• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Warfarin

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
I have to take warfarin for life as I have had a DVT, but oddly enough I get my blood checked once a month and for the past 8 months its been stable with a ready anywhere between 2-3 which is the ideal reading, but today its ready 5.9.

Which is seriously high, basically it means if i cut myself, I could literally bleed to death if its not treated quickly as it will take my blood longer to coagulate.

Anyway the question is, does anyone know if losing weight will affect my warfarin level?

Dont know if it will affect the warfarin level but the chances of you having another DVT should drop dramatically xx

Hi,

I am not sure, but i would have a chat with your GP about your results asap. A lower fat and healthier diet will reduce all the furing up of your arteries and drop your blood pressure to a normal level if it was higher, but your clotting factor is to do with the viscosity (stickyness) of your blood and not sure how weight loss/healthier lifstyle can change that? But def see your GP.

PG I take life long warfarin andI have had 4 dvts and a pe in the past. Losing weight does effect your INR, the smaller you get the less warfarin you need and whilst it is the at the high end of INR you need your warfarin reduced and checks every couple of days until it gets below 3 if your at 2-3 then they will put you back to weekly checks until it stabilises again. I was also a nurse before I had to give up work with arthritis. You need to see your GP and get it sorted. Janice x

Thanks everyone. yeah I have been told not to take any medication for 2 days then got to go back to my doctors on wednesday for another blood check to get my INR checked again.

Oh the fun of having a DVT and losing weight lol

I don't know about weight loss and your INR but my dad has these sudden turns in his levels to frightening degrees and whilst he isn't thin he's not as fat as he was prior to his heart surgery 14yrs ago when he had a quadruple bypass and new valve fitted.
When his results go haywire he has to stop the meds or change to dose depending which way it goes haywire and have even more tests to try and get the levl back to normal again. I donlt envy you the juggling you have to do it drives dad and mum mad keeping him on an even keel.
Best of luck and hope you surgery can help you get back to your normal levels asap.

I don't know Gary..but didn't want to read and run..I am sure the surgeon will discuss this with you ..roll on the 2nd huh ???

Back