• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Week 7 post op food.

steevee

Hi all, I just joined this forum. So, hoping someone can maybe tell me if what I'm feeling is normal. I can't stomach anything that isn't soup or stew !!
I can't eat meat, fish or chicken but find that I can eat things like stews and soups. No matter how much I chew something I just want to bring it up after a few mouthfuls.
I'm finding it hard to drink plenty of water, it's not that I can't do it, I just don't want it.
I've been toying with the idea of getting some protein shakes but have also read that it's widely acceptable in America but not here in the UK. I'm now also suffering with the dreaded low blood pressure. (Fainting when standing up)
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve xx

Hi Steve, No words of wisdom, I'm afraid as I'm only 4 weeks out and just starting purees today. I know what you mean about drinking though, it's a constant effort.
I have read that the giddiness can be due to dehydration, as well as postural hypo tension, so you need to keep getting those liquids in.
I know lots of people have trouble with any kind of meat and so other sources of protein are recommended such a quorn, fish ,pulses and quinoa.
Also just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site. Someone with ore experience will be along to advise you better soon.
x

i buy the protein shots and dilute then with my my daily water intake,,you must sip sip sip and sip again water intake is soooo important eventually you will be able to eat normally but some foods like chicken and beef some people cant tolerate as long as your healthy and your team are happy with you thats the main thing ,, after all you are only 7 weeks from a major op so take it easy xxxx

hiya,

what are you eating on a daily basis? eg types of food and what stage are you? are you on mushy foods or solids now?

Keep going on the mushy food or soups till you feel you can go to the next stage. Once you feel better, energy etc...you may feel like more items.

Find what works for you... if that is protein drinks etc go for it. We are all on our own journey.

Try and not judge your progress by others, i've been making that mistake and nearly made myself ill. Read about people doing 10 mile bike rides, 6 weeks post op. Completed 4 miles and my insides hurt like h***!
Welcome to the site.

I am also week 7 but last 2 weeks I have struggled with solid food, so went back to soups/mush. I saw my surgeon last week for a check up and he wanted me back on solid food straight away. The reason being the joins inside can form too much scar tissue and cause a narrowing of the opening. If this was happening he wanted to know about it sooner rather than later. This can easily be fixed by strectching the area with a balloon via and endoscopy. Thankfully I seem to have turned a corner and am managing ok on solids now. I would recommend speaking to your team as it sounds like you are dehydrated too. Good Luck, hope your feeling better soon x

Why is it that the UK isn't about protein shakes?? In the U.S. they want you to get most of your protein from food when you are able to. But til then they want you to be drinking your protein drinks. They recommend 60-70 grams a day for a woman.. and more for men. This women who had that bypass that was in our weight loss group actually just passed away from lack of protein. Her body starting eating her muscles which was her heart.. and she died. So protein is EXTREMELY important. If you can't eat your protein then you should be finding any way to get it into your system somehow. There are so many great protein shakes out there.. you should really look into it.

I agree about the protein shakes. I have started taking a totally delicious low carb protein shake that actually also contains all the vitamins and minerals that the body needs and only 1g carbohydrate and 40g protein. They recommend two shakes a day, one before bed. It is the USN Pure Protein IGF-1 which I buy from Amazon. It works out at £1 per serving which is much cheaper than Slimfast (ick). Currently on offer. I took the information from the tub to my dietician and she was pleased to let me continue with it both pre and post op so I am very happy I won't be having to down huge tablets. The only nutrient that it doesn't have sufficient of is some of the B vitamins and Zinc so I take a tiny B vitamin complex and a Vitamin C and Zinc tablet (also very small) daily.

I tried the Bassetts multivitamin tablets too and they taste divine, however I was terrified that I might swallow them whole (I currently have a band) and there is no protein so prefer the double whammy of the shakes. Hope this helps :)

Back