• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Diet for Gastric Band???

hayley1983

Hello again, so many questions - Sorry! :eek:

When I called to book my consultation for the gastric band with WLSG, the lady I spoke to mentioned the "pre-op diet".

Can anyone tell me what is involved and how long before your surgery date do you start it. Also, do they give you a target weight to lose, and if you don't meet it postpone your surgery? :confused:

Sorry for all the questions tonight :D

xxx

i myself have not been on a op but there are various pre op diets..................milk diet, and very low calorie diet, list could go on and on, each surgeon choose which pre op diet they want you to follow.............am sure someone a little wiser will be along with all the info

ask what ever you want on this site, dont be afraid of asking too many questions as we all here to help in what ever way we can

all the best - mejulie xx

I will be honest I didn't do one, I was private and they never weighed me on the day or mentioned anything to me after surgery with regard to my liver not being shrunk etc.
The reason I never is because I was ill for approx 3 weeks prior to surgery and I lost 10lb...I then put on 4lb the week after I got better as I went away with my sister to a lovely hotel in the lake district for 2 nights, when I came home I was due to have surgery 7 days later and I was just getting used to eating properly after being unwell so thought I will not over indulge but eat what I wanted...hence the cherry crumble and custard the night before surgery!!

Have to say had I been an NHS patient I wouldn't have done it, don't know why.

Good luck I am sure I will get my hands slapped for saying what I have said lol.

Hello again, so many questions - Sorry! :eek:

When I called to book my consultation for the gastric band with WLSG, the lady I spoke to mentioned the "pre-op diet".

Can anyone tell me what is involved and how long before your surgery date do you start it. Also, do they give you a target weight to lose, and if you don't meet it postpone your surgery? :confused:

Sorry for all the questions tonight :D

xxx
i am on pre op diet at min. having 3 slim fasts and a under 200 cal soup plus fruit/veg. I wasnt given a weight loss to do.

Thanks for the info.

I think I could handle a milk diet coz I love the stuff :D

In fact, I think I will be fine because I have always managed to stick to endless diets religiously for 2 weeks then "fall off the wagon" when I get bored :eek:

xxx

Oh the pre-op, such fond memories (not!), my surgeon likes to air on the side of caution with everything - I was on a pre op diet (or liver shrinking diet as it is correctly known) for 4 weeks, that is excessive, most tend to be around the 2 week mark.

The idea of the diet is to shrink the size of your liver prior to surgery. The liver has to be moved during the procedure and as it is a delicate organ can easily be nicked or cut during surgery which can cause bleeding, but shrinking the size of the liver (and thus the weight) the risk of nicking or cutting is greatly reduced.

I had a choice of milk and yoguht or very low cal diet - I mixed the two (not on the same day) and lost almost a stone in weight on the diet :)

Since I made the post saying I'd love the milk diet, I've been thinking about it since and now I feel a bit sick. Mayb I wouldnt like it after all haha :D

pre op diet!

im on the pre op diet at the moment. ive been put on it for 4 (very long weeks) and im on day 3 at the moment... all im aloud to eat a day is 3-4 pints of s.s milk (with no added sugar crusher if i like) , 1 oxo cube in boiling water and 2 pints of no added sugar squash! its really hard and im starving BUT ive lost 6 lbs in 2 days! today is the 3rd day and the hunger isent as bad as it has been. i have 2 loose 5% of my weight and to shrink the liver. 5% is only 1 stone so im doing ok at the min. :D x

Hi

The pre op diet for the WLSG is slim fasts and fruit and veg upto around 1000 calories. I had my band fitted with them and the diet was no problem to stick too, you should be on it for 7 -10 days. As others have said its purpose is to shrink your liver but if you lose weight along the way all the better!

People who havent followed the diet and still have an enlarged liver can be refused surgery.

Good luck on your journey. You will be fine on the pre op x

The diet aims to reduce the size of your liver. The liver sits on top of your stomach where the operation will be performed, it is therefore important to reduce its size to get better access to your stomach.

I was called in a week early for my operation and was only able to do the pre op diet for 9 days, I did the fish and green veg diet and lost 10lbs. They say it should be about 1000 calories per day.

Hi Haley, I had to do 3 pints of milk and 2 yoghurts a day. All hospitals differ in which pre op diet they like you to do so it could be anyone of them. Good luck with which ever one you have to do.

Its just the slim fast and fruit and veg diet with the WLSG (who Hayley is going with and I went with) no matter which hospital you have your op at.

Not to bad really as at least you are eating something.

The milk diet obviously works but sounds very harsh :(

Yeah Hayley it is usually a 5% loss of body weight they are looking for and of course as others have said to shrink the liver back/
Good luck to you
Jay xx

Jay

Hayleys provider for her band (was mine too) will not be expecting a 5% loss of body weight, just a shrunken liver. Any losses are a bonus :)

I didnt lose any weight on the pre op (slim fasts fruit & veg) but my liver was fine.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Back