• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Week one post Sleeve

Hi fellow sleevers! My name is Caroline and I was scheduled for a Bypass on Monday. Few issues and so I now have a sleeve which was a shock but so far I'm actually thinking was a better option for me. Had a rough start to week with a few complications but today...one week later I'm moving forward nicely. I had been putting threads in bypass section so wanted to come meet some more of my Sleeve family. I may have spoken to some of you already!

Journey so far

1st Seminar was beginning September - weight was 25st 7lbs. (0lbs loss)

Pre- op assessment was feb 12th - weight was 23st (35 lbs loss)

Morning of operation was Monday 4th March - weight was 22st 1lbs (loss 13lbs)

Week 1 post op loss 9lbs - current weight 21st 6lbs so total loss 56lbs - YIPEEE!!!!!! Very happy with this for week 1.

I also worked out this morning I'm exactly 300lbs so one more and I have reached the first milestone of hitting 200's! Next stop WONDERLAND! I'm also down from a 24 bottom to a 20 in some things 22 in others and from a size 24 on top to a 20.

For anyone reading this who is thinking about surgery and wondering if they should...well I'm a 31 year old girl who far the past 5 years has not been living! Just existing. Trapped by my own body and mind. I won't lie, it is in parts stressful as a journey but also exciting. I was unlucky and had some small issues and 1st thing I though beginning of week was 'oh my god what have I done'. There is pain involved and discomfort. I went to the loo for the first time yesterday post op and though the world was falling out my backside it was so horrendous (lol...today I feel much relief though. Another thing hey don't tell us ladies which really freaked me out is that you can start bleeding or 'spotting'. It has never ever happened to me before but spoke to some wonderful ladies on forum and is common. Fat cells hold oestrogen...when your body breaks down fat cells its released...body goes bonkers! BUT!!!!! Even 1 week out and despite these obstacles we have to overcome I am 100% glad I have done it. I'm already 4stone lighter and seeing changes. I did that...me! And now I have tool to help me do what I couldn't before and that's keep going. The Bariatric team at North Tees are amazing people and I thank them for looking after me so well. There will be more challenges ahead I'm sure but I'm ready now. Thank you for letting me waffle...lol. Good luck and much love to you all xxxx

Soon2bSlim:)

Wow, well done on such an amazing weight loss! I will be one week post op tomorrow and we have the same current weight! Good luck for the rest of your journey. Gemma x

sarahloveswelshcobs

Congrats. It's a huge relief to be on the other side.

I had a wrap on Friday and in the main feeling fine. I'm going to phone the team this am though as been really sick last 24 hours. Other than that - doing good and no regrets :)

Beth72

Congrats Caroline on being a post op now! Thanks also for your warts & all account of the sleeve - mainly tend to hear the good things, so you've enlightened me to some of the issues that can occur re bleeding etc. Were you on hospital longer than 2 nights? Your weight loss is great too & guess that outweighs the negatives.

I'm due to have a sleeve privately early next month & this forum is just fab for info & encouragement. Only yesterday I tried to tell my mother about surgery & she laid on the guilt to me ie what will happen to my children if something goes wrong etc etc.

Has it been painful since the sleeve? You mentioned complications - was it only the spotting & bowel movements?

Onwards & upwards (or downwards on the scales) !! :)

Samsara

Thank you for sharing and good luck on your onward journey :) I hope to be joining you in the not too distant future x x

Hi Beth 72. I went in on Monday and they let me out Wednesday evening. I was scheduled for a bypass originally but when they started the op there were a few problems. I'd lost nearly 3 1/2 stone, a stone of which was on the liver shrinking diet that is did religiously for 2 weeks. Anyway, when they got in my Liver seemed still abnormally large and so did my spleen. The head surgeon was called and the decided it wasn't safe to do bypass. I was under for two hours longer than normal, lost a bit of blood apparently and then when I came around they couldn't slow heart down. Nothing too serious but was left feeling very ill. There is pain - they cut through muscle walls and your stomach so likely to hurt but pain medication takes most of it away and a lot of it is wind!!! It's all bearable so don't let it put you off hun. It's surprising how quickly your body starts to cope. I have to go for a CT scan in 5 weeks to see what is going on with liver. Good luck with everything and keeps us posted xxx

Thank you for other lovely comments. I think it's important you get all sides of the story xxx

tealovingsleever

Welcome to the wonderful world of the sleeve. I'm sure you'll love it and if I can help with anything just shout x

tealovingsleever

I found toilet problems much less of a problem as my portions increased. Now I just take a dulcoease if I haven't been for a few days. Dulcolax gives me diahroeah.

As for dumping, I've had it a few times in the early days and now not so much but a lot of sugar makes me feel very strange!

JoJoTGirl

Hi Caroline. Congrats on getting to the other side. I'm 6.5 weeks post sleeve and although I didn't have any medical complications, like you I didn't find it all pain free and plain sailing. Had the hideous toilet stage and spotting too. I also felt very, very sick and was kept in hospital an extra night (3 nights) after a bit of a reaction to a drug they gave me but that's all a dim and distant memory now. I am through the pure stage and am eating little amounts of all sorts of real food. Introducing more each day. I haven't had any nausea or sickness since leaving hospital (except thanks to forceval vitamins - don't get tealoving sleever and I started on that! lol) but I've given them up in favour of over the counter sanatogen or centrum and am back to no problems. I had my 6 week check up on Thursday last and my surgeon was delighted with my progress and so am I. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep in touch. : )

Hi Caroline. Congrats on getting to the other side. I'm 6.5 weeks post sleeve and although I didn't have any medical complications, like you I didn't find it all pain free and plain sailing. Had the hideous toilet stage and spotting too. I also felt very, very sick and was kept in hospital an extra night (3 nights) after a bit of a reaction to a drug they gave me but that's all a dim and distant memory now. I am through the pure stage and am eating little amounts of all sorts of real food. Introducing more each day. I haven't had any nausea or sickness since leaving hospital (except thanks to forceval vitamins - don't get tealoving sleever and I started on that! lol) but I've given them up in favour of over the counter sanatogen or centrum and am back to no problems. I had my 6 week check up on Thursday last and my surgeon was delighted with my progress and so am I. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep in touch. : )

Thank you for this lovely message JoJo. It's good to know I have people who have been through the same. Feeling much better today after a bad day yesterday. Think I may have dumped and was made worse by already being a bit bunged up if you catch my drift. Looking forward to getting to 6 weeks so I can start eating normal food. What sorts of things have you been eating? Can you eat bread ok? Xxx

chrisa

wELL DONE caroline you are going great guns so proud of ya to think now bout that little hickup few month sback it was all worth while was it not? am sure it was your life is yours to make of it what you can with the tool you have been given. xx

Vikz

Thank you for this lovely message JoJo. It's good to know I have people who have been through the same. Feeling much better today after a bad day yesterday. Think I may have dumped and was made worse by already being a bit bunged up if you catch my drift. Looking forward to getting to 6 weeks so I can start eating normal food. What sorts of things have you been eating? Can you eat bread ok? Xxx

You have done fantastic... how long did you have to wait before you started to exercise?
I am due my op in 3 months and therefore do much time to think and ponder...

Look forward to hearing from you
Vicki