• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

wanting moral support

lyturt

I had my gastric bypass on may 8th 2013 after having a terribletime with gastric band. cannot work out if i am eating too much or too little i never seem to feel full and am constantly thinking about food. i have half an oatibix with milk a piece of fruit midmorning. half a tin of soup with a slice of ham or chicken for lunch or 1 eggscrambled and half a slice of toast. a yogurt or milkshake mid afternoon. 2ounces of lean meat or fish a very small new potato selection of veg finally cup of warm milk before bed. any suggestions please. i have lostnearly 2 stone and have 5 more to loose. i walk for at least 45 mins everyday thanks

I had my gastric bypass on may 8th 2013 after having a terribletime with gastric band. cannot work out if i am eating too much or too little i never seem to feel full and am constantly thinking about food. i have half an oatibix with milk a piece of fruit midmorning. half a tin of soup with a slice of ham or chicken for lunch or 1 eggscrambled and half a slice of toast. a yogurt or milkshake mid afternoon. 2ounces of lean meat or fish a very small new potato selection of veg finally cup of warm milk before bed. any suggestions please. i have lostnearly 2 stone and have 5 more to loose. i walk for at least 45 mins everyday thanks

I'm sorry I'm a sleever so I don't know, hopefully a bypasser will be along soon :)

Hiya,
As far out as you are you should be feeling some restriction, but what you've written is probably less than what I would have eaten at the time. Our capacities can and do vary - I know some people who can eat much less than me and a few who can eat more.

I would perhaps think about whether you need to increase protein in your meals if you're getting hungry - if its head hunger that's a different thing - and much harder to deal with.

i can't help either as I'm a bander but wanted to say welcome :)

Hi and welcome.

So that makes you about 6 weeks post op? I remember sitting in the dieticians room at my 6 week appointment and being told I wasn't eating enough and to up my protein & in view of the fact you are walking each day there is the additional need.

My favourite fallback are Babybel cheeses. Easy to carry for snacks, easy to chew down and contain protein and calcium. They are also a handy fall back if I've had a meal and genuinely still feel a little peckish.

I'm no expert but my impression is that sadly head hunger is a genuine thing that lots of people get (touch wood, I haven't and know I'm lucky!!) and have to fight to beat it. IS there anything you can do to distract your mind? Do you do any craft activities which would occupy your hands? As I say, I'm no expert whatsoever so may be talking tosh!!

I'm at 5.5 weeks and am now on breakfast is 4 teaspoons each of fat free yoghurt and sugar free rhubarb. I then have a large latte sometime in the morning (aka pint of skimmed milk) and then over the course if the rest of the day will have about another pint of skimmed milk. Will try to get a bottle of water (NAS) in during the day. Am walking (fast) for 90 minutes a day. I push myself seriously hard to do this (I am a gym bunny but can't go back to I get the all clear)

Have given up on trying to eat 3 meals a day, just can't be bothered, despite agreeing with the dietician that I would try. The less goes in, maybe the less being sick (saliva), or feeling sick I will get the other 23 hours a day is my theory. The saliva isn't related to eating I have worked out.

It's early days :cry:

I'm not a bypasser but cereal and soup are sliders. Try dense protein like chicken and keep your carbs down. I have total yogurt, fruit and a bit of granola every work day for breakfast and love it.

I also recommend my fitness pal, it's a really easy way of tracking what you're eating, cals and protein.

Thank you all for your replies will take suggestions on board and report back with my progress soon

I had my bypass in August 2012 and too be honest I have never felt full, no matter what I eat.
I still struggle with bread and dense foods like dry chicken, but I can eat everything. I don't dump at all ( I have tried most things)
The trick I use is to count calories, so I know exactly what I'm having as well as using the same small plate for meal times. I think you will gradually know what suits you, but try and eat as slow as you can and don't push yourself. You don't need to have a full feeling.
It does get easier, I promise x

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your bypass! My sister had bypass and that was 7 years ago and still can't eat much. I am sure you will be fine it just takes time to get used to your new tool. I had sleeve so I can't help you with some of your questions but I can recommend trying to eat the dense proteins as recommended by another poster. That always keeps me full longest.

Just to update still finding my way but am happy that i am able to enjoy my food and trying to have a balanced diet. just bought fat carb and calorie counter book so going to give. it a go. havenot lost any weight in 2 weeks which is disappointing but i have my first follow up appointment on july 24th so will discuss my concerns then

Back