• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Varicose veins and Gastric Reflux

Porpo

Hello again, does anyone know whether gastric reflux or varicose veins cause problems for the op? Am going to be asking lots of questions this week, sorry - think Im getting my date tomorrow :D xxx

Does the hospital know about your gastric reflux? Sometimes it can damage the oesophagus and they need to know about it so that your oesophagus can be checked (they need to pass a tube down during the op) If you haven't told them before, they need to know. I've never heard of varicose veins causing problems with the op. xx

Just trying to remember my discussion with the surgeon and anaesthetist I would say no for the reflux provided you are strict with the pre-op fasting requirements. Gastric reflux during surgery can be dangerous. Think stomach contents in your lungs. Not a good thing. So if told don't eat or drink for x hours before surgery then make sure you DON'T. Good thing however is that most pre-exisitng cases of reflux resolve almost immediately post op. If you have it, then put your money on it going away almost instantly. Mine has. I hope that in my post-surgery haze I have remembered correctly the discussions I had with my surgical team.

As for varicose veins, I have no idea. They do give you those inflating boots for your calves to support circulation though.

Yeah I put it down on the form I filled in months ago... I havent discussed though with anyone though yet. Hopefully tomorrow will have my pre op and op date (have an idea when they're thinking of the op and it's fairly soon).
x

Just trying to remember my discussion with the surgeon and anaesthetist I would say no for the reflux provided you are strict with the pre-op fasting requirements. Gastric reflux during surgery can be dangerous. Think stomach contents in your lungs. Not a good thing. So if told don't eat or drink for x hours before surgery then make sure you DON'T. Good thing however is that most pre-exisitng cases of reflux resolve almost immediately post op. If you have it, then put your money on it going away almost instantly. Mine has. I hope that in my post-surgery haze I have remembered correctly the discussions I had with my surgical team.

As for varicose veins, I have no idea. They do give you those inflating boots for your calves to support circulation though.

Thanks for that, if it goes away I would be over the moon!

Back