• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

waiting for assessment for nhs op

Heayes

I finally asked my GP to refer me for gastric band surgery, as I gave up trying to fund it myself - can't get credit. I got a copy letter from Dorset Healthcare to my GP asking why I would benefit from the surgery more than someone else in my position. Thats a difficult one!! I wrote to my GP with some thoughts and I have now received another copy letter in the post saying that I met Nice guidelines for level 2 and would be referred for an assessment with the consultant at Bournemouth Hospital. I am not sure if this is a hopeful sign or not. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the assessment so that I can prepare myself? Has anyone been to Bournemouth Hosp and knows what the waiting list times are like?

June

Hi June, can't answer your question but someone will be along soon who can. Can't imagine why they would refer you for an assessment though, unless your funding was in place, so that is a very good sign you are on your way to an op. Good Luck, honey xxx :):)

Hi June , I am in Bournemouth , am pre op. So far i have had a letter approving my funding , but I know Dawn from here didn't get that letter . Basically if you get an appointment with the consultant you have funding .
My appointment is on the 15th when I will meet consultant & dietician , then if they approve me get put on the waiting list , which I believe is 4-5 months .
I think I will see the dietician again before op too
Good luck xx

Meant to say also there is a support group on first Mon of the month at Holes Bay travelodge 7pm

Hi June,
Welcome on board :)
Bournemouth is a law unto themselves, there does not seem to be a set way with them!!
Im wondering if you will see the dietician or even Mr Davies and they will assess if they will put you forward ? My BMI was so high it was do not pass go, get funding instantly !!!!
Come along to the meet and have a chat its very informal and we just chat have a coffee or a drink, head for table 27 :) If you need a lift and i can help just shout.

At the assesment you see the nurse who goes through your form (sent with your appointment). She will talk about the 3 kinds of operation they do, bypass, band and sleeve, you have to decide which you want to go for so do some research,she reports back to consultant then you see the consultant who has a chat he may ask you to lose some weight pre op there is a 4-5 month wait. You then go for your pre op assesment, ecg, mrsa swabs, blood tests and fill a admissions form with another nurse, you will then get an appointment to see the dietician which is about 2-3 months after first appointment (you will have a 3 day diet sheet to fill in to take with you).
Hope that helps xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn and Cheryl. The letter said that the appt would be with Mr Lewis and funding would be given pending the results of his assessment. My BMI is 51. I would love to come to the holes bay travelodge to meet people - thats this monday 5th right? it this the same as the travel inn at holes bay?

Its the one with a lighthouse shaped building and its having building work done on it, if you drive down the holes bay road with the sea on your right side its on the left about halfway down you turn off the main road and the car park is on the left side :)
here is a link...
http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/POOHOL/poole-centre-holes-bay

Last edited:
was nice to meet you June, hope you have a better idea of it all now :)

Thank You. It was great to meet everyone and hear their stories. Look forward to coming again. I am continuing to read up about all methods at the moment until my assessment comes through.

Keeping it all crossed that you get a yes.
Make sure you have it in your mind what you want as Penny wavied between sleeve and bypass and had to fight very hard to get her op, so loads of research :)
See you next month and hope you have some good news xxxxx

Back