• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

17days post op slowly gaining weight :(

Could some experienced banders please advise me?
I have rough start post op and needed fluid removing from band as a result Pre op and post op I lost 26 lbs.. Over the last 7 or 8 days I have gained 4 lbs. I am terrified of putting weight back on again as I am desperate to lose this excess fat.
Is it normal to gain weight before first fill (30 Aug) ?? Am trying to make really good choices using my fitness pal etc. Not helped by being veggie possibly as I don't eat meat so protein isn't that high.
Is the protein intake essential to success of band? If so I have got into 5k of debt for nothing ;( because can't eat meat :( ..,, feel bit like am going crazy and I am one person who will fail :(
I have a 10 ml band with 0.5 in there as the 4 ml he put in during banding meant I couldn't get water down.

Hiya, you had a really rough start and quick weight loss that probably as much to do with dehydration as losing body mass. You are probably just catching up on body repair and becoming your healthy self. In terms of diet, and especially getting required protein (provided you are not vegan) is Total fat free Greek yoghurt - 10g of protein per 100g and only 57 kcal. I blend mine with strawberries or raspberries + milk (I'm still liquids). There is also a thread on here about protein water, 41g in one drink, not sure if suitable for vegetarians but may give you an early protein boost if you need one. Don't panic, stick with it and it will come good. I mentioned to Locerz in earlier post, I'm a tortoise and not a hare so are trying to take a patient approach (something that is not my forte!!!). Tracey xxx

Ps just noticed you wanted experienced Banders, which I am not, but hopefully useful all the same!

Don't worry about weight gain to much at this stage , I'm a very very inpatient person and want everything now now now, but I have learnt from this website that sometimes our bodies just need time to catch up I lost 6 pounds last week yet this week even thou I've had my protein had under my calories every day I've been losing and gaining 0.8 of a pound for the last few days but I'm not stressing it will come off , and I'm 3 months post off also I used too come on here and there where lots of ppl who had there op after me and had lost lots more then me which at times made me wanna cry, but remember it your journey and your doing it for you , I know how frustrating it can be when your sticking too the book and the scales are going up , but you have the rest of your life too lose the weight , don't get put off over today/ this week , wishing you the best of luck on your journey xxx

Thank you for replies girls.... I have failed at every diet I have ever done and have a crippling fear of needles so am completely desperate for this to work ... Failure is not an option and I guess I have been spoilt to have good weight loss to start with, I just don't want the same pattern of losing 1 or 2 stone then stand still..... Over the years have lost and gained the same 2.5 stone over and over and over and over again!! As you say it's not a race but I do want it yesterday! X

Hi

I dont eat meat either but at 17 days post op no one does. When you are back to 'normal' food it will be easier to get protein into your diet.

Do you eat quorn, tofu, eggs, low fat cheese for instance?

Hi Mazza
I do eat quorn and lowfat cheese I guess I am just stressing because of no weight loss :( I know I am being impatient and I know it won't happen overnight ..... Think I am just panicking
Mx

HI Queenofbelfast, Dont worry it happens. Week 2 post op gained 1lb, week 4 gained 3. But as you can see below it is an ongoing process. I like you was really frustrated and angry but I had to recognise my body is still adjusting, not only to a new band but to having had surgery too.
I know how low it feels and I have done a total flip and feel so positive now. Not because I have lost that 3lbs again but because I have come to realise it is a marathon not a sprint and slow and steady wins the race. As long as you are doing all the right things then it will come off.
It is a struggle to adapt it is not quick fix as one might think, there are lost of obsticals along the way.
Take for instance today I went to get my first fill and was injected 8 times!! And they could not locate my port and I had to leave the clinic with the empty band I arrived with. Dont get me wrong I was really frustrated and could have easily murdered a Haagen Daz but no, that is not the answer. I have to wait to get an xray fill, when yet I have still to be confirmed but I am still plodding along sticking to everything I am supposed to and not letting this set back (ha!) get me down. Dont you let this 4lbs get you down either. It would be wonderful if the band gave us big losses week in week out or even moderate to modest ones but the band is only part of the solution and your mind is the other.
I hope you feel real better real soon.

Bella x

Hi Hun, I feel exactly the same as you!!!! It really is disheartening isn't it?? I'm just hoping that when I get my first fill things will improve???? I feel as though I could eat absolutely anything and everything!!!!!! xxx

Back