• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight Gain Before Endoscopy??

laurajlucy

:confused::confused: I have gained weight since seeing the surgeon and Iam worried that I need to lose it again before my endoscopy?? I have still got a loss above the intial target set, but have gained from what I was when I saw Mr. Mahawar in June> Do I need to worry about this causing any set back??? xx:confused::confused:

Dr. Small told me if i put on it could hold me back, i know its very naughty but maybe go on the cambridge a few days before you go in. the nurse at the hospital told me they would put you back if you gain at anytime but she might just be saying that to keep you on the right path. im sure theres loads of people on here that can tell you. good luck xxx

awwwww ive just read that again, yeah if you have lost over ya target you might be ok. well done on your loss. xx

hi i gained b4 my endoscopy and i was still ok but evey were seems to be diffrent, i was lucky they still did my opp even tho i had gained b4 it.

I hate to tell you but they do put you back in Sunderland if you gain weight at any appointment.. I gained at endoscopy but had really good reasons for this.. 3 month in hospital with gallbladder problems and had to have 3 x surgery to remove it.. I gained 3 kg.. I was told to lose it again before op which I did.. But believe if I hadn't had gallbladder problems & support from surgeon at QE I must certainly would have been put back.. As it was.. I was put back because of gallbladder problems they wanted it removed and sorted before they would touch me! When I got into hospital they had refused a woman opposite cos her blood showed problems with her kidneys! So they are strict but they have their reasons it's a high risk op and they want it to go well for YOU! Once everything is right.. I couldn't fault staff care and even the care of my surgeon Mr Mawarah.. I am nearly 10 weeks post op with no problems what so ever.. Just remember they have your health as priority.. So if you have gained more than 2 kg get it off ASAP.. Hope all goes well, sorry if I sound a bit doom and gloom but through personal experience Sunderland would rather put you back rather than take a risk, at the same time they are straight with you and understanding.. xx

Hi,

I weighed differently on all the scales in sunderland from first apot right up until morning of surgery!!! as long as you have achieved your target Mr Small was fine, and mr mawaha was fine with it. i did have a panic as the endoscopy scales were 4kg lighter than the electronic ones at the surgeons apt.... the nurse said lots of people said this so they went on the target loss...

Sunderland are very strict however and there was a lady who was cancelled at her pre op for gaining which meant her target was not achieved.....

try not to worry about it - and try and shift it before ya endscopy xxx

I am not as far on as you in the process, but I know SRH are really strict. I know of someone who was admitted for surgery and waiting to go down, only to be sent home for not sticking to the pre-op diet.....!
Did you see Mr. Mahawar in June to be put on the waiting list for endoscopy?
And have you got an appointment for your endoscopy?
Good luck with shifting the extra weight.

Thank you all. I know deep down that i have to lose it again, just needed to hear it haha!! My target was 8lb and I had lost 22lb when I saw surgeon. I now have only a 13lb loss to my name.
I have not had an appointment through for the endoscopy as yet but have spoken to the unit who tell me I should hear in the next 3 weeks xxx

when i had my endoscopy the scales showed i had gained 1kg . i was lucky when i had goal target from nurse i managed to lose 15kg so i was well over the 5kg set target so doctor told me MAKE SURE U DO NOT GAIN in a firm voice lol.so i would try and do something before you get appointment incase its short notice. you wouldnt want to lose the chance of a lifetime .. hope u get it off b4 u go. glxx

I would do everything in your power to loose the weight you've put on. Sunderland are well known for refusing patients who have put on weight. It's very do able, I've lost 20lbs in the past four weeks preparing for my pre-op appointment and surgery. Also waiting times between endoscopy and surgery have been drastically cut. I know somebody who only had to wait 4 weeks between endoscopy and surgery. So I would say get yourself on slimfast or a very strict diet for the next few months as it doesn't look as if it will be long before surgery for you.

Good luck Hun hope u get ur op n manage to shift the gained weight in time :) x

You can do it! Keep at it, I saw Mr Mahawar in July and like you I surpassed my weight Target. I'm waiting for my endoscopy appointment.
I'm a bit worried that I will gain weight. I recently hurt my Achilles tendon and walking is really painful and am not getting enough exercise:(

i have to agree with everyone else on here, i do know for a fact mr mahawar will put you back if you have gained weight although i know you have lost already the target weight you were asked to lose...but what he is also after is seeing a no weight gain from one appointment to the next...i found slimming world kept me on track, as i have to be monitored on a weekly basis, and you can still eat normally and healthily without sacrificing a very strict fad diet ... there is nothing worse than mr mahawar sat next to you and to tell you that you cannot put anymore weight on or else he will cancel the operation.... speaking from experience xx

Back