• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie from Yorkshire

SAM55

New in North Yorkshire

Hi. I found this site by chance when Googling local hospitals for WLS. I went to see my GP today to find out if I was eligible to be referred for WLS, and I am. She was unsure if it would be Leeds or Bradford so I am looking to find people who have experiences at either please.

I have no idea how long the referral process takes.

I have read up quite a lot recently on the different procedures and keen to hear from anyone about their different experiences, and why the chose/were given that particular one.

Hi Sam..i went private at the yorkshire clinic so cant advise about the nhs route..but good luck and welcome

Hi Sam, I'm in N Yorks too (Harrogate). It will be Leeds if you go down the NHS route as Bradford doesn't do weight loss surgery (as far as I know!). First step will be 'tier 3' support from the dietician and docs who will assess and advise - you'll probably have to go through Tier 3 treatment for about 12 mths first to see if you can lose some weight with support + then considered for surgery. I'm still waiting for my date - due to cancellations, but likely to be end of Jan.
PM me if you want more details - happy to help. Good luck!

Hello Sam, I had my bypass on the NHS this past sept 2014 .it took me around 18 months from seeing my GP to getting on the operating table.i understand each PCT works differently so I cant give you a length of time
I wish you lots of luck in getting whatever you wish for

Hi. I registered in January 2015 when I went to see my GP to ask for a referral for Gastric Surgery. The Assessment journey has been long, but I finally received my letter yesterday confirming I can have the surgery, so decided it was time to start making connections with others on this Forum with the aim of finding mutual support. I didn't want to tempt providence by going public until I knew it was going to happen!

I am particularly interested in hearing from others in the Yorkshire area who have undergone surgery at St James's in Leeds, and particularly those who have had the Gastric Sleeve, but happy to chat with anyone.

To tell you more about me. I am female and 60 and have had weight problems all my life, but they have got worse in the past 5 years as arthritis has spread and I have become a lot less mobile. Currently around 23 stone, and I managed to get 2 stone off since asking for referral 14 months ago.

My motivation to put myself through this now is to lose 10 stone so I can be allowed a full knee replacement so I can walk more than 10 yards unaided.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Hello and welcome!
I wish you all the best in all you ask for

Thanks Niccie. That is good to know. Have just been watching a video of how it is done and feel less anxious about it now (well for tonight anyway:p)

Welcome, I wish you good luck and good health. X

Hi Sam,
Best of luck with everything!

Hi Sam, I'm born and bred in Leeds but unfortunately wasn't able to get referred for surgery by my GP so had to go private. Just wanted to wish you all the best x

I have full sympathy with you .
25 stone , 5.9 tall and in need of full knee replacement, both knees ..
Pain has now forced me into weight loss surgery as I am fast becoming fully disabled , I use a mobility scooter as I cannot , like you , walk very far .
I am having a gastric band though so a little different .
I go into surgery on the 5th April and I cannot wait ..
Good luck to you
Xxx

Hi Sam, I'm born and bred in Leeds but unfortunately wasn't able to get referred for surgery by my GP so had to go private. Just wanted to wish you all the best x
Hi Neticak. Have you attended any support groups in Leeds please? I live 40 miles away so cannot decide if the journey would be worth it?

Congratulations on your significant weight loss so far. What procedure have you had?

Thank you Country Wench. You have my sympathy too. Good luck with your surgery on April 5th and I look forward to reading your diary.

I probably won't get mine until about July. :(

Not in Yorkshire but wishing you all the best on the wls journey.

Hey Sam,

I haven't joined any support groups but I read somewhere that they hold one at Weetwood hall every few months. Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

As you've been referred by your GP could they recommend some for you?

X

I had a gastric band performed by James Halstead.. Who are you with? X

Hey Sam,

I haven't joined any support groups but I read somewhere that they hold one at Weetwood hall every few months. Where abouts in Yorkshire are you?

As you've been referred by your GP could they recommend some for you?

X
Hi Neticak.

How you doing?

I don't know who my surgeon is yet. I saw a Mr Mehta but didn't get the impression he did sleeves. Yes, I was told about the support group you mention, 2nd Monday evening of the month, but I am 40 miles away, up in the Dales. I was told it is the nearest. We don't even have a diabetes support group where I live. Having a WLS one would be like wanting the moon!

Back