• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

acid reflux and other problems....

masonrules

Hello everyone.

Since being banded I have had a problem with what I think is acid reflux ...feels like a golf ball covered in spikes is stuck in my throat quite a lot of the time! It feels like my band is very high up....like in my chest (obviously I know it isn't). The pain has brought me to tears on a few occasions.

Its not like I'm 'full' and have no.problem eating although swallowing cold drinks can be painful.

I phoned thg and spoke to a nurse who said I need to eat more slowly. I have been trying but was eating with a teaspoon anyway and not broken the rules so not sure what more I can do....

I have had gaviscon and rennies etc which are GROSS and only seem to work for a very short period of time.

Do you think.the band might settle and be okay? Long term I am going to find it hard to continue like this
I also know that chronic acid reflux is really bad for you and can cause cancer.

In other news....can't drink wine! Have only had (or attempted) three separate small glasses since being banded. Once either friends (had to run to loo and retch), once either my mother when my aunt died (felt sick), and yesterday at my aunts funeral ( had to run outside and retch in the street!) I won't be trying it again for good while!!

Has anyone had either of these problems and can give me some hope?

And before I get told off for the wine....thg said no alcohol for five days after op. And its been nearly three weeks and I have tried very little.

Also - been going through a rough time with my aunts death....could for without 'tough love' at the moment.... Any advice would be appreciated though xxx

Hello there,

Gastric reflux is normally a sign of tight band, but as ur only 3 weeks out I presuming you have not had a fill as yet ( unless u had one when the operation was done) I would seriously consider contacting ur provider again and asking them to check you out - as you stated long term acid reflux is not good for you and can also damage your vocal cords as well . Please do not leave it. Wishing you all the best - Julie xx

Hello Masonrules, Im not sure why your getting the acid reflux but personally Ive had problems with rice, rice just comes straight back up with loads of bile(ew sorry) so I stay away from rice now. Also nothing gets stuck in my band unless I dont chew properly, try and have small bites and chew loads until you cant chew no more, sometimes I forget and I get that horrible 'chest' pain your talking about. Did you have anythink in your band at surgery? It could be too tight? Im not sure about the wine is it still wine? Ive been fine with wine. You could call your provider if you are worried. Good luck xx

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond....thank you. It was still wine, yes. And I had 3mls in at time of surgery. Am going to call them again now. To be honest, for the first time I am regretting surgery...I just feel weird and ill.

And sorry if that first email sounded confrontational....just feel crap and am on the edge!

Mason I've had this prob since I got filled on Monday it is deffo acid reflux I've had it before do u have any meds from doc for it ? I do but for some reason there not working :( the feeling driving me mad I also get it if I leave too long between eating I get it , yours should settle down soon if not go to docs see wot they say as for mine think I might need a nit of a defill :(

Just had a coffee and feel really sick. Oh god!

Nope it's not right or normal so insist on being seen x

No it's not right when my band slipped I had bad reflux they had to empty it but in the end took it out you must speak to them take care
If you are sick and like coffee grains in there contact striaghtt away

Thanks all of you. Think I'm going to try to get them to do an x ray. Have had this reflux pain since the very beginning so hoping it hasn't slipped.

Hope u feel better mason I'm going to give THG a ring tomorrow as I can't carry on like this :(

If your unable to keep any fluids down call them as a matter of urgency as you can dehydrate very quickly, please do not leave it xxx

This isnt to do with the surgery but have u tried milk of magnesia? I cant stand gaviscon but milk of mag tastes nicer and is alot easier to swallow. Hope you get it sorted and feel better soon x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks all of you. Spoke to a lovely dietician who told me its very unlikely band has slipped and told me to wait a minute between each mouthful of food. I did that this evening and have been okay (touch wood). She thinks I'm prob just very swollen around band and need to take it really easy and drink and eat incredibly slowly. We will see! I can keep liquids down its just some seem to make me nauseous. She told me to call back if it continues.

It's sounds ok if your getting liquids down that's good just go back a stage sloppy liquid foods for a day or so

Hi everyone

Been a bit hit and miss over the last few days.

Had terrible reflux pain yesterday and think I may have identified coffee as the one of the main culprits - I have avoided today and have been alot better although still not reflux free (taken two antacids which is better than normal).

I understand THG no longer do initial fills under x ray and wondered if anyone had needed one, and if so, what they're experience was like of asking? I feel like I would like a fill under x ray as my band seems a little tight/odd and it would be reassuring if nothing else.

Another thing I have realised is that I am actually experiencing restriction, which i didn't identify at first. I know that seems odd with only 3mls - and I could still eat a whole ready meal (probably more) - but I am definitely thinking about food less and reach the point of 'satisfaction' more quickly (not that I ever noticed it before wls - just ate through it!)

The dietician is calling me later this afternoon and i am going to try to push for an xray - I'll let you know how i get on!

xx

Okay...dietician says I'm probably just swollen and/or sensitive to fills and may need a slight defill....she said my symptoms are pretty common when people have been filled at the time of surgery... However she also said reflux isn't something I should need to put up with and needs to be sorted out which I was pleased about. I asked about barium swallow and she said this is something I can book when I see the nurse and that is shouldn't be a problem and will be free. She also advised me to go onto milky liquids for a few days. She said its unlikely I've had a slip and I would know about if I had. So all in all a pretty positive phone call...was looking forward to my fill next week (just out of curiosity really!) but think it will def need to be put off....which is fine as I need to put ny health first. Still losing so no need to rush things anyway.

Back