• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

An update re. surgery referral

poppyowner

Hiya

Got a letter today from my GP saying he's heard back from Chichester Hospital and they cannot see me unless they have proof of funding from our PCT......SO my GP has now written a letter to them asking for me to be 'funded' for the surgery so we can then approach Chichester.

He sent a copy of his letter to the funding board - quite surprised he is keeping me 'in the know' BUT GRATEFUL!

SO NOW I have to wait to hear IF I have been granted funding - obviously it looks like my GP did the referral in the wrong order - DOH!!! BUT at least wheels are in motion again - fingers and all else crossed!

Wish me luck!

Jill:)

Good Luck lovey, my fingers are crossed for you all the way!xxx

good luck sweets, its all crossed! x

Am soooooooo upset, my GP has just rung me to tell me the PCT want me to attend weight management clinic and they may assess me and deny my funding / referral. Apparently he has a massive form to fill in so has asked me to go see him at 10am on Wednesday armed with weights and dates from over 2010 - I don't know how many of these I can give as my data is locked in a website I no longer have access to so will have to work it out backwards as good as I can! :( Already been in tears over this as scared over what the clinic entails, whether they'll put me on a strict diet regime I cannot stick to, whether it will cost me a lot to attend re. distance....if this is just their way of deterring the inevitable! I so feel like bingeing, crying then bingeing again.....shame being I have been so focused this week prior to the call! I'm gonna try my damndest to stick to plan...... I fit the NICE criteria though, it never mentioned weight loss clinics, why are they sending me?
WHAT HAPPENS AT THESE CLINICS? HOW OFTEN DO YOU ATTEND? IS IT AT YOUR LOCAL HOSPITAL/ DOCTORS? Anyone else from East Sussex ever been put onto these clinics following referral for funding?
PLEASE HELP.........

Im sorry I cant help hun, just wanted to say I hope it works out ok for you and someone who can help will be along soon Im sure XX

Can't advise you for your specific area, but these weight loss clinics are a pretty standard requirements for many PCT's before they will grant funding, so nothing unusual in it and it's certainly not a case of inevitable refusal of funding. It's about assessing your commitment & input into the whole process. Think of it as jumping through required hoops to get where you need to be. Many of us had to attend these clinics, plus others things like sleep apneoa assessments, psychologist assessments etc. All pretty standard syuff, although it can all vary depending on your area. You won't be expected to pay to attend the weight loss clinics, but you will be expected to attend all the sessions they stipulate. It isn't a 'strict starvation diet' thing, but more about leaning the nutritional values of foods and trying to eat sensibly and healthily...not unreasonable at all considering you will need to continue doing just that after any WLS to acheive good weight loss & keep it off. Try not to get too upset especially as you probably have a way to go yet, but you have a sympathetic Dr which is almost always a plus. The long complicated forms are pretty standard too, just answer as best you can.

Thanks Angie

WELL - went to the GP today - saw him for about 20 mins - basically I sat there while he read the form aloud and then asked me 2 questions. He has admitted I am his first patient to go through a referral for funding!! oo-er!!
Took along weight measurements etc from this previous year and he duly completed the form. This was the funding form - so have been told he THINKS I now have to wait to see if I have got funding - THEN I am meant to attend a clinic which may / may not lead to surgery! He told me "They'll have more hoops for you to jump through!"
Gives me hope - not!
He doesn't know where the clinic is......he said there is 'something' written on the form about Ashford in Kent!!!! I'm not happy driving long distances after my eye op so this worries me - I thought since it is meant to be basically a pop in and weigh then chat with dietician type clinic that it should be at local hospital etc.......
NOT GONNA WORRY ABOUT THAT NOW! just need to WAIT and see if I get the funding first - without that - no clinic - no surgery so everyone cross those fingers / legs - ANYTHING for a YES to funding!!! Doctor told me when I asked approx how long to find out "It is the NHS so your guess is as good as mine - allow years!!!!"

Jill

At least the ball is rolling properly...hopefully through being on here you may be able to get in contact with other people in your area who will be able to advise you better on waiting estimations & what PCT/hospital requirements are followed where you are xxx

Guess what....... my GP rang today to tell me I HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR NHS FUNDING !!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Have a meeting with him to read letter and discuss next steps on Monday at 10am..... WOOHOO! !!

What happens next now i have got my funding - is it now just waiting for the Hospital appointment to meet / greet surgeon or do i have other hurdles to jump first?

WOOHOO anyway!

Jill

Brilliant news. So happy for you. xxx

Thanks all

Went to surgery and got dreaded smear out of way (phew) then saw my Doctor - he was running 30 mins late and in all I was in his room for less than 5 mins!!! Basically he gave me a copy of my funding acceptance letter and a list of hospitals I could choose from. He also stressed the funding only applies if not gained over BMI result as when applying.
The hospitals are mainly London based - although I am choosing Chichester Hospital as closer.
The Doctor told me to visit a website as the Hospital I want is the only one to do so but asks for a 10 page Questionnaire to be downloaded and completed.
The time-scale seems to be within 18 weeks if all goes through straightforwardly - I am to complete this form then drop it in to Doctor and he will send the questionnaire up with referral letter AND funding acceptance letter. After that I wait to get an appointment to see surgeons etc at Chichester.
IF I do go too far outside of my BMI as was then funding may have to be reapplied for WHICH I DON'T WANT!
I am very excited as if all goes smoothly could be having done May 2011 time..... so this time next year could be a fair bit slimmer....... am now worried re BMI readings AND questionnaire incase I enter something that makes them think me unsuitable. I also within the form have to fill in a 4 day food diary but am unsure if this is meant to be when being 'good' or a typical 'naughty' week......
Am thinking of handing this form in just after Xmas so it doesn't get lost in festive post - cannot see a time limit so that should be ok THEN I will follow Calorie Counting to try to ensure same or lower BMI reading after xmas period as know I lose quicker on that - so to be on safe side ;)
Also am worrying as quite a distance from home - how much a travel-lodge etc would be for Dean cos if Gastric Bypass you can stay in for 3-4 days!!! You know me and worrying! I think I'll worry about Deans accomodation AFTER I get the go-ahead following hospital appointment (well - if I do!)
Thought I'd post this update...... thanks for supporting me

Jill

hi Jill. It's all sounding very positive to me. Congratulations! I think Chichester is a really good place for surgery and very quick too. I had an 18 month wait between funding and surgery; bit different to 18 weeks, eh? I'm really pleased or you.

Fill your form in when/as if you're eating normally/naughtily! It helps the hospital to assess which surgery is the most suitable for you. You could always send your form by registered post to ensure it doesn't get lost.

My hubby also had to stay with me as we live a long way from my hospital. We found B&B accommodation cheaper. Travel lodges work out cheaper when there's a few of you sharing a room. But I think you can also get a good deal if you are able to book well in advance.
But if he does go for B&B, make sure you get somewhere which doesn't kick you out all day, like my poor hubby did! He was wandering round in torrential rain and thunderstorms!
Hopefully May will be lovely and sunny!
Best wishes
Grace xxx

Guess what...... went to full day appointment and HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY !!!! The surgeon has hinted we could be talking March for the Op.

WOOHOO !!!!

Jill

Back