• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

waiting times? just had GP referral :-)

sunbeam77

HI there, I am new to the site.

I have recently been referred by my GP and am wondering what the process is now. I see that things tend to be different in every area. does every person have to do tier 3?

any experiences would be great and would love to hear from anyone in the Colchester/Essex area re times from gp referral to surgery? xxx

Hi sunbeam
Congrats on getting a referral .. No idea what happenes after this I'm afraid as I had to self fund , but someone will pop along with info for you I'm sure :)
When you first approached the doctor did you get a slimmers world referall and some of those fat loss pills ? Or did you get a straight referall to the weight loss team ?
The reason I'm asking is because my daughter has just begun her journey with the NHS and with a BMI of over 55 I would have thought she would have gone straight to the weight loss team ..
Xxxx

Hi, am not in Essex, on London/Essex border and was referred to a London hospital - the Whitt. When I spoke to my GP was at the end of my tether about the weight loss so she referred me straight to the hospital and also to the eating disorders team (via psychological therapies) and that saved time actually because the hospital consultant felt I was getting help and put me on tier 3 for 6 months. However, from reading the posts on here, I don't think everyone has to do tier 3 - see my signature for what I went through...:)

I did tier 3 for 18 months after years of trying diet groups and pills. Mine took so long because the provider changed part way through.
In the north it seems to be you can do tier 3 after you have proved you've tried more conventional means to lose weight and it should take around a year or 6 months if your BMI is over 50. But there really is no hard and fast rules. I'm still shocked @countrywench s daughter hasn't been put into the 6 months pathway tbh but I guess the GPS have to follow the rules :(

hello and thank you for your replies. I initially wrote a letter to my GP as I knew I wouldn't manage to get all my point across in a consultation. he was amazing, said was happy t refer me, felt I was an ideal candidate. I have been on slimming world and shown that I had been trying to lose weight so think this is why I skipped tier 2.
my BMI is abut 46. I have no idea what happens now but think I will go in at tier 3. I am in Colchester Essex.
I can not believe that your daughter has not been referred straight in as her BMI is >50 :(

I have to admit I am concerned about the 12-18 month wait and am considering going private with the hospital group in Cambridge. this would be on a finance plan. I wanted the sleeve but can only afford the band.

fingers crossed, am loving reading all your posts! x

It is a long journey and at the start if someone would have told me 20 plus months maybe I would have given up. But having now just got my surgery date I am mentally prepared and know I have really thought things through. It didnt seem that long and the little mini steps along the way keep you motivated. good luck whichever route you go down x

Back