• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

vitamins - again sorry being a donut

starry

Hi all,

Right - I know I need a multi vitamin/mineral like forceval.

But do you need also calcium citrate, iron and B12 ?? - ideally

What about magnesium and zinc ??

regimes and best buys would be great

xxx

Forceval are available on prescription only, and advocated by a lot of surgeons. They have a higher concentration of vitamins and minerals than OTC ones, and are easily broken down by the new pouch and intestines as they are a gelcap instead of a tablet.

On top of that, you'll need Calcium, Iron and B12 injections. Again, all available on prescription. If you start to suffer with hair loss, add selenium and zinc.

HI
Thanks guys
shel - why B12 injections not a tablet ??

xx

Because the bypassed intestine can't absorb B12.

A woman I work across the corridor from has the bypass about 8 years ago and she recommended I get multi-bionta, which I have. Then I found out there's about a million-and-one different varieties lol.

I get everything I need off my GP, I get forceval, calcium, selenium, antacids and iron but I dont take the iron. I will get tested at regular intervals to see if my iron drops and for my vit B12 levels....xx

lol - sorry about that I did think that as I hit enter - do they do sugar free donuts !!!!

All surgeons are different and not all say that you have to have B12 injections. Where I had my surgery you only get them if you need them after having a blood test. As it happens I need them but not everyone does.

You may not need to take antacids either, my surgeon only prescribes them for 6 weeks after surgery, he says they are not necessary after that.

You may not need to take extra Iron either. I have had two blood tests in the last couple of months and my iron levels are fine.

I have read that Forceval is going to be withdrawn from production so all of us on it will need to find an alternative, if the information on the WLS forum is correct.

I take 2 calcium D3 tablets a day and 1 Forceval.

Back