• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waterworks post-op?

Sarah Metcalf

Hi I've a wee (literally) question for you.

I'm just over a week post op and have noticed that since the op I never feel like I need to pee! This morning I thought I'd test it, I had a coffee followed by a glass of OJ, pre-op I'd have been to the toilet twice, however this morning I felt nothing (I went anyway and passed urine ok). I am making sure I go every couple of hours to avoid an infection and trying to drink plenty.

I'm wondering if this is a result of the anaesthetic and if anyone has had this problem?

I suspect you are still on liquids? Are you "eating" soups? Maybe you should check the salt content as sodium can cause fluid retention. Just a thought. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure it will sort itself out. xx

It could be to do with the anaesthetic and if so will wear off. BUT as my dietician pointed out, we get about 50% + of our fluid requirements from our food....so as we're eating so much less, te amount of fluid we're taking in is also drastically reduced. This is a major reason why we need to drink a minimum of 2 litres per day.

Is your wee dark? It should be pale. If it's dark, it's a sign you're dehydrated. Try not to drink to much tea and coffee as they're natural diuretics (makes you wee!)

Focus on water, fruit teas, NAS squashes, milk etc.

I had a huge problem with this after my second op. It was partially due to anaesthetic and partially due to not drinking enough. Not drinking enough will also lead to constipation.
Grace xxx

Thanks for replying Grace, I'd been struggling with fluids shortly after surgery but have made a concentrated effort to drink more over the last 2 days. I'll check my 'colour' next time I go.

I love this site and the fact I can ask anything and know that someone will be able to answer me, love you guys (and gals) xx

Sarah I still struggle to get enough fluids in. But it's important, especially as drinking enough aids weight loss. It gets easier honey.
Grace xxx

Hi Sarah i went quite a lot after op but it has slowed down now, i can even go all night with out getting out of bed, its great, i use to go quite a few times, i love this op Wee and all x

I dont go half as much as I used to, I think the extra weight was on my bladder as I was always on the loo.... I struggle with fluids but I always check my urine colour and if its dark I drink more. :D XX

Back