework etc just took my time and was slower. Getting yourself up n about will improve your recovery anyway so go for it!

Just go for it Hun, I have had 6 weeks off ( got 1 week left) but that's cause my boss wanted me in tip top health before I came back but defo would have been fine to go back at 2 week if not sooner.

Ok, my head is in a spin. I can have my pre-op assessment next week and my op on the 14th May. I've booked dogs into kennels and got to sort out daughter and husband as I'd rather have him working from home when I first get home than when I'm in hospital. I'm going to ask my friend to have my DD for a few days for us and another to pick her up from school for me. I have been pencilled in for this date and I need to confirm in the next couple of days. Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!

Yes go for it, most of us on here had to wait almost 2 years on the NHS so yeah get it done while you can get them rung and confirm it, the dogs are sorted your daughter is almost sorted just get the household chores sorted and some healthy meals in the freezer for you and hubby and youre sorted. Well done xx

Great news. Agree with everyone about going for it. Good luck.

Well done1 That's no time at all. Who did you decide to go with in the end? And how did you decide? Sorry, bit nosy I know;)

Good luck, I'm sure it will all fall into place for you when the time comes
Em xx

Pre-op on Wednesday and surgery is booked for the 14th May................OMG!

Well done you the quicker the better less time to panic and get fed up of waiting. Pleased you did it give yourself a pat on the back just start getting your freezer and shopping preparations sorted. xx:)

Yay!!! Good luck!!! Xxx

Back